ADVERTISEMENT

Some spring scuttlebutt position by position

gferman

SuperCane
Staff
May 29, 2001
The 305/954
www.canesport.com
QB - Vam Dyke and Garcia are both really impressing. Neither will unseat King this year. We arent talking Kosar and Testaverde here. But we arent talking Stephen Morris, Jarren Williams or N'Kosi Perry either. Lashlee and Manny are doing a nice job improving that position. Van Dyke might be slightly ahead because of age but Garcia is right there. he is very consistent and accurate. QB 2 wont be decided til fall and maybe not even then unless it has to be by necessity.

RB - Knighton / Chaney as well can really be called either way though Chaney apparently did not do much in the recent scrimmage. I have yet to have anybody tell me they think Harris is the best back, which is interesting. Some think Knighton is just a shade more fluid than Chaney

TE - Not much to report at this position this spring. A lot of knicks and minimal activity

OL - There is definite improvement with age. How much wont be known til spring , Everyone I speak to raves about the development of Zion Nelson. Donaldson is in way better shape. Gaynor and Scaife are said to be doing better and Rivers is coming along well. The defensive line is very average. So quite honestly it is very difficult to tell you how good these guys really are. We will see in the fall.

WR - Harley is still doing his thing but nobody is deceiving themselves that he is about to be a first round draft pick or anything like that. he is a quality kid who continues to be rewarded by his work ethic and his place in Lashlee's scheme. Rambo's experience really shows but I would be lying if I called him spectacular. he will be very good and a big part of the offense this season. Restrepo has made as much forward progress as anybody on the team. Wiggins and Pope have not been liabilities this spring. They are doing OK. To sum it up, nobody is reminding anybody of Andre Johnson. But this will be a group that continues to be capable of making plays from time to time.

DL - The focus here is on how quickly young guys like Elijah Roberts and Chantz Williams can develop. Nesta, Ford, etc should be about as expected at this point. The talking point at this position right now is Zach McCloud who has been better as a DE than anybody expected. You will see him playing there in the fall. Just not sure yet if he will be a starter. Harvey is doing OK, just dont expect him to be Phillips or Rousseau.

LB - Nobody is really shining above anybody from what I hear. This will be the weak spot of the team most likely.

DB - Stevenson makes this position flat bette. But all those stats you are seeing in the passing game are coming against somebody. The competition at safety has been intense obviously. There id word that Carter is being looked at at striker just to give the coaches options for getting him on the field this late in his career. But some guys are simply not going to be happy with their roles

K - Borregales has a 52-yard field goal the other day. At this stage of his career, he doesnt have the leg strength of his brother, but is showing signs of being a solid kicker right out of the gate

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News