ADVERTISEMENT

Sources have told me that preliminary talks with Charlie Strong have now

gferman

SuperCane
Staff
May 29, 2001
The 305/954
www.canesport.com
broken down because one of Strong's stipulations to consider the Miami job was permission to bring Clint Hurtt back to Miami as a key defensive assistant and recruiter as he was at Louisville.

Hurtt is presently coaching outside linebackers with the Chicago Bears.and has completed his two-year show cause with the NCAA.

He was pivotal as a recruiter in Strong's success at Louisville and Strong wants him back on his staff.

Not sure if that means he can convince Hurtt to come to Texas shold Strong stay in Austin. There is a chance he also could get in the mix at South Carolina or Georgia.

Sources told me that Strong and Miami had agreed on a ballpark salary and budget for assistants through intermediaries last week and were to begin serious discussions after Texas' season was complete.

But when Strong insisted that Miami allow Hurtt to return as a stipulation for seriously considering the job, that, at least for right now, was a deal breaker.

How this affects Butch and Mario remains to be seen but I saw Strong as the guy to beat until this came up.

As usual,this search is getting interesting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News