ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Doldrums, OL Analysis

timujian

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2006
I keep track of every play by the offensive linemen against division one opponents where they attempt to make a block. The total number of snaps will be somewhat higher because there will be times when an OL will not attempt to block anyone and I will make no notation in those cases.

According to the way I am counting, approximately 600 blocking attempts constitutes a full season. For instance, last year, Feliciano and Isidora were the only starters who played in every game . They had a total of 597 and 613 respectively.

The thing that stands out to me most dramatically when considering the prospect for the 2015 OL, is the extreme lack of playing experience throughout the roster. Of the 17 OLs on the roster, only 1, Isidora, has had a full season worth of snaps and he just barely.

The following is the ranking of the total snaps by our OLs:

1. Isidora 620
2. Darling 261
3. Linder 247
4. Gadbois 136
5. Wells 44
6. Gall 37
7. Odogwu 29
8. McDermott 18
9. Brown 0
10. Grimsley 0
11. Knighton 0
12. Milo 0
13. St Louis 0
14. Gauther 0
15. Mahoney 0
16. Jones 0
17. Loftus 0

I am in accord with the conventional thinking that experience is probably more critical for success at the OL than any unit other than QB. It is also critical for OLs to have a lot of experience, not just as individuals, but playing together This group has very little of that. I am in profound disagreement with those who are insouciant in this regard and think it is no big deal. I think it could be a very big deal.

On the other hand, I think this may be one of the most athletically gifted OL units in Miami history.

If this group comes together quickly and has a good (not great) season, coach Kehoe would have to be considered an elite college, OL coach, if he isn't already.

1-Isidora: Got off to a sensational start last season, but took a huge nose dive from the UNC game on and never recovered. Unless he was playing with a significant injury, I find his performance completely inexplicable. As the only veteran on this roster, he has to be the rock. If he fails to return to his early season form from last year, things could get very ugly.
2-Darling: He had a very bad season. He obviously was forced to start before he was ready. He had a very strong bowl game against S. Carolina, however. So that is something to build on. He is a good athlete. I think he is more suited to OG than OT.
3-Linder: My impression of his high school highlights was that he was an overachiever with modest ability and a very high motor. After watching him at the collegiate level, I think he is an exceptional athlete with a very high motor. He is extremely quick and has great balance, I think his best position is OC and I think he can be one of those rare OCs who has the ability to pull. I think his ceiling is very high and he has the potential to be one of Miami's all time great OCs. Last season Linder started in 2 games, VaTech and UNC. In those 2 starts he was sensationally good. He had 28 good, key blocks. This would project to 168 good, key blocks for an entire season. The best season record was Feliciano (2014) 89. This gives you some indication what an absolute terror Linder was in his two starts. In his 2 starts, he was also sensationally bad. He had 12 bad, key blocks which projects to 72 for an entire season. Phipho (2009) holds the record for the worst at 57. This gives you some indication of how pathetic Linder was in his 2 starts. One thing is certain, the coaching staff had no reluctance running behind the true Freshman. I have high expectations for Linder. I think he is going to be very good, very quickly.
4. Gadbois: Played like crap against Louisville to start the season, but after that, he played as well as anyone on the OL until his injury. If he is healthy and can keep his head on straight, I think he will be very good. Another very good athlete.
5. McDermott: He had one of the best OL highlights I have seen. He played less than 20 snaps last year, but he only had 1 ineffective block. I think the sky is the limit for him. Very athletic. I like him at OT.
6. Gall: The coaches have said a lot of nice things about him, but he has barely played. It seems he has been held back by injury a lot.
7. Odogwu: Has played very little. Seems OK as a run blocker, but subpar as a pass blocker. Because of injuries, he got a lot of playing time in the Spring with the first team. I have low expectations for him in the coming season.
8. Wells: He has been in the system a long time, but has played very little. I see him to continue to be buried on the depth chart.
9. Brown: He hasn't played. I have no impression.
10. Grimsley: See Brown.
11. Knighton: He has battled back from a life threatening episode. It is difficult to imagine that he will figure this season.
12. Milo: My favorite true Freshman OL. From his highlights, it looks like he excels at run blocking. He is a road grader equipped with rocket boosters. He is extremely quick off the line of scrimmage and stays low. His pass blocking potential is a complete mystery. There were no pass blocking plays on his highlights. I think he can seriously compete for one of the OG positions.
13, St Louis: A dancing bear. Unusually skillful as a pass blocker at the high school level, Very athletic. He will push Gadbois and McDermott and could start at OT if Gadbois is suspended.
14. Gauthier: I liked his highlights. Another very good athlete.
15. Mahoney: See Gauthier.
16. Jones: I thought his highlights were impressive and he was able to enroll in the Spring, but apparently he struggled badly. I was hoping he would be a factor early on because of his seasoning in JC.
17. Loftus: I did not like his highlights. He looked slow and stiff. He is a mauler type. I would be shocked if he did not redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News