ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after processing what I saw (WAYYY too long)

OrangeBowlMagic

SuperCane
Nov 8, 2005
It's taken me almost 48 hours to really comprehend what I watched on Saturday afternoon. One of the wildest games I've ever attended. As usual, there was a lot of good and a lot of bad to take from that game.

The good: Many Miami fans were whining and complaining after watching the offense the first 2 weeks, and I tried to come on here and explain to some of you guys that what we watched against B-CC and FAU was NOT Miami's offense. It was clear as day that Coley was showing absolutely nothing those first 2 games. Everything was horizontal in weeks 1 and 2. By midway through the first quarter, Kaaya had thrown more balls 15+ yards downfield than he did in both previous games combined. That was by design. Coley knew he had clear advantages in his skill players, and he took advantage early. I thought the gameplan was excellent....identify your advantages and try to exploit them. He did. Matching up Herndon against linebackers, quick hitting routes from the slot, using the pass to set up the run...basically letting Kaaya be the great passer he is. And Miami got rolling early. They had absolutely no answer for the vertical passing game at any point. The athletic advantages were clear as day.

Rashawn Scott. So happy for this kid. He is a PLAYER. Oft injured, poor attitude...all that is behind him and he's flourishing into the kid that many here knew he could be if he could keep his head clear and stay on the field. He's a physical mismatch. Really looking forward to him vs. Jalen Ramsey in 3 weeks. That one will be fun. And the block he threw on Herb's bubble screen. WOW. Flipped one DB, got up and chipped another who was chasing from behind. If I'm the staff watching film, I rewind that one 10 times and make the whole team watch. That's 100% max effort, and the play was a 30 yard gain. Tremendous effort.

Deon. The absolute glue to this defense. Man, what a difference when he goes out. I thought D'Onofrio played it perfectly with him. Again, good coaching is playing to YOUR team's strengths. And Coach D did that. Seemed like Bush was everywhere. When Nebraska ran, he was around the LOS either making plays or altering them. When they passed, he was breaking up passes. He's the best player on this defense and it's not even close right now. Also, as I said, the glue. When he went out, it was straight downhill. You can tell D'Onofrio knows he has no one as versatile as Deon. When he got kicked out, the whole defense changed. I'm very nervous about having him miss a half against Cincy.

Grace. His speed in person is mesmerizing. You could have gotten some pretty decent odds 3 years ago about who would be the better backer, him or 6. Well, that bet is sealed. He's damn good. EXCELLENT in space. But the depth behind him is stunningly bad. Gayot doesn't belong anywhere near the field yet. When Grace went down, the dropoff was significant. Gayot was exploited. We all know this defense is pretty talented at the top, but we have very little depth at LB and can not afford any injuries. Lost Owens last week, Grace this week, and you wind up with Kirby and Gayot playing in your 4-2-5 package all through the 4th quarter. That's not a recipe for success. Neither kid is very good in pass coverage. Huge loss when Grace went out, but he played very well until he got hurt. Must have him back against Cincy to help in the passing game.

Elder. Not even talking about the pick, which was an easy play. But what an athlete. Excellent technique, always around the ball. He's a player. He has really stepped up after Crawford transferred. He and Artie as as good a set of corners as you'll find in this conference.

The O-line. Good, not great. Only 1 sack, but Brad was harassed several times, and this is not the best front we're going to see. These kids have their work cut out for them against FSU, VT, and Clemson 3 weeks in a row. I think you may see a little more reliance on the quick passing game going forward.

Brad Kaaya. What can you say? Kid is absolutely lights out. Yes, he misses a throw here or there....but what college QB doesn't? The ball he dropped to Waters down the Neb sideline was a thing of beauty. Has good command. I just wish Coley would drop the zone read stuff with him. He it totally immobile. No one is going to be buying the pull going forward...you crash down on the back and if Brad pulls it, good luck to him. He also REFUSES to pull the ball and run. I said this all summer. And I personally heard Coley coach it. But still, he will not tuck and get 5 yards and slide. I don't understand it. 2nd and 5 is much better than 2nd and 10. It's a GOOD play to step up when your first read isn't there, and take off. The field is WIDE open 90% of the time because the defense knows he's not a threat to go anywhere vertical up the field. I love that he's always trying to make a play downfield with his eyes and arm, but it's ok to tuck it and pick up 5 yards. He absolutely refuses to do it. No idea why. But overall, damn this kid is good and will only get better. He sprayed the ball all over the field, threw basically every route there is, and looked REAL good all night. How you can be anything but very excited for this kid's future is beyond me. He's the real deal.

Loved how the young kids got involved in the passing game. Brady's first TD, Herndon's first TD (I thought he'd be the breakout player of the offense this year), Cager caught a couple. Excellent to see the young bucks making plays. Don't think I saw a single drop Saturday either. Much improved from the first 2 weeks.

The bad: The penalties. Jesus Lord....how many illegal formations? 6? 2 is beyond unacceptable. How you can fail to lineup properly 6 times is mind-boggling. Golden getting 3 penalties. What a joke. And the best part, on the 15 yarder, he was wrong. It was running into, not roughing. And the guy goes berserk and gets a 15 yard penalty. Also gets one on what would have been a 4th down, extending the drive, and they score to get back into the game. Total clown show. Someone give him a xanax. I love that he's involved emotionally, but damn, be a leader.

Red zone efficiency. Will not beat FSU, Clemson, VT, or GT kicking 5 field goals in the red zone. Coley was excellent 20 to 20. Again, 3rd downs and red zone, terrible. I can't put my finger on it. I think this team has been almost brainwashed by Golden's conservative nature. They seem to lock up when they get close, almost thinking more about not making a mistake than taking 6 points. It's weird. The playcalling goes in a different direction, the kids seem antsy (how many penalties down there?)...but it HAS to get better. Quickly. No one scores 100% of the time, but if you're inside the 10, you can't get 5 field goals. That's how you lose games, or let teams come back from 23 down to almost beat you.

Short yardage. Sorry fellas, we miss Gus Edwards. I think Walton and Yearby are both more talented, and Gus isn't exactly a battering ram, but running Yearby on 3rd and 1 and from the 1 yard line against good teams isn't gonna work. We have to figure something out. Gray, maybe? Tucker? Get creative....use the short passing game down there? Problem is, Brad is zero threat to run. So you can totally load the LOS, play man, and forget about Brad as a runner. Coley has his hands full here. But when you get the ball with 3 mins left up by 8 and you know your defense is 100% spent, you MUST end the game on offense. No excuse to kick the ball back to Nebraska to give them a chance to win. And Yearby gets 7 yards on 1st down, then stuffed twice and we punt. Can not happen. 1 first down there and the game is over. Instead you can't convert, and here comes OT. Must be better in the red zone and short yardage.

Depth. We all knew it was here, but man did it show up Saturday. The kids were DEAD in the 2nd half. Nebraska was far fresher in the 4th quarter. Absolutely no pressure, especially up the middle, at all in the 4th. I saw DJax get in for a play, and got totally swallowed. Chad and AQM need to be better. McCord had Armstrong in his sights several times, and couldn't get a hand on him. Guess what? Golson and Watson are even more elusive. Gotta be able to get these kids on the ground. But when Bush and Grace went out, we were in big trouble. Then Carter goes out, and the defense was totally exposed. Thank God for Corn.

Clock management. Gotta be better. Snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock with 6 mins left in the game with a 2 TD lead is inexcusable. I thought Coley was a little too aggressive late, but I would rather that than go into a shell. But you can be aggressive AND smart with the clock. We were not. Kaaya threw 10 passes in the 4th quarter with a 23 point lead. A little too much, but again, when the clock is running, USE ALL OF IT. Came to bite Miami in the ass late.

All in all, the first 3 quarters were pretty much what I expected. I thought Miami would really have their way offensively. But I thought Neb played poorly on offense. Several drops, bad throws, and Miami's DBs had some hits that jarred balls loose. In the 2nd half, they really turned it on. Armstrong was exceptional..mostly at buying time and making plays with his legs, then arm. Miami's D was ran ragged. But he's much better than he was last year, have to give him credit. He is very similar to what we'll see with Golson in 3 weeks, except Cook is >>>> any of Nebraska's RBs. Will be tough in Tally, but I think Miami can win the game. I truly do. Bottom line, we can talk about the D all we want, and it struggled in the 4th quarter, but if Miami is just DECENT in the redzone, the game is wayyyyy over. Even at 33-10, Miami's offensive ineptitude in the redzone allowed them to stay way too close. Need to step on the throat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News