ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts And Prediction For The Michigan State Game.

advarkas

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
Hometown: Coral Gables; Currently: Downtown FTL
Manny is 0-3 against Non-ACC Power-5 Teams, losing to Florida in Year 1, Oklahoma State (Bowl Game) in Year 2, and Alabama this year in Year 3. Michigan State does not have the talent that either Bama or UF has, but like Oklahoma State, Michigan State is a historically respectable B/B+ level program, with notable NFL players (Flozell Adams, Le'Veon Bell, Plaxico Burress, Brad Van Pelt, Kirk Cousins, Andre Rison, Earl Morrall, Mushin Muhammad, T.J. Duckett, Jack Conklin, Derrick Mason).

Michigan State is 2-0. Saw some of the Spartans' game vs. Northwestern- a physical team emphasizing the run implementing a mix of traditional offensive concepts with Singleback using 12/13 personnel groupings, and modern spread offensive concepts with Pistol 10/11/12/13 personnel groupings. Shotgun when the down and distance is long. Kenneth Walker and Jordon Simmons present a formbidble 1-2 RB punch, and Walker, who transferred to Michigan State from Wake Forest, will likely be a 1st-3rd Round NFL Draft pick. Peyton Thorne is a decent QB. Michigan State does not throw a lot, but the Spartans have been VERY effective this early season setting up the play action passing game with its strong runnig game. Thorne completes 65% with 5 TDs and 0 INTs. Jaylen Reed is a dynamic WR- Spartans' best skil player IMO. Had a big freshman season, and has already had some explosive plays this year. Michigan State looks like it has a well-balanced Defense. Senior Xavier Henderson is a Safety who lines up all over the field for the Spartans. Saw him have a good sack against Northwestern, and ended up with 10-11 tackles in that game.

For us, it will be critical to GET AHEAD EARLY. Michigan State enjoyed a 14-0 lead against Northwestern, and a 21-0 lead against Youngstown State, which perfectly played into the Spartans' power running game to secure leads, chew clock, and wear out opposing defenses while giving the Spartans' defense rest. Rhett HAS to have this Offense ready to go, and get us out to a 10-0/14-3 type lead. We'll see. Defensively, just don't give up big plays to either Kenneth Walker in the running game or Jaylen Reed in the passing game. Simple, straightforward. It's going to be a f**king SWAMP OVEN tomorrow at high noon, so force Michigan State into 10-12-15 play drives each possession. South Florida is a far cry from East Lansing.

1st Quarter - I think that we will jump out to an early TD lead, and look good first 1-2 series. But the game will begin to bog down, and Michigan State will get a FG towards the end of the quarter. 7-3 First Quarter.

2nd Quarter - More of the same that we saw in the First Quarter. I think that our Defense will get 1-2 sacks and force 1-2 turnovers and set up our Offense with a much needed short field to get a TD. I see the First Half as a mostly defensive struggle, and the teams will trade FGs after we score a TD on a short field, taking a 17-6 lead into Halftime.

3rd Quarter - I think that the quarter will be mostly bogged down and boring. Several punts back and forth, but I think that Rhett makes some halftime adjustments and we engineer a high quality drive and Michigan State also gets a TD somewhere. 24-13 3rd Quarter.

4th Quarter - I think we will heavily lean on the running game, mostly mundane 4th Quarter playcalling trying to hold a 10-11 point lead. I think Michigan State will slowly but steadily try to chip away at the lead and hit a FG to make the game a one-score game. I think we add a FG late with about 5 minutes left to restore our double digit 2-possession lead, and that will be enough.

A mostly unimpressive, uninspiring, and unorganized win, but a 10-11 point win nonetheless as we move forward to ACC play.

Miami 27 - Michigan State 16

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News