ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Nuggets (Update)

gferman

SuperCane
Staff
May 29, 2001
The 305/954
www.canesport.com
Sources out west tell me that the chances that Mario Cristobal will be available to Miami or anybody else are virtually non-existent. He is going to get a lucrative new contract at Oregon and recruiting there is blowing up. They think they have a legit shot for example, to get Justin Flowe to go with Noah Sewell, both 5 star LBs. It goes on from there. Mario has it all going on out there and let's be honest, there are a lot of issues here. He is the best guy to fix all of the problems Miami has right now but he is not going to be available unless something changes

So when I look at the landscape, when you factor in the costs of buying out Manny and the acquisition costs of a new coach, I don't know who they would be able to get that would justify the massive cost of a coaching change right now

Manny and staff are out recruiting business as usual and I expect it to stay that way through the end of the year unless a coach decides to leave before that himself.

After the first of the year, I think anything is on the table.

Assuming Manny is back, I do think there will be staff changes. I cant imagine Dan Enos back as OC for example the way things ended with the quarterbacks and the offense. I expect the changes to extend beyond that, though rumors Monday that Enos was fired already were absolutely false.

I do not think the Ohio State model I proposed will happen, though I personally remain a proponent of it simply because what Manny does best is coach defense and he really struggled as a head coach this year.

I spoke a lot in the last few weeks about a football GM position being created and I spoke about Alonzo Highsmith's receptiveness and all the benefits that would bring to the program.

I do continue to believe that is a possibility. Sources continue to tell me that Highsmith would be interested in taking on that role. So that will be something to continue to watch moving forward.

People do recognize there are problems and they do care. I am not sure there is a lot of agreement on the solutions and for that reason the chances are good that the easiest path will be to go the FSU route and see how year 2 goes and hope it turns out better than it did in Tallahassee.

I just wonder if Manny can get coaches the level of Kendal Briles and Jim Leavitt and FSU still did not meet expectations this year.

We shall see.

We will discuss everything tonight on CaneSport Live

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News