ADVERTISEMENT

UM Baseball: Surprise name enters transfer portal

AtlantaCane

SuperCane
Sep 7, 2005
Port Orange, Florida
Hello, Baseball Caniacs...

Long time no chat...

The deadline to enter the college baseball portal was July 1 so I just took a peek at the portal on Div1Baseball.com and UM had 9 players listed for quite a while until
a last few days when a new name was added:

FR RHP Victor Mederos.

Surprised? I am. Compared to our other top pitching recruit, FR righty Alejandro Rosario, Victor didn't perform as well this past season as either he or the coaches
had hoped so maybe he wants a fresh start away from home.

Checking the latest ACC pitching stats, they only show the top 37 pitchers and Victor is not listed. Alejandro was the highest-rated Cane at No. 29 with a 6-4 record
and a 5.21 ERA in 15 games. He was named second team All-American by Perfect Game. We had only one other pitcher among the 37, FR RHP Jake Garland at No. 31.
He too had a 6-4 record with an ERA of 5.69 in 16 games. Looking at Victor's stats, he finished 2-3 with an ERA of 5.11 in 12 games. The ACC leader was UVA's Andrew
Abbott at 9-5 but an ERA of 2.46.

D1Baseball shows their list was last updated Jun 29 and has 2,026 players. However, there is no telling the timeline, when did the players enter and what year did they
last play so we don't know how accurate or up to date their list is. If the deadline was July 1, one would think there was activity in the final two days. Have any of the
former UM players found a new home? I found one player who has.

Here's the current list of Miami players in the D1Baseball.com transfer portal (note the number of freshmen):

Chad BornFR/2021OF6-1183Placentia, CAOrange Lutheran
Luis EspinalFR/2021INF6-1226MiamiDoral Academy
Adam FrankRS SOPH/2021INF/OF6-0190Saddle Brook, NJHillsborough CC
Victor MederosFR/2021RHP6-3220MiamiWestminster Christian
Alex MunroeFR/2021LHP5-9188ClermontRidge Community
Jared ThomasFR/2021Catcher/OF5-11185Lakewood, CAOrange Lutheran
Isaac QuinonesJR/2020Catcher5-9188Pembroke PinesWest Broward
Mykanthony ValdezFR/2020INF/OF6-1226DavieCalvary Christian
Nathan Thomas*FR/2019 signee?RHP6-4238PlantationSt. Thomas Aquinas
Giuseppe Ferraro**FR/2019 signee?3B/SS6-4200Ft. LauderdaleAmerica Heritage
*I found Nathan on the roster at John A. Logan College in Carterville, IL. No idea why he moved on but here's his player's page.
**I found Giuseppe on a Perfect Game page listed as a 2020 grad and a UM commit so who knows why he's in the portal. Here's his PG page.

BTW, FSU has 11 players in the portal while UF has 9. National champ Mississippi St. shows 15 and CWS participant Arizona 14, so coaches all over the country are seeing their rosters blow up and with COVID and the NCAA it's anybody's guess what the numbers will look like next year.

As soon as the information is available, CaneSport will post a story updating the UM roster including incoming recruits. I am running way behind but as promised, I still plan to post a post-mortem on our 2021 Canes baseball team ASAP.

In the meantime, I hope U all have a safe and Happy 4th of July holiday weekend.

Go Canes!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News