ADVERTISEMENT

What is the consensus what the best high performance daily driving car is?

SuperCane
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2005
I’ll wait but I really don’t think that as subjective as this question is that it’s not going to be an overwhelming consensus.

what is the car that you can have the most fun driving around town every day that you can put a ton of miles on and isn’t going to break the bank if you need new common replacement parts, parts mind you that are for the most part accessible?

i have a 98 xk8 jag vert, British racing green with 16,000 miles on it, original owner, still have the sticker, garaged, jag dealer maintenenced etc and I’m struggling to sell it even in this market for $15,000 just to put towards my dream car.

crazy to think that at this time every year you see sick insane deals on cars and if anything, cars are more expensive in dec than they were in june, by a lot. It was the same thing last dec. I’ve never seen anything like this.

i have a friend that just bought a bmw m4 six months ago, put 15,000 miles on it and just sold it back to bmw for 8,000 more for what she paid for it.

moral of the story, don’t buy jags new and let’s go brandon.

Last edited:
Mine is a 2021 Z4 M, BMW. Rag top with power. Supposed to be 3.8, 0-60 but who cares ..a two seater rag top that counts.

If you are really looking at HIGH PERFORMANCE daily driver .. it is very hard to beat the 2022 Corvette Stingray. Literally has Ferrari performance and handling and probably the most bang for the buck as far as performance and luxury interior on the market. I've never been a Corvette fan .. liked the originals up to '62. But from a performance perspective that new Stingray is a monster of performance and also docile in traffic. Classic .. the Jag XKE ... cockpit feels like a fighter jet and the drivers seat and shift console fit like a glove.

Reactions: jpboca
Hands down...
corvette-3-abc-er-200308_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg

6882 Just look at my pic. you have your answer
PS I have an 89 XJS Rogue edition 12 cylinder Jag. Always getting offers on the street
You have to buy the right model, year

Reactions: jpboca
Have a Mercedes C300, the 4Matic comes in handy with the Snow here in New Hampshire

My daily dream car would be the Mercedes AMG GT - Stealth Edition
I’m sure that would drive so nicely in the New Hampshire snow LOL
When I first brought my jag to Colorado I couldnt get it 12 ft past the Jag service department driveway, after a few inches of snow. Too much horsepower, not enough traction! LOL

I have 3 bmws and the 4401, hardtop convertible is a good handling rocket. Has run flat tires and AWD but is not great in the NH mountains and can't manage pot holes.

Can't load my motocross bike in any of those, give me my Ford Econoline van or my F-250. Lol.

6882 Just look at my pic. you have your answer
PS I have an 89 XJS Rogue edition 12 cylinder Jag. Always getting offers on the street
You have to buy the right model, year
Majus,

Got to admit, I didn’t picture you like this. 😎

Last edited:
I drive a black 528i BMW - love that car -have had es350 Lexuses ( leases) but switched to the Beamer in 2020 and decided to buy this time - I just beat the price increase thank God

Bought a 1995 Porsche 911 in 2002 sold it in 2007. Then I purchased a 2005 Porsche Cayenne S in 2007 as kids were on the way.
By far and away the best handling most powerful vehicles I’ve owned.

Reactions: 6882
You are all wrong, lol. My thread lol. The answer is porsche 911. I have to admit I have never driven a vette and always wanted a z6 sting ray mid 00’s. The only car imo that can pull off yellow or daytona orange. Boogie nights vette in candy apple red, thing of beauty. Has a lot to be said for it. Parts are accessible, can take it to any legit mechanic, i think more horse power than any car under 200 grand, looks bad ass, can rack up 100’s of thousands of miles and be happy, etc. fyi chaney mason is selling his 58 sting ray all original with like 35,000 miles in pristine shape for $150 at the micam auto auction in orlando in jan if any of you are interested. Any way can’t argue the vette votes because I’ve never driven one but I get it.

anyways, vette as far as I know only comes in rear wheel drive and the hoods always stick out far which look cool but... Something to me about a sports car that digs into the road like a scared cat digging its claws in (awd). The engines in the back and you can feel every movement of whats going on. The way it’s built, there are no blind spots and everything is right near you. What’s weird is that as small as the hood and trunk are you still feel enclosed/secure/structure. The wheels are high up enough on the ground where drive ways and speed bumps aren’t a big deal. It’s like like you’re in a space saucer and the seats just engulf you like a scene out of star wars.

my favorite aspect of the 911… you can have crazy fun around town and be safe and legal because you’re car is going to do exactly what you want it to do instantaneously like it’s a part of you. Go 35 mph and take 45 degree turn with out breaking no prob. Want to go from 25 mph to 75 mph on the ramp in 2.5 sec, it’ll do it with ease but be more fun because you can feel everything happening like it’s a part of you as oppose to an sl 600 or something that’s just luxuriously fast if you will.

If you are really looking at HIGH PERFORMANCE daily driver .. it is very hard to beat the 2022 Corvette Stingray. Literally has Ferrari performance and handling and probably the most bang for the buck as far as performance and luxury interior on the market. I've never been a Corvette fan .. liked the originals up to '62. But from a performance perspective that new Stingray is a monster of performance and also docile in traffic. Classic .. the Jag XKE ... cockpit feels like a fighter jet and the drivers seat and shift console fit like a glove.
Too expensive. Stay with me. I’m in the 50’s category so we’re looking at a car with some miles on it and about 30,000+ miles to go. Have to say regarding my xk8, it’s crazy how good the acceleration, breaks and ease of glide is. The car is bad ass, terrible investment though. I bought it off my parents for 12 like 8 years ago and thought I got a steel. The mechanics are amazing but everything else i’ve had to put money into and I’ve just never gotten away from my dads 911 carrera 4. It’s not the same. Not even close. When you’ve owned a jag you just know it’s one of those weekend cars you can only get 60,000 miles out of and never get your return on. No car has been the same as the 911. It’s like the one that got away that I just never got over.

I kind of consider the porsche 911 the gratefull dead of sports cars. Jerry was no eddie or jimmy but he could freaking play and had his own style. The dead weren’t known as THE best song writers but it could be argued that they made the best music. You had other great bands like phish (bmw) try to model their style off of his but it wasn’t the same. It’s just in it’s own category. The 911 isn’t trying to be like a vette or a farrari. That category is niche but it’s one of the most innovative biggest followings of all times and way underrated for what it is/they did for a very good reason.

Car I mistakenly didn't buy about 15 years ago was a drop dead beautiful 1960 356 Speedster Coupe. White, tan interior ... looked factory new. Instead of that I had ERA Replica Motorcars in New Britain Ct build a 289FIA cobra replica (my avatar). Simple mechanics .. 331 Stroker motor (302 based) .. 5 speed Tremec transmission .. IRS and Jag rear split into a hub with outboard brakes. 446 hp @ 6000 rpm, car weighs 2400 pounds and handles great on a road racing track. Car was a dream when I was in high school. Would love to have an older 911 parked alongside .. different sound to that flat 6 when it's screaming.

Reactions: 6882 and Hermbike
Clearly I love porche but I’m starting to take issue with them getting away from what put them on the map. The car in your reply is going for close to $300,000. It’s like they’re getting away from the high performance DAILY DRIVER model to competing with Ferrari. The 997 models (2006-2008) for example cost a third of that and can go for 200,000 miles and if/when you have to maintenence them or replace the parts, you neither have to take it to a Porsche dealer nor pay unrealistic prices for parts that are very difficult to get your hands on.

Car I mistakenly didn't buy about 15 years ago was a drop dead beautiful 1960 356 Speedster Coupe. White, tan interior ... looked factory new. Instead of that I had ERA Replica Motorcars in New Britain Ct build a 289FIA cobra replica (my avatar). Simple mechanics .. 331 Stroker motor (302 based) .. 5 speed Tremec transmission .. IRS and Jag rear split into a hub with outboard brakes. 446 hp @ 6000 rpm, car weighs 2400 pounds and handles great on a road racing track. Car was a dream when I was in high school. Would love to have an older 911 parked alongside .. different sound to that flat 6 when it's screaming.
That’s what’s cool about your car amongst many other things. I’d say that’s more of a trophy car though than a daily driver. I think I’d be reluctant to leave it in the parking lot where I work for an entire night shift for example. You’ve seen where I work too so it’s not even like I’m in a bad area.

Reactions: 289fia
What price range?
40-140. Obviously there’s some subjectivity to this but I just see anything over that being a car that draws attention that you don’t want to leave in a parking lot unattended for an extended period of time. If it’s a daily driver, you should be able to drive it any time any where with in reason. If something breaks on it, you shouldn’t go broke trying to fix it or have to take it back to the brands dealership or wait 6 months for a part.

Bought a 1995 Porsche 911 in 2002 sold it in 2007. Then I purchased a 2005 Porsche Cayenne S in 2007 as kids were on the way.
By far and away the best handling most powerful vehicles I’ve owned.
Everyone that I’ve talked to that has owned this car freaking raves about it like it’s life changing. Clearly there’s something to it. Cool thing too is that, it’s post antiquated/dated interior but prior to it all going to computers. 05-12 is my favorite era of Porsches.

Have you driven one?

What makes it not a DD in your opinion?
"Daily Driver" is a car that you can drive daily on normal errands, work routine, leave it parked in a parking lot at a train station or Mall, and not be overly concerned about it being stolen or trashed. Generally $200,000 Ferraris are .. wonderful cars to drive .. and are NOT left untended for any length of time.

Reactions: 6882
"Daily Driver" is a car that you can drive daily on normal errands, work routine, leave it parked in a parking lot at a train station or Mall, and not be overly concerned about it being stolen or trashed. Generally $200,000 Ferraris are .. wonderful cars to drive .. and are NOT left untended for any length of time.
That’s subjective. The target market for the Roma is a new Ferrari buyer who wouldn’t consider the rest of the Ferrari line because of the issues you mentioned. Plenty of you tube reviews that conclude it could be a DD. Price should not determine it because there are plenty of people for whom $300K is the same as $30K for most others. Is a $450K Rolls Royce a DD? Of course it is.

Everyone that I’ve talked to that has owned this car freaking raves about it like it’s life changing. Clearly there’s something to it. Cool thing too is that, it’s post antiquated/dated interior but prior to it all going to computers. 05-12 is my favorite era of Porsches.
Yup air cooled also. A lot Porsche love the older air cooler engines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT