ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Wong returning to Miami as expected

mshodell

SuperCane
Staff
Jul 31, 2001
Miami, FL
miami.rivals.com
The University of Miami announced Tuesday morning that Isaiah Wong of the men’s basketball team will come back to school for the 2021-22 season.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound guard initially entered his name into consideration for the 2021 NBA Draft, while maintaining his collegiate eligibility, but has decided to return to Miami.

A Third Team All-ACC honoree last season, Wong averaged 17.1 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.1 steals per game, becoming the first Hurricane since the program rebirth (1985-86) to reach each of those figures in the same season.

Wong, who finished fifth in the ACC in scoring, tied for the league lead with 11 20-point performances, including a 30-point showing in a win over No. 16/18 Louisville. He also earned ACC All-Tournament Second Team distinction after averaging 17.3 points across three games.

A native of Piscataway, N.J., Wong has played in all 58 contests the past two seasons, starting 39 and averaging 12.1 points per game. He will be a third-year sophomore during the 2021-22 campaign.

QUOTES

Isaiah Wong:
“Being in the NBA has been a lifelong dream of mine. Experiencing workouts and interviews, along with seeing some of the day-to-day life of being a professional, has given me a taste of just how close I am to having that dream come true. With that said—after taking it all in, now armed with the knowledge of what it’s going to take to be the type of candidate I desire—my family and I have decided that I will be returning to Miami to fight for more! I’m 100% committed to doing what it takes to return this program where it belongs and have the season it deserves. I have no doubt we have the tools needed to make some noise this year. Being a Hurricane is one of my greatest accomplishments and the chance to compete again alongside my teammates and coaches, while developing into who I need to be as a player and leader, is an opportunity I don't take lightly. Let’s work!”

Head coach Jim Larrañaga: “Isaiah gained valuable insights from NBA teams while navigating the pre-draft process and learned a great deal that will help him as he pursues his goal of playing at the highest level. My staff and I will continue to do all we can to help him make that dream a reality. We are thrilled Isaiah, who is a model Hurricane, has decided to come back to Miami next year to build upon the tremendous season he had as a sophomore.”

Reactions: randcarlson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News