ADVERTISEMENT

Black People/Black Athelete's......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flea1384

SuperCane
Nov 22, 2013
You had one courageous young Black Man take a stand by having a hunger strike. Results...None! No heavy Media coverage No results! You have a small percentage of young Black football player's take a stand. Result's...A sitting University President had to resign! The Power structure is in trouble when Black Player's/Black People rise and realize the power they have by using there political equity through sports. Get ready for the Backlash! You have become a threat! Great Job! The young people both Black and White should be applauded!

You had one courageous young Black Man take a stand by having a hunger strike. Results...None! No heavy Media coverage No results! You have a small percentage of young Black football player's take a stand. Result's...A sitting University President had to resign! The Power structure is in trouble when Black Player's/Black People rise and realize the power they have by using there political equity through sports. Get ready for the Backlash! You have become a threat! Great Job! The young people both Black and White should be applauded!
Can someone please explain what the hell this is all about? I still have not seen the backstory on all of this.

Can someone please explain what the hell this is all about? I still have not seen the backstory on all of this.
Generally speaking the University president didn't act when students complained about racist comments toward an African American fraternity president. Then there were other similar incidents but the president didn't appear to take it seriously. The closest coming to addressing it was saying he would look into it April of next year. He refused to even discuss the situation with the students and leadership.

The backstory on Flea? Sure. He is a poster 4 times banned from CS. Whenever he gets reinstated each time, an issue on its own, he likes to start threads fixated on race, race issues, accusing other posters of being racist if they don't like a coach that isn't white (eventhough 99% of the time it's because the coach is doing a poor job). You could say he is your resident Al Sharpton......but there are actually about 3 of those on CS, one to combat each of the actual 3 racist posters on Canesport. You would be led to believe by him, however, there are hundreds of racists on CS.

I think that about covers it. Was that the question you were asking? :D

Generally speaking the University president didn't act when students complained about racist comments toward an African American fraternity president. Then there were other similar incidents but the president didn't appear to take it seriously. The closest coming to addressing it was saying he would look into it April of next year. He refused to even discuss the situation with the students and leadership.

Mandatory Diversity training for faculty, staff and students was implemented on October 8th.

President met with Concerned Student 1950 - after they blocked his car during the Homecoming parade - but did not agree to any of their demands.

Basically there were three incidents; random guy in truck yells the N word at the Fraternity President, another random guy again yells the N word toward a group that was rehearsing and then a swastika was drawn in the dorms from human feces. All are despicable acts. All show the character of the person performing the act. None is institutional and none is warranted in the President losing his job.

Mandatory Diversity training for faculty, staff and students was implemented on October 8th.

President met with Concerned Student 1950 - after they blocked his car during the Homecoming parade - but did not agree to any of their demands.

Basically there were three incidents; random guy in truck yells the N word at the Fraternity President, another random guy again yells the N word toward a group that was rehearsing and then a swastika was drawn in the dorms from human feces. All are despicable acts. All show the character of the person performing the act. None is institutional and none is warranted in the President losing his job.
I don't think the students share that opinion though. It isn't really about anyone but them. They don't feel it was addressed....and according to them he wouldn't meet with them so they waited for him to get to his car. They didn't wait to block his car. They waited to see if he would discuss it or schedule something to discuss it. Neither happened.

Listen, I don't want to take sides here but the fact is if the students don't feel the subject was adequately addressed....who are we to say it was?

Reactions: m.dan and OnGCane
I don't think the students share that opinion though. It isn't really about anyone but them. They don't feel it was addressed....and according to them he wouldn't meet with them so they waited for him to get to his car. They didn't wait to block his car. They waited to see if he would discuss it or schedule something to discuss it. Neither happened.

Listen, I don't want to take sides here but the fact is if the students don't feel the subject was adequately addressed....who are we to say it was?

So, based on the facts, which I shared based on a Missourian newspaper article on November 6th, do you think the President should have been fired or forced to resign?

They stopped his car during the Homecoming parade.

He met with the student group on October 27th. One of their demands during the meeting was for him to resign.

So, based on the facts, which I shared based on a Missourian newspaper article on November 6th, do you think the President should have been fired or forced to resign?

They stopped his car during the Homecoming parade.

He met with the student group on October 27th. One of their demands during the meeting was for him to resign.
It depends on what version of the so called facts are accurate here. The so called facts I have seen say the students and the head football coach were constantly blown off. Of course they are going to have a list of demands. Nobody wants to be called the N word in their own community. I would demand something be done about that too. That's only normal.

My issue is if you are the president you have to address the matter. You are the leader of the school. If you choose not to address it then you shouldn't be president. Plain and simple for me.

What he should have done is if he didn't think the demands were warranted he should have had gone about that a different way too. You have to call for an impartial review. Upon that review if the findings show the demands have no merit you should work toward some kind of compromise.

Again, the facts as they have been presented to me aren't necessarily the same facts you have. I don't know which one is or isn't accurate. That's why I say it depends on which version is.

If he did in fact meet with them already and address this situation the right way then he shouldn't be forced to resign. I don't know that is what occurred based on what the students and the Missouri coach were saying.

President should have called the football team's bluff. Should have said anyone who misses a practice will have their scholarship revoked. Guarantee nobody misses practice.
LOL...the problem is I don't think the president is as popular as the football team from what I understand. I think he realized that in the end. Pulling their scholarships would have gone over like a fart in church. The problem is the students sided with the kids.

It depends on what version of the so called facts are accurate here. The so called facts I have seen say the students and the head football coach were constantly blown off. Of course they are going to have a list of demands. Nobody wants to be called the N word in their own community. I would demand something be done about that too. That's only normal.

My issue is if you are the president you have to address the matter. You are the leader of the school. If you choose not to address it then you shouldn't be president. Plain and simple for me.

What he should have done is if he didn't think the demands were warranted he should have had gone about that a different way too. You have to call for an impartial review. Upon that review if the findings show the demands have no merit you should work toward some kind of compromise.

Again, the facts as they have been presented to me aren't necessarily the same facts you have. I don't know which one is or isn't accurate. That's why I say it depends on which version is.

If he did in fact meet with them already and address this situation the right way then he shouldn't be forced to resign. I don't know that is what occurred based on what the students and the Missouri coach were saying.

I quoted my source, The Missourian, and a newspaper article from November 6th with a detailed time line of events. Emma Vandelinder is the author of the article.

Here is a time line,

Sept 12 - Missouri Student Assoc President called the N word by a passenger in a pick up truck
Oct 5 - Legion of Black Collegians called the N word by a guy on a cell phone while rehearsing
Oct 8 - Mandatory diversity training for faculty, staff and students
Oct 10 - Members of Concerned Student 1950 block the car carrying MU President during Homecoming parade
Oct 21 - Members of 1950 issue demands, including firing of MU President
Oct 24 - A swastika made with human feces is discovered in the dorm.
Oct 27 - MU President meets with members of 1950
Nov 2 - Jonathon Butler goes on Hunger strike
Nov 8 - MU football going to walk out
Nov 9 - MU President Resigns

There you have it. Facts are facts, not your facts or my facts - just facts.

Now your perception of those facts and what should happen based on that is what is at question.

The Head Coach sided with his players who were boycotting so I doubt their scholarships would have been revoked.
When you are in a leadership position at a university people have absolutely no idea what they are talking bout. They strong arm stuff really doesn't work like it may in the business world.

You have to at least be willing to work with people. In business you can say I am not working with you. I will fire you and get someone else. Well, this is a different world. Which is why you saw a resignation today.

He should have at least attempted to resolve the matter. Well at least according to these students he didn't attempt to resolve it.

Extremely slippery slope. He had no choice even if he didnt agree. Anyone with common sense knew that was his only play.

The Head Coach sided with his players who were boycotting so I doubt their scholarships would have been revoked.

I quoted my source, The Missourian, and a newspaper article from November 6th with a detailed time line of events. Emma Vandelinder is the author of the article.

Here is a time line,

Sept 12 - Missouri Student Assoc President called the N word by a passenger in a pick up truck
Oct 5 - Legion of Black Collegians called the N word by a guy on a cell phone while rehearsing
Oct 10 - Members of Concerned Student 1950 block the car carrying MU President during Homecoming parade

Now your perception of those facts and what should happen based on that is what is at question.

I'm not sure you are understanding what I am saying. Just because they are presented by a certain news outlet as the facts, that doesn't make them the facts. We don't know what happened at the meeting. We don't know for a fact there was one the students would characterize as a meeting. They are saying they weren't heard. That is a fact too you know. The head football coach sided with the kids for this reason. My understanding is he attempted to address the issue too with the president to no avail. So, let's slow down here on what we call facts.

What did the president do exactly as a solution? Do your fact present this? If not there is your problem. You can say he met but what did he DO! What did he suggest? He is the leader of the University. LEAD! If he didn't lead I don't know what to tell you other than he shouldn't be president...Oh, and leading isn't saying okay we all here. I am not giving in to your list of demands. Thanks for coming. That isn't leading. What exactly did he do?

Reactions: OnGCane

Here is a time line,

From the Presidents mouth when he resigned -
Mr. Wolfe announced his resignation just before meeting with the university’s governing body, the Board of Curators, on campus here, the flagship of the four-campus system.
“It is my belief we stopped listening to each other,” Mr. Wolfe said. “We have to respect each other enough to stop yelling at each other and start listening, and quit intimidating each other.”
“I take full responsibility for this frustration,” he added, “and I take full responsibility for the inaction that has occurred.”

Reactions: oldschoolcane
President should have called the football team's bluff. Should have said anyone who misses a practice will have their scholarship revoked. Guarantee nobody misses practice.
You can't guarantee shyt dawg...I'm sure you mean well but act as if you personally knew what their boiling point was!! Neither one of us know/knew so like me, you can't guarantee that...

Last edited:
Reactions: rico-tubbs
You can't guarantee shyt dawg...I'm sure you mean well but act as if you personally knew what their boiling point was!! Neither one of us know/knew so like me, you can't guarantee that...

....not to mention this would have cost the University 1 Million dollars. Money talks. check out this article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...litical-power-of-the-college-student-athlete/

University Presidents don't have the leverage people think they have. The job is to lead and the customer base is the student body....their parents / donors pay the bills for the most part. The sponsors pay as a result of what these students do...so talking tough means absolutely nothing.

Reactions: m.dan
If it had gotten to this point their BOT should have stepped in and removed him. It may well be justified this time, but that is moving target (justification). By it going this route, I am sure this will be tried again at other universities and not just confined to racial issues. Again, the prez may have needed to go, but the BOT at this point should jump in and take control. Always better for the BOT than the a small segment of students, regardless of their affiliation, to dictate. The group would then be successful in having garnered the attention to the issue and the BOT looks in control for responding.

From the Presidents mouth when he resigned -
Mr. Wolfe announced his resignation just before meeting with the university’s governing body, the Board of Curators, on campus here, the flagship of the four-campus system.
“It is my belief we stopped listening to each other,” Mr. Wolfe said. “We have to respect each other enough to stop yelling at each other and start listening, and quit intimidating each other.”
“I take full responsibility for this frustration,” he added, “and I take full responsibility for the inaction that has occurred.”

Well, I don't think he would be saying this if it weren't the case. Everyone involved including him says he didn't act. So I don't see what the debate is about.

So now what? They got the aloof old white guy to resign. Now they will probably appoint another aloof old white guy , who will form a committee which will endorse a task force which will examine the issues and issue a white ( is this politically correct) paper which will list 15 items , 14 of which will never be implemented .
Other then the resignation , what exactly are the demands ?

So now what? They got the aloof old white guy to resign. Now they will probably appoint another aloof old white guy , who will form a committee which will endorse a task force which will examine the issues and issue a white ( is this politically correct) paper which will list 15 items , 14 of which will never be implemented .
I'm pretty sure they feel they got what they wanted. ACTION....vs inaction. Now, please don't pretend all old white guys are going to be inactive on issues of diversity and racial injustice. Also, don't assume the next president will be white or even a man. I'm sure they will qualify a candidate more sensitive to the needs of the University student body as a whole.

Universities have been at the front of change, and demonstrations for many many years. It truly is nothing new.

So, please don't imply the efforts were meaningless. Their point was made. If there is a concern, it should be acted upon. If the next president refuses to act, you better believe they can get rid of him just as easy.

This is a result of the real Ferguson Effect that is happening on Mizzou campus. The media will never cover this story. The racial tension that's happening on Mizzou campus is a direct result of the killing of Mike Brown

This is a result of the real Ferguson Effect that is happening on Mizzou campus. The media will never cover this story. The racial tension that's happening on Mizzou campus is a direct result of the killing of Mike Brown
I'm sorry but whatever happened to spur this should have nothing to do with Mike Brown's sorry ass. Don't rob a store, don't try to beat the sh#t out of an officer and you won't end up dead. Consequences for your own actions are real and they're a motherf#cker!

The backstory on Flea? Sure. He is a poster 4 times banned from CS. Whenever he gets reinstated each time, an issue on its own, he likes to start threads fixated on race, race issues, accusing other posters of being racist if they don't like a coach that isn't white (eventhough 99% of the time it's because the coach is doing a poor job). You could say he is your resident Al Sharpton......but there are actually about 3 of those on CS, one to combat each of the actual 3 racist posters on Canesport. You would be led to believe by him, however, there are hundreds of racists on CS.

I think that about covers it. Was that the question you were asking? :D
mmako The chief race baiter on this site! You're the reason why we can't have a open and honest discussion about race. You're to insecure and ignorant when it comes to race based conversation's!

Reactions: canescando

You have half the story right. I been following this situation from the beginning.

Reactions: canescando
Skipppy people like yourself better wake up and realize the scare tactics that worked in the past will not work going foward! They forced the of a University! They made a President resign! This was all about a small percentage of Black football player's flexing there muscle's!

Of Course,I can only voice my opinion but I don't think people who are black want
to be perceived as being a threat. I think they want to be treated equally,no more and no less than
anyone else.

GO CANES!

That's a start! The "aloof old white guy's" is the people that is running the world and college football. lol

Of Course,I can only voice my opinion but I don't think people who are black want
to be perceived as being a threat. I think they want to be treated equally,no more and no less than
anyone else.

GO CANES!
Black People has always been a "perceived threat"! Where have you been? Mike Brown was a "perceived threat"! Trayvon was a "perceived threat"! Eric Garner was a "perceived threat"!

I think we throw the term leadership around way too easily. It isn't about having a desk with a name plate sitting on it. It isn't about a uniform. Leadership is doing what others aren't qualified or prepared to do. The things that must be done for the greater good.

You have to listen. You have to be willing to discuss opposing views. You have to be able to even engage your enemy. Build consensus. It isn't saying well I have the title so I am billy bad ass. So, go kick rocks because I don't agree.

You have to make a good faith effort to put yourself in someone else's position. That's leadership. If you can't do that then you shouldn't be in a leadership position. You should resign.

For me if he said okay let's meet. Then agree on an impartial group to listen to what has occurred....and let's determine what is fair for all involved. Sometimes you can't but if you don't even try. You aren't a leader.

Gary and canesport Pleeeease do not Ban me! I'm just voicing my opinion on a college football issue.

mmako The chief race baiter on this site! You're the reason why we can't have a open and honest discussion about race. You're to insecure and ignorant when it comes to race based conversation's!

Lol this is a college sports site. Your constant race threads (which is essentially all of your threads) are unnecessary, same as threads on here that start talking about politics. I'm perfectly comfortable with all races btw. Lots of latin friends, lots of black friends. I do business with latin people, and about an hour ago I picked up a check from the FAMU foundation for an event we recently handled from them. So spare me with your clown race threads and accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT