ADVERTISEMENT

Can’t Imagine How Difficult Is The Decision For Mario.

advarkas

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
Hometown: Coral Gables; Currently: Downtown FTL
Oregon:

On one hand he has built an excellent Oregon roster the last few years full of top talent. Justin Herbert, Javon Holland and Penei Sewell are balling in the NFL, and he continues to stack Oregon with 4 and 5 star talent. Oregon has top-5 facilities/resources in the country, and Mario has the full financial backing of Phil Knight. Oregon has high state income taxes, but Eugene is quieter and nicer and safer than South Florida. Wife’s and kids’ considerations are a factor. Oregon has been to 3 PAC-12 Championships, and although one can argue that Mario has underachieved some with the level of talent which he has acquired, there is no doubt Oregon is poised to be a top-10 team again next year contending for the PAC-12 Championship, regardless of USC and Riley.

Miami:

Assuming arguendo that Miami can put into place a good AD (Radakovich, Jurich, Zo, etc.), there is a LOT to love about being the HC at The U. As I have consistently stated, coaching at The U is a top 20 job in college football for several reasons: (a) recruiting hot bed; (b) great private schools for kids; (c) weather; (d) countless things for wife and family to do; (e) no state income tax; and (f) improved facilities. 5-Time National Champions with a great football alumni base. A newly renovated NFL stadium. Winnable ACC Conference in the easiest Division in college football.

And then there’s “coming home”.

I’ve never been a believer in the concept of “coming home”. I don't personally know Mario but I know the man is as a driven individual as there is with a long term life plan of thinking big and doing big. Starting all over again at The U in building top 10 program would be a hell of an undertaking, but maybe he’s up for it. We all know he is Cuban, went to Columbus high school, and played for The U and loves The U. Mom is sick too.

I can only imagine what is going through Mario’s mind with this difficult decision.

I both respect and appreciate Gary’s sources, experience, and intuition on the next AD-HC hires. however, I respectfully disagree. I think that this has always been a 50-50 likelihood and in my opinion it is 60-40 Oregon on Mario remaining there.

I think that Mario will surprise a lot of people and decide to stay at Oregon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News