ADVERTISEMENT

Canesport Golfers

CashvilleCane1

SuperCane
Jan 6, 2011
Nashville
How many of you guys play? I’m in the process of buying new clubs after 15+ years. Technology has definitely caught up with me.

I was playing a Titleist driver and 3 wood and TaylorMade R7 irons and Cleveland Wedges. Also had a Ping Answer Copper putter I’ve owned since 95’.

I’ve been working on Trackman for about 6 weeks now ironing out some inconsistencies so I could get a great fit.

Our based a Callaway Epic Max Ls 9 degree driver yesterday and then sprung for the Fujikura Ventus 7 black shaft. Total game changer with that shaft.

Also snagged a BEAUTIFUL Bettinardo Queen B #11 Putter in Copper.

Hoping to pick up the matching 3 wood to the driver next week.

What are you guys playing?

How many of you guys play? I’m in the process of buying new clubs after 15+ years. Technology has definitely caught up with me.

I was playing a Titleist driver and 3 wood and TaylorMade R7 irons and Cleveland Wedges. Also had a Ping Answer Copper putter I’ve owned since 95’.

I’ve been working on Trackman for about 6 weeks now ironing out some inconsistencies so I could get a great fit.

Our based a Callaway Epic Max Ls 9 degree driver yesterday and then sprung for the Fujikura Ventus 7 black shaft. Total game changer with that shaft.

Really like your strategy of working on your swing first. Hopefully, you are using a good pro to help.

Go to a good fitter and go with whatever produces the most consistent and tightest shot dispersion. Don’t worry about the brand.

Bernhard Langer who isn’t bound to an equipment deal, carries multiple brands in his bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: CashvilleCane1
So you have technology and you have quality. With a lot of things like guitars for example now a-days, the new ones are “better” due to advancements but inferior in quality which is why legit brand vintage guitars are worth more money than the new “improved” ones.

does this apply to golf clubs? I’m not a golfer but I did a get a set of tayler made clubs like 25 years ago. Are they worth anything? Again, I’m not a golfer so they were barely used and are in great shape?

i just dropped them off at my parents house today for my cousins from out of state to use. Are they going to laugh at my clubs or are they going to think they’re cool because they’re practically antiques and in great shape.

funny thing is that I just recently went to top golf and just used the clubs they give you and I did much better with them than I ever did with my clubs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CashvilleCane1
So you have technology and you have quality. With a lot of things like guitars for example now a-days, the new ones are “better” due to advancements but inferior in quality which is why legit brand vintage guitars are worth more money than the new “improved” ones.

does this apply to golf clubs? I’m not a golfer but I did a get a set of tayler made clubs like 25 years ago. Are they worth anything? Again, I’m not a golfer so they were barely used and are in great shape?

i just dropped them off at my parents house today for my cousins from out of state to use. Are they going to laugh at my clubs or are they going to think they’re cool because they’re practically antiques and in great shape.

funny thing is that I just recently went to top golf and just used the clubs they give you and I did much better with them than I ever did with my clubs.
Pretty sure some of the new technology clubs are really great - especially for high handicap golfers. There are some "very forgiving" clubs that have made quite a difference for some friends of mine. Especially Ping drivers.

I have been playing the original 1994 graphite shaft Callaway Big Bertha Irons since 1994. They were the first clubs that were forged cavity backs PW - 2 iron. Would not trade them for the world. I do have an Epic Driver which I admit is a lot better than my original Persimmon driver. I still use my original 1976 Zebra putter with a Hurricane grip; before that I used a 1954 Leather griped Otey Crisman hickory shaft putter my dad gave me. Prior to 1994 I used Wilson Staff Blades and balata golf balls. Although my handicap has soared to 16/17 due to age, I played to an 11/12 back in the day with the old stuff.

Agree for sure. My cousin has a Ping G400 Max .. he changed the shaft and picked up a good 20 yards in distance with better dispersion. Was "over shafted" for his swing speed .. day and night difference.
I have a 60gram stiff flex Mitsubishi in my Callaway right now and the new Ventus shaft will be here tomorrow. I played in a 9 hole points league last night and drove two par 4’s with it lol. I’ll still gain about 15 yards and it’ll bring my dispersion in pretty significantly. The Par 4’s were 320 yards so we aren’t talking Dechambeau length here lol

Make sure the Ventus shaft says Velocore near the hosel. That makes it a tour shaft. What’s your handicap.

Really like your strategy of working on your swing first. Hopefully, you are using a good pro to help.

Go to a good fitter and go with whatever produces the most consistent and tightest shot dispersion. Don’t worry about the brand.

Bernhard Langer who isn’t bound to an equipments deal, carries multiple brands in his bag.
This is Spot on Post....
My friend is a Golf Pro and he told me same thing.....

Make sure the Ventus shaft says Velocore near the hosel. That makes it a tour shaft. What’s your handicap.
I would say I was a 10-12 handicap but only because I have been playing so sporadically. I’ve played about 8 times in the last 4 weeks. The last three rounds were 67 (-4), 76 (+6) & 73 (+2). And yes it’s a velocore. I researched the hell out of the shafts and clubs before I bought.

Last edited:
Agree for sure. My cousin has a Ping G400 Max .. he changed the shaft and picked up a good 20 yards in distance with better dispersion. Was "over shafted" for his swing speed .. day and night difference.
Picked up 14 yards with the new shaft and I had to slide the weight on the head back to neutral because it was picking up the fade bias I had it set for. Shaft is ridiculously accurate!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT