ADVERTISEMENT

Cases dropped yesterday in Florida

Or they didn’t wash their hands enough. Either way it’s not caused by wearing a mask.

dimmagio’s fixation on masks is a strange distraction. He agrees that a mask plus a lot of other stuff is a good idea, but has lit his hair on fire about masks as a panacea, which it is not and nor have people said it is. It’s just an easy thing for everyone to do to help deal with this virus. It’s not the only thing.
You miss the point . The two biggest myths being pushed by the media are that Masks are crucial and all important , the second is their fixation on beaches as a hot spot
Both are shaky
I’m not impressed with the Stanford study at all. No specific data showing anything on a scientific basis
It’s intuitive
But as Trunp has been saying from the beginning and consistent with his advisers- wearing masks is a good thing and can’t hurt ! That is , and has been the official position of the administration. Period
Other than the original statement by the surgeon general it’s constantly been suggested. But the point which every misses is it’s not me who is fixated . It’s the media who seem to believe that without strict mask compliance we are doomed
There is no basis to conclude that
That’s the myth
Still not any verifiable proof of how the virus is primarily transmitted

Last edited:
Almost cut in half from last week.

Gonna take any bit of good news that I can. Let's hope they keep dropping.

I want my kids back at school and I want football!
Death rate has also dropped precipitously low to under 1%. This is basically a flu outbreak statistically speaking at this time. Let’s hope these trends hold up and this thing burns out.

The two biggest myths being pushed by the media are that Masks are crucial and all important , the second is their fixation on beaches as a hot spot

-masks are crucial as an ingredient in our ability to combat this virus; no one is saying it's all important or a panacea.

I’m not impressed with the Stanford study at all.

-your opinion on the Stanford study holds no water. I will tend to trust a study from Stanford over a canesport member.

But as Trunp has been saying from the beginning and consistent with his advisers- wearing masks is a good thing and can’t hurt ! That is , and has been the official position of the administration. Period

-any intellectually honest person would admit that when the president doesn't wear a mask to a factory WHERE THEY MAKE MASKS the president doesn't think wearing masks is a good idea no matter his official position.

It’s the media who seem to believe that without strict mask compliance we are doomed

-This is where you are truly hysterical and really just pumping this strawman to sow doubt. I've read and watched many news pieces on a lack of testing, incomplete shutdowns, ICUs at capacity, daycare centers becoming hotspots, and young people ignoring social distancing rules. It's not all about masks. It's a part of the solution and it's part of the coverage.

-Also, who gives a shit if the media is hyping it. Just wear the mask.

The two biggest myths being pushed by the media are that Masks are crucial and all important , the second is their fixation on beaches as a hot spot

-masks are crucial as an ingredient in our ability to combat this virus; no one is saying it's all important or a panacea.

I’m not impressed with the Stanford study at all.

-your opinion on the Stanford study holds no water. I will tend to trust a study from Stanford over a canesport member.

-any intellectually honest person would admit that when the president doesn't wear a mask to a factory WHERE THEY MAKE MASKS the president doesn't think wearing masks is a good idea no matter his official position.

It’s the media who seem to believe that without strict mask compliance we are doomed

-This is where you are truly hysterical and really just pumping this strawman to sow doubt. I've read and watched many news pieces on a lack of testing, incomplete shutdowns, ICUs at capacity, daycare centers becoming hotspots, and young people ignoring social distancing rules. It's not all about masks. It's a part of the solution and it's part of the coverage.

-Also, who gives a shit if the media is hyping it. Just wear the mask.
I give a shit about the media
They are dishonest and biased and fake , they have an agenda
You are hysterical about this
Yes it’s a bad disease
We know that
You have gone in and on and in with the same stuff . Yeah it kills people

I give a shit about the media
They are dishonest and biased and fake , they have an agenda
You are hysterical about this
Yes it’s a bad disease
We know that
You have gone in and on and in with the same stuff . Yeah it kills people
Figured "fake news" was the cul-de-sac you would end up in.

Was listening to the Gov on the radio discussing the FACT that the infection level in Miami-Dade was approximately 13-15 times the number of reported cases so the fatality % is dramatically lower than advertised .. which is based solely on "cases" reported. Said statewide the actual infection level could easily be 10 times the number of cases reported putting the morality rate at a very low level .. and dropping.

In Miami-Dade that would mean as much as one out of five (or even closer to one out of four) persons has been infected.

Show me the data !
WHO says no data
Heath care workers wear gloves
The masks people wear are not protective of the virus , not FDA approved
The flimsy masks I see the reporters using are hilarious , they fall down past their noses . It’s hysterical
They may have a marginal effect if they are N95 . But others say that it’s the surface touching that’s the main cause of spread
So medical professionals wear masks , but they also have other protective gear
The fallacy is that if everyone wears a mask we are home free . And that Trump not wearing a mask is the cause of the problem. NO SCIENCE DATA . None . Speculation. Again safe distancing and frequent hand washes are likely much better protection form infection
But everyone has bought into the mask myth

Tell VP Pence to stop wearing and telling people to wear one. The notion that masks don't help (we can argue about to what extent) is ludicrous.

Reactions: zackbear
Arizona is having fun:

#Arizona #COVID19 report (7/7)
Confirmed Cases: 105,094
Daily Cases: 3,653 (+3.6%)
Confirmed Deaths: 1,927
New Deaths: 117(record)
PCR Tests: 628,275
New PCRs: 10,932 (33% positive)
Serology Tests: 183,595
New Antibody: 486

Reactions: SolarCane
Tell VP Pence to stop wearing and telling people to wear one. The notion that masks don't help (we can argue about to what extent) is ludicrous.
Another person who can’t understand English
Did I say stop wearing a mask ? No
Did I ever say that masks are no help on preventing the spread ? No
What I said , and I will leave it at that , is that there has been zero scientific evidence indicating that masks stop the spread . There is no reliable data which shows how the virus is spread.
Many believe that the casual.contact outdoors is not enough to spread anything
Many believe that the indoor spread require close contact or physical contact with the infection
Meanwhile my point has been that according to the MS Media leaving ones house without a mask should be a Criminal offense and certain to lead to spread .
so I’m glad Pence wears a mask when in close proximity to others . So do I
It’s possible that airborne particles are a major cause of spread .
My point is simply that media outlets like CNN and MSNBC have a unwarranted fixation on masks .

What I said , and I will leave it at that , is that there has been zero scientific evidence indicating that masks stop the spread . There is no reliable data which shows how the virus is spread.
Many believe that the indoor spread require close contact or physical contact with the infection
Meanwhile my point has been that according to the MS Media leaving ones house without a mask should be a Criminal offense and certain to lead to spread .
My point is simply that media outlets like CNN and MSNBC have a unwarranted fixation on masks .

A lot of double talk there, (sound like some attorneys I have argued with in courtroom) but we do agree on the need to wear masks, and I am sure you concur that it should not be a left or right issue.

45k nationally and 5.6 k in Florida.

the Florida number is a big improvement over recent ones. however, if we average that for the next month, you'd have 57k kniwn sick on top of the 200k already known.

if the "experts" are right and 10 people have this thing mildly for every known case, at the end of that month about 1 in 8 Floridians would have had this over slightly over 5 months.

probably because among a widespread disaster like this one, most people grasp at straws they think might help, rather than doing nothing.

Wait... 2-3 was the previous guidance. Now it’s 4-6 weeks? It started to spike around June 4 we are coming up on over 4 weeks... tik tock!
Cases started to go up then, but cases is meaningless. Infections are more important and that didn’t start going up until later in June. The spike in cases was due to increased testing. The tests were only 5% positive. For the past two weeks the tests have been around 23% positive. Let’s see how deaths look at the end of July.

Wait... 2-3 was the previous guidance. Now it’s 4-6 weeks? It started to spike around June 4 we are coming up on over 4 weeks... tik tock!
People are infected for a week or two before they even go to the hospital. They are on ventilators for two to three weeks before they die.

This is not necessarily so. There was a spike in infections after the Memorial Day weekend, which was 6 weeks ago. Yet the mortality rate continues to steadily drop all over the country.
It's been dropping for a while now. That's because more people in the 18 - 35 age group are getting infected. These younger folks have a stronger immune system than senior citizens. Also, while there is no cure as of right now, there are better and stronger meds to treat the virus now than there was in March - April.
The corrupt and dishonest media focuses strictly on the infection rate and not on the mortality rate.
That was a spike in cases, not infections. We surged our testing around then. The spike in infections came later in June. We also have a gradual increase in hospitalizations too.

Mortality has been increasing in Florida since mid June. The national decline is mostly because fewer people are dying in the NY area. That’s were most of the deaths were before. https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/

I agree with everything else you said.

The riots were outdoors. I think the bigger problem was the cultural change. We switched our focus away form covid mitigation and the young people started to party indoors.
The riots were outdoors but many pictures show thousands upon thousands crammed together and yelling and screaming for hours on end. Repeat that for over 3 weeks straight and there had to be at least some droplets in the air to cause infections. I can't quite figure out why beaches are closed if the outdoors is a germ free zone.

Reactions: BreakingCane
That was a spike in cases, not infections. We surged our testing around then. The spike in infections came later in June. We also have a gradual increase in hospitalizations too.

Mortality has been increasing in Florida since mid June. The national decline is mostly because fewer people are dying in the NY area. That’s were most of the deaths were before. https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/

I agree with everything else you said.
Huh? You first get infected then you get tested positive. Cases lag infection date. What is your point?

The riots were outdoors but many pictures show thousands upon thousands crammed together and yelling and screaming for hours on end. Repeat that for over 3 weeks straight and there had to be at least some droplets in the air to cause infections. I can't quite figure out why beaches are closed if the outdoors is a germ free zone.
I like to think that outdoor activities in the sunlight are safe because that would allow a football season. I think the facts support that position for now.

Remember, people predicted disaster when we opened the beaches in Jacksonville back in April. That’s ten weeks ago! We never got a big spike there from that. We had spring break here in March after the shutdown. The beaches were full of kids and there was no spike back then. I think beaches are safe. The policy in Dade county looks reasonable to me right now. Beaches are open along with outdoor dining. The gyms require distancing and masks. I think that can work if we get compliance. Also, since people don’t wear masks when they eat, and they often dine at night, I think they need to strictly enforce the distancing there.

Let’s be safe and have a football season.

Huh? You first get infected then you get tested positive. Cases lag infection date. What is your point?
Cases spike when you test more. That initial spike in cases was mostly due to more testing. Only 5% of the tests were positive. In the past two weeks, 23% have been positive statewide. The really bad spike in infections was in late June. Let’s see what the death rate is in late July. It has already been increasing. The nationwide decline in deaths doesn’t affect our local policies much.

Cases spike when you test more. That initial spike in cases was mostly due to more testing. Only 5% of the tests were positive. In the past two weeks, 23% have been positive statewide. The really bad spike in infections was in late June. Let’s see what the death rate is in late July. It has already been increasing. The nationwide decline in deaths doesn’t affect our local policies much.
Late July? Positives started to rise at the end of the first week of June, which means infections occurred end of May early June. Infections continued. You want a full 8 weeks now? Lol.

Correct..The Right continues to conflate the infections and deaths as being synonymous..But the order needs to be First you have an infection..Then a couple of weeks later you have hospitalization and finally several weeks or even months later you have deaths..
Ok, but if you want to attack the right for that, let’s be fair and attack the left for wanting to shutdown schools so parents will have to stay home instead of work. This can only be because they want to tank the economy for partisan electoral advantage. The science says that very few children get sick from covid. They are more likely to die from staying home than from going back to school. Even when they get infected, they shed so little virus they rarely pass it on to adults. The schools should be open 5 days per week in most of the country to give parents the option to send them there. Protect the vulnerable teachers.

The actual number of coronavirus cases in South Florida as of April 10 was 11 times higher than initially reported, a recent U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study that tested for antibodies revealed.

That revelation suggests more people have contracted the virus without dying, which means the infection (or true) fatality rate (IFR) may be lower than initially believed.

CDC’s findings, last updated on June 26, drove the number of coronavirus cases in South Florida as of April 10 up from over 10,500 to an estimated 117,400.

That means the IFR, which takes into account asymptomatic cases, was lower than earlier projections, standing at less than one percent (0.19 – 0.6) as of the end of April, down from at least two percent before the CDC study.

The CDC study covered the South Florida counties of Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and Martin.

Breitbart News relied on COVID-19 (coronavirus disease) confirmed cases and death figures for those countries provided by the Johns Hopkins University tracker.

Using the new CDC and Johns Hopkins data, Breitbart News calculated that South Florida’s death rate was no more than 0.6 as of May 1, down over 80 percent from an estimated 3.6 before the antibodies study.

That mortality rate is between three and eight times lower than the earlier estimates — of two to four percent — that prompted the lockdowns

The 0.6 IFR takes into account the three-week lag, a conservative estimate, between the identification of a COVID-19 (coronavirus disease) infection and when the infected dies.

When taking the data at face value, without accounting for the time it takes for an individual to progress from being diagnosed to dying, Breitbart News determined the death rate was even lower — 0.19 percent.

In comparison, the flu’s death rate in the United State is 0.1 percent on average. Not all fatality rate estimates account for the estimated time between infection and death.

The 0.19 percent mortality rate (without accounting for the lag between infection and death), as of April 10, is down about 90 percent from about two percent before the CDC study.

According to the CDC data, the coronavirus mortality rate could be higher than the average flu, at least in South Florida.

While the number of coronavirus cases (excluding mild and asymptomatic infections) has significantly risen in Florida in recent weeks, the number of deaths has remained fairly stable, lower than the peak in May.

That again suggests more people are contracting COVID-19 without succumbing to it.

However, as explained before, there is a lag between infection and deaths, so the fatalities could increase in the next three weeks.

Florida, the third most populous state in America, has become one of the hardest-hit by COVID-19 cases in recent weeks.

This report only focused on the IFR, which tends to be lower than the crude (or case) fatality ratio that excludes people with no symptoms and only focuses on the reported number of confirmed coronavirus cases.

Health experts believe the IFR is a more accurate representation of the real mortality rate.

Besides South Florida, the CDC antibodies study covered other U.S. regions.
The facts in that article looked correct but some were clearly misleading. They compared the IFR of covid to the CFR of the flu. When you compare like to like, covid is more deadly. They didn’t mention that covid is also more contagious than the flu. The fact that there are more infections than we thought also means that it’s more contagious than we thought. So, it both more deadly than the flu and far more contagious.

Also, they pretend that their 0.19 IFR is a real estimate. That would assume that not a single infected person was going to die. The only real estimate was to assume that the infected people would die at a similar rate to previous infected people. That gets you 0.6%. In other words, out of all the people who have even been infected with coronavirus, some have died some have recovered, but there are a bunch who have not yet died nor recovered. Some of them are bound to die, yet 0.19% assumes that every single one of them will survive.

Did that article come from Breitbart news? They were misleading, but no more misleading than CNN.

Covid is real, it’s serious, but if we take common sense precautions, we can mitigate the spread and still have a football season and get our economy back on track and our kids back in school.

The W.H.O. doesn’t think that masks do anything. There is scant science which supports the notion that masks really stop infection . Isolation works . Masks ? Very shaky . It’s a political ruse and infuriating. Like if everyone wears a mask everything will be hunky dory. Where is the proof ?
Many scientists think that the prevalent manner of transmission is touching and physical contact. So I’m tired of hearing about masks . Yes I wear one when I’m indoors just in case . But even that is protect others , but again it’s shaky science.
The only way a total stoppage can be achieved is by a total lockdown . The American people need to buy into that

Proof? In a lab they can measure how much virus you project when you exhale. Then, they put a mask on you and find far less virus. That’s pretty strong evidence that masks should help.

You are right that this wont achieve a total stoppage. We never stopped the flu either. This is to mitigate the spread to the point that we can play football, open the economy, and send our kids back to school.

Late July? Positives started to rise at the end of the first week of June, which means infections occurred end of May early June. Infections continued. You want a full 8 weeks now? Lol.
Deaths have already gone up. There was a small increase in infections in early June. We can see an increase in deaths. Is that what you want?

There was a bigger surge of infections late in June. We still haven’t seen how many deaths we will get from that. I’m still talking about four weeks.

Let’s just wear the damn masks and protect the vulnerable so we can play football, reopen the economy, and send our kids back to school.

If there’s one or two things I’ve learned during this pandemic is 1. how stupid people are 2. how corrupt the media is.

I have lost ALL FAITH in news reporting. It’s all a spin to fit their agenda.

If you can’t see this, you make my first point. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with this. It applies equally to both sides.

Reactions: greglloyd1214
Proof? In a lab they can measure how much virus you project when you exhale. Then, they put a mask on you and find far less virus. That’s pretty strong evidence that masks should help.

You are right that this wont achieve a total stoppage. We never stopped the flu either. This is to mitigate the spread to the point that we can play football, open the economy, and send our kids back to school.
I'm guessing that the masks they use in the lab weren't just taken out of someone's pocket or from a car where they have been sitting for a month without being washed? Do they test how effective those masks are when someone is constantly touching them the whole time they're wearing them, like I see every people doing every time I go out?

I'm guessing that the masks they use in the lab weren't just taken out of someone's pocket or from a car where they have been sitting for a month without being washed? Do they test how effective those masks are when someone is constantly touching them the whole time they're wearing them, like I see every people doing every time I go out?
That is tested epidemiologically. Places that have required masks have found that the spread of the virus slows down even after controlling for other factors. The evidence isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty good.

The report has no data that conclusively establishes transmission through the air as a predominant means of spread .
It may spread that way . I’m not saying that masks have no efficacy, but they do not prevent the wearer from contracting the virus unless FDA approved . And spacing is just as important. I’m merely pointing out the mask fallacy and hysteria. I don’t agree with the notion that if everyone wore a half ass face covering all will be great . There is not basis to conclude that. Washing hands , proper spacing , staying home and avoiding spreading germs via coverings all can be helpful. I’m just fed up with this ridiculous focus on masks and whether Donald Trump wears one
That media compulsion is what is absurd
Focusing on any one of those individual measures would be equally absurd. Trump doesn’t need to wear a mask because he and everybody around him are tested everyday. I don’t need one because I’m alone in my apartment. If we take common sense precautions we can play football. Am I the only person here who wants that?

Reactions: dmeinbach
If masks work then why are we shutting down? And if they dont work, why are they making us wear them?
They work well enough to that we can reopen if we wear them and take other common sense precautions.

Obvious answer would be not enough people are wearing their masks..... Or idiot Governors like De Santis not making it mandatory while his state is being overrun with new cases. It's really pretty simple, if people would just wear their masks in public inside for a while a lot of our problems would go away, or at least be minimized until there's a vaccine. But you can't half ass it.
I don’t think it’s helpful to make this political. Let’s just all do the right thing and mitigate the spread enough that we can play ball. Besides, Florida has done better than many other states.

Reactions: jdx2112
Did you even read the article? It was no worse than CNN or FNC, probably better.
You remind me of Alan Keys, a very smart, thoughtful debater who would string you along until the very last second when he dropped a crazy bomb. Breitbart is garbage, pure and simple. There’s no both-sides-ing that.

I don’t think it’s helpful to make this political. Let’s just all do the right thing and mitigate the spread enough that we can play ball. Besides, Florida has done better than many other states.
Yes, better than New York. Super.

You remind me of Alan Keys, a very smart, thoughtful debater who would string you along until the very last second when he dropped a crazy bomb. Breitbart is garbage, pure and simple. There’s no both-sides-ing that.
Ok, that article made some fact based arguments. I criticized it with a fact based reply. You come here with basically just an ad hominem attack on the site and me. You throw in a gratuitous insult on an unrelated black man for good measure. You win. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT