ADVERTISEMENT

Day-After Thoughts On The N.C. State Game.

advarkas

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
Hometown: Coral Gables; Currently: Downtown FTL
DEFENSE

First, the bad.

What the HELL was that Defensive effort? 34 points, almost 300 total passing yards and 3 passing TDs to a team with major QB issues. Hockman had a lowly season total of 3 TDs and 4 INTs coming into this game. Only fitting his # is #16 because the Manny-Baker Defense made him look like Joe F**king Montana. Opening Drive for N.C. State - right down the field for a score. Again, this team CONTINUES to have serious lack of preparation issues in spotlight/national games, and remarkably, these issues seem to be worse after a BYE WEEK of all things. Also, N.C. State’s Offense was 7-12 on 3rd Down, far outperforming its seasonal average.

I don’t need the Miami Hurricanes Defense to be the Miami Dolphins #1-in-the-NFL Defense, and there will be games when our Offense has to carry our Defense like our Defense carried our Offense in the UVA Game. But come on man, that was a needless nerve rattling performance coming off a bye facing a below average QB against a competitive but not good team........ Have to have a better Defensive performances when we face a much better UNC Offense with Sam Howell. Can’t get carved up like that up and down the field all game; can’t get owned on 3rd Down; can’t play soft coverage all game.

Manny has had his hands on this Defense for 5 years. 5 years. We have a Defensive HC - we need to be much more consistent on Defense to say the least. Hopefully, this Defense can get back on track to holding teams to at least the 20-24 point mark.

OFFENSE

Now for the good.

I don’t know where this team would be without both Rhett and King, but it is certainly a scary thought.

Unlike the Manny-Baker duo failing to get the Defense ready after a Bye, Rhett Lashlee coming off a bye had his best night last night as the Miami OC. I watched, re-watched, and studied a ton of the UVA Game. I felt VERY good about both the Gameplan in that game and the Offense moving forward from that game, despite the fact that we only scored 19 points. 600+ yards of Offense on the road against a competitive N.C. State team. The OL did JUST FINE, paving the way for a team 190 rushing yards. King may have had the majority of those rushing yards, but I thought Cam ran the ball better last night.

Speaking of King, there aren't enough words in the Dictionary to describe how both special a QB he is, and how fortunate we are to have him this year. Literaly saving Manny's job this year. 31 of 41 for 430 and 5 TDs- ZERO INTs. 500+ total yards of Offense by himself. King was decisive, accurate, and electric last night. Put this team on his 5'10/5'11" shoulders and carried it to a victory. 7 different WRs caught a pass for King last night- there was great distribution of the football in the passing game, and N.C. State couldn't just zero in on one guy, even though Harley stood out again. Speaking of Harley, GREAT job by Mike having another breakout game. For all the rightful concern about this WR group this year, Harley has FINALLY started to separate himself as THE #1 go-to WR on this team with back-to-back BIG performances for us. Happy for Mike, and that will take a lot of pressure off of Brevin/Mallory for the rest of the Season.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Some good some bad. Terrible coverage allowing that return for a TD. But Hedley and Borregales CONTINUE to be EXCELLENT weapons for us. Hedley punted well, and Borregales was PERFECT last night, accounting for an 14 points. HUGE.

OVERALL

I still have serious concerns about Manny failing to properly prepare this team for spotlight/national games. 12 penalties, piss poor Defense, making mediocre QBs look great, inability to dominate for 4 Quarters. But good teams find ways to win, and this is unequestionably a good team. A flawed team which is a mile away from the likes of Ohio State, Bama, and Clemson, while often being outcoached against lesser talented teams, but STILL an improved, quality, GOOD team. 6-1 top-10 is an IMPRESSIVE 2020 Season to date, not matter how we slice it, dice it, analyze it, etc...

Criticisms are more than warranted, but this team deserves credit too. As always, it is important to maintain some perspective.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News