ADVERTISEMENT

Filling out the staff

ElijahGreen25

SuperCane
Dec 9, 2012
There are two things a head coach at the college football needs on his staff.

First, coaches that now how to develop players to play at the highest level.

Second, coaches that know how to evaluate and recruit players they need to fit their system.

If a coach cannot do both very well then they become a liability for the rest of the staff. There are obviously some coaches on offense last year that knew how to recruit with the best of them and develop talent that I seriously wish were retained because they were more of an asset than a liability. Dugans, Hartley, and Brown were absolutely assets and not liabilities.

Since these three arrived we landed some of the best talent at WR, TE, and RB. We also turned out some very good ballers at each position barring injury and players being forced to play larger roles sooner than expected

We only had three liabilities on offense and they were Richt as the OC, Richt Jr as the QB coach, and Searels as the OL coach.

One defense, we have some excellent coaches that can develop world class talent, but so far both Rumph and Simpson seem to be below average recruiters. We are still waiting on the verdict for Patke.

I do believe that if we win 10 or more games this upcoming football season with a dominant defense then in the years to come we will begin to win more battles for defensive recruits than we have lost out on regardless of who we are going up against. Look at LSU. They have had a dominant defense since 2003 and now they have a head coach that is a former defensive coordinator they can land nearly any defensive recruit they want. Sam's thing for Georgia and obviously Bama.

Depending on who we hire to run our offense and more importantly if our offense puts up a bunch of points running and passing and is fun to watch then we will be hard to beat on the recruiting trail.

Honestly speaking, this class is not the most important class. We have needs but this year's recruiting class has passed on us because of the season. Our best option is to build this year's class theouth JUCOs and graduate transfers. Right now, we got the people who wanted to be here during the early signing period. What we don't need is wasted bodies.

The good thing for Manny is the cupboard is far from empty.

What Manny needs is a staff on offense that puts up points.

My hat goes to Toledo's current OC, and retain Dugans, Brown, and Hartley. If you don't retain any of the old coaches then make sure you match their player development first, because I always loved how our WR blocked down the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News