ADVERTISEMENT

FRI NIGHT BASEBALL: B-CC vs UM - Canes win 9-3!

AtlantaCane

SuperCane
Sep 7, 2005
Port Orange, Florida
Final Update:

Canes take a 2-0 lead, the visitors come back to retake the lead 3-2 before we go on to outscore BCC 7-0 the rest of the way to win 9-3...

Final Score:

BCC 3
UM 9

Final Linescore:
BCC 3 4 1
UM 9 8 1 (scorekeeper took away an E so we finished with only 1)

Miami wins its 5th straight...

SCHEDULE
Miami improves to 32-14...BCC drops to 16-33...

PITCHING

Van Belle went 8.1 innings to get the W (7-2) 1st Friday night start. Averaged 12 pitches an inning,

Canes win their 5th straight...

BATTING

Lala
and Rivera hit 2 and 3-run HRs...
Vilar had a clutch 2-run single ...
BTW, we now have 58 HRs this year vs last year's total of 23!

FIELDING

2 more Es by the home team...we will fall again in this category...we were above 190...we might drop below the 200 mark...:mad:

THEY SAID IT (Courtesy: UM)
Coach G on the win against BCC:
"Those guys always play good against us," head coach Gino DiMare said. "When you're beating a pitcher like that that can beat anybody on any given day, I'm proud of our guys that battled and fought through it."

Coach G on beating Anthony Maldonaldo who retired the 1st 8 batters he faced :

"That guy who has thrown against us the last few years has been tough on us," DiMare said. "Our guys just kept battling and grinding out at-bats. He was laboring as that game went on and I guarantee you he hasn't done that too much in his outings."

Coach G on the 8-inning, 3 hit performance by his starter Brian Van Belle:

"Van Belle in his first Friday night game and faced up against a good pitcher, I thought he was very efficient tonight," DiMare said. "I thought he threw a lot to contact. Seven innings and 84 pitches, that's 12 pitches an inning and I'll take that every time."

Lala and Vilar have been struggling at the plate, but they came up BIG tonight...

FR CF'der Jordan Lala, on his 2-run HR that gave UM an early 2-0 lead:

"I was just looking for a pitch I could drive," Lala said. "I've been struggling lately and I just telling myself to keep swinging the bat and eventually it would go my way and it did there."

FR SS Anthony Vilar on the U retaking the lead on his 5th inning bases-loaded single:

"It was just a big inning," Vilar said. "We started the inning with nobody on base and two outs. Guys got on base and it was a big opportunity to score some runs and get the lead again. I saw a pitch I could hit and I hit a line drive up the middle."

Vilar talks about the Canes responding after BCC took the lead in the 5th inning:

"It's a big thing once a team scores, it brings them down once you come back that next inning and score runs yourself," Vilar said. "That's a big thing that we have tried to accomplish all year and that's what we are going to try to do all season."

MORE STATS
SO:
UM Kd 5x BCC Kd 6x
BB: UM walked 2x, BCC walked only 1x (shows U how good the pitching was)
LOB: UM 5, BCC 1 (we left the bases loaded 1x)
Pitchers Used: UM 3, BCC 2

MEDIA INFO
Recap:
Freshmen power No. 21 Canes Past Wildcats, 9-3 (UM Link)
Final: Box Score (UM Link)
Post-Game Video Presser: Coach G on Game 1 Win (YouTube/Canes All-ACcess Link)
Post-Game Video Presser: Jordan Lala & Antho0ny Vilar (YouTube/Canes All Access Link)

GAME 2

Game 2 is Sat at 7 pm...it's another Bark in the Park night at The Light AND, to help celebrate UM baseball's 75th anniversary, the first 300 fans who show up get a special commemorative poster honoring the Canes' all-time team as voted on by the fans.

BTW: I CANNOT cover Saturday or Sunday this weekend so I would greatly appreciate it if someone can PH for me.

Thx!
------------------------------

Happy Friday, Baseball Caniacs!

Your Miami Hurricanes open a 3-game home stand beginning tonight hosting MEAC member, Bethune-Cookman College out of Daytona Beach.

Even though Miami did not play earlier this week, we moved up in a coue[ple of important stats that will have a bearing on who gets selected to host a regional in the post-season. See RPI and SOS below.

TEAM RECORDS

Miami (31-14), Bethune-Cookman College (16-32)

RPI

We have moved up to No. 10 from No. 14 last week. (ncaa.org Link)

STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE (SOS)

We have moved up, from No. 11 to No. 7! (warrennolan.com :Link)

PITCHING

Right-hander Brian Van Belle (5-2, 3.83 ERA) will face Bethune-Cookman ace right-hander Anthony Maldonado (2-4, 3.61 ERA) (Courtesy: UM)

FIELDING

We have dropped from 181 to No. 191 in the country out of 297 schools (ncaa.org Link)

PREGAME MEDIA INFO

Watch: ACCN * Extra (Watch ESPN Link) I AM NOT SURE IF THIS GAME IS ON
Listen:
WVUM Radio (WVUM.org) & 790The Ticket (790 Link)
Live Stats: UM vs BCC (UM Link)
Series Preview: No. 21 Canes Host Bethune-Cookman in Final Non-Conference Series (UM Link)
Game Notes: UM vs BCC (UM PDF)

Back in a few with the first pitch!

Go Canes!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News