ADVERTISEMENT

handicapped sister has covid

chevytruck20s

SuperCane
Gold Member
May 12, 2004
coral springs, fl
she is in hospital for a few days now.

she was born with cerebral palsy and had Guillian Barre syndrome a few years ago.

she had to go to DMV last week to get a new ID card even though she can't drive. she always wore a mask but had to take it off to get a pic.

she has started to have hallucinations and is very scared. it sucks we can't go visit her. she is at Coral Springs Medical Center.

they are giving her oxygen and monoclonal treatments.

my 6 year old girl also has covid but she is doing just fine.

our family has done all the right things. my sister did all the right things.

all of us that are vaccinated have tested negative. my sister's doctor advised her to not get the shot because of underlying conditions.

she was born with cerebral palsy and had Guillian Barre syndrome a few years ago.

she had to go to DMV last week to get a new ID card even though she can't drive. she always wore a mask but had to take it off to get a pic.

she has started to have hallucinations and is very scared. it sucks we can't go visit her. she is at Coral Springs Medical Center.

Oh no man that’s terrible. I’m on day #8. Got monoclonal treatment 3 days ago.. it’s sucks for a day or two but then helps a lot. Hope she starts turning the corner soon.

Prayers sent, chevy and hoping for a full recovery. One of the worst things to endure with this is not being able to be with your loved ones when they need you the most.

My 11 year old with CP had it last September and ended up with just headaches. Prayers OP
how bad is your kids CP? i know it can very greatly.

my sister used to be able to walk on crutches with leg braces in her younger days. in her late teens she no longer could. her mind is all there thankfully.

she is turning 53 in Sept.

she has complained about terrible headaches.

Oh no man that’s terrible. I’m on day #8. Got monoclonal treatment 3 days ago.. it’s sucks for a day or two but then helps a lot. Hope she starts turning the corner soon.
all the best to you brother. i know we can disagree on things but i wish the best for everybody on this site and people in general.

i know we briefly met a couple years ago at Apopka's tailgate for the UF game.

my 6 year old girl also has covid but she is doing just fine.

our family has done all the right things. my sister did all the right things.

all of us that are vaccinated have tested negative. my sister's doctor advised her to not get the shot because of underlying conditions.
There was a story out here in Utah last week of an immunocompromised kid out here that came down with Covid. His mom is a nurse and they had him in quarantine at home for the last 18 months. Everyone in his inner circle had been vaccinated and wore masks around him and they went out of their way to keep him safe. Contact tracing cannot figure out how he could have come down with Covid. Scary.

Reactions: mahb and CFSteve
how bad is your kids CP? i know it can very greatly.

my sister used to be able to walk on crutches with leg braces in her younger days. in her late teens she no longer could. her mind is all there thankfully.

she is turning 53 in Sept.

she has complained about terrible headaches.
It’s not debilitating but she has been going to speech/physical/occupational therapy for 10 years. She has worn leg braces at times. At 5 years old she had surgery on her right leg to fix tightened ligaments/tendons and adjust her hip. She also has low tone and very sensitive to loud noises. She is a trooper though and is now highly functional. I even started taking her to the gym with me to build her leg muscles

There was a story out here in Utah last week of an immunocompromised kid out here that came down with Covid. His mom is a nurse and they had him in quarantine at home for the last 18 months. Everyone in his inner circle had been vaccinated and wore masks around him and they went out of their way to keep him safe. Contact tracing cannot figure out how he could have come down with Covid. Scary.
i work construction and don't wear a mask. the kids still went out with my wife to the mall or grocery store but always had a mask on. my kids did in school learning for most of last school year but wore their masks.

i've rarely put a mask on since May after my 2nd shot. i've never once felt sick or anything. i think i actually had it in Jan of 2020 before it became a big deal here. all my co-workers and everyone else that worked in a house in Wellington FL got sick. the owner had come back from Tailand in early Jan and the husband was sick with suspected flu and wife had pnemonia.

Reactions: 801canesmxer
i work construction and don't wear a mask. the kids still went out with my wife to the mall or grocery store but always had a mask on. my kids did in school learning for most of last school year but wore their masks.

i've rarely put a mask on since May after my 2nd shot. i've never once felt sick or anything. i think i actually had it in Jan of 2020 before it became a big deal here. all my co-workers and everyone else that worked in a house in Wellington FL got sick. the owner had come back from Tailand in early Jan and the husband was sick with suspected flu and wife had pnemonia.
In my wife's case, it was confirmed that she caught it from her gynecologist while both were wearing masks. That is one of the reasons for my stance on masking.

• Sad
Reactions: mahb
It’s not debilitating but she has been going to speech/physical/occupational therapy for 10 years. She has worn leg braces at times. At 5 years old she had surgery on her right leg to fix tightened ligaments/tendons and adjust her hip. She also has low tone and very sensitive to loud noises. She is a trooper though and is now highly functional. I even started taking her to the gym with me to build her leg muscles
awesome.

i remember when i was a little kid in the mid 80's she had something like that done in both legs. she is 11 years older than me. i think i remember she had stitches just below the hamstring. her right arm doesn't work to well so she is a lefty. she graduated from college, worked full time being in a wheelchair and until the Guillain Barre she always was able to do personal things on here own. now she is now longer able to and needs an aide in the morning and night-time.

she is always the happiest person though. always looks on the bright side of things even though she was not able to do things lots of others take for granted.

awesome.

i remember when i was a little kid in the mid 80's she had something like that done in both legs. she is 11 years older than me. i think i remember she had stitches just below the hamstring. her right arm doesn't work to well so she is a lefty. she graduated from college, worked full time being in a wheelchair and until the Guillain Barre she always was able to do personal things on here own. now she is now longer able to and needs an aide in the morning and night-time.

she is always the happiest person though. always looks on the bright side of things even though she was not able to do things lots of others take for granted.
Good for her. Abby is a lefty and her scars are hamstring, calf and Achilles

Wishing her a speedy recovery buddy. Hang in there!

All the best to your sister Chevy!

Reactions: chevytruck20s
when they take her off the oxygen her levels drop quickly into the 80's. they put it back on and goes back to mid 90's. she had terrible headaches. blood pressure is elevated. very tired.

so sad that our family can not go visit. it was 24 hours almost when we got a call from a nurse. sister has her phone but guess she is too weak to reply to texts and stuff.

Sorry to read that Chevy, God bless your sister and your whole family brother. You, along with the rest that shared in this post, have beautiful loving families. My family and I will pray for your sister's full and speedy recovery.
Chevy as to her desaturating on a O2mask ( I don't have her chart so this is just an orientation as to what the thought process may be)
The pneumonia (scary name for inflammation in the lung) is a common presentation of the lung by covid ( small sacks clustered like grapes =alveoli) which cause inflammation in the alveoli which makes the exchange of O2 for Co2 harder. Its like 3-4 people in a doorway that doesn't let anyone pass to and from easily. For this they'll probably use Broncho-dilators (albuterol is most common) to help push the gas exchange and open up the bronchial tree, and Prednisone ( a corticosteroid) to get rid of the inflammation ( the folks cluttering the doorway). As time passes and her viral load drops ( monoclonal antibody to kill virus) the inflation will decrease and she'll tolerate room air. That they challenged her by removing the mask is a good prognostic sign of improvement to me.
Her headaches could just be associated to the infection (mc) or possibly associated to cerebral hyper tension, due to the pneumonia (probably not) if its due to lungs it should improve as her respiratory status improves (again this is a possible reason but not the probable one. Being part of covid symptoms is probably why)
The loss of Energy is turning into a Hallmark of this bug. The Spike Proteins the virus uses is a bad mofo and every time it touches a cell it blows up the mitochondria ( basically the mitochondria is the Power House/ Energy Generator of the cell) so you lose energy. The feeling of low energy has high and lows and this is because some days the spike doesn't interact much so you don't feel as drained, and other times its a wrecking ball and you feel like your caving in or imploding. This will improve as that monoclonal AB kicks covid butt and lowers the Viral Load. God Bless you brother and your love for your family hopefully everything will go smoothly.🙏
801 you blew my mind I'm so sorry about that quack. Worse thing any Dr could ever do is cause more suffering, should of never went to work if he/she knew . There are many awesome people on these boards and this thread is proof +.
Proud to be !

Last edited:
Sorry to read that Chevy, God bless your sister and your whole family brother. You, along with the rest that shared in this post, have beautiful loving families. My family and I will pray for your sister's full and speedy recovery.
Chevy as to her desaturating on a O2mask ( I don't have her chart so this is just an orientation as to what the thought process may be)
The pneumonia (scary name for inflammation in the lung) is a common presentation of the lung by covid ( small sacks clustered like grapes =alveoli) which cause inflammation in the alveoli which makes the exchange of O2 for Co2 harder. Its like 3-4 people in a doorway that doesn't let anyone pass to and from easily. For this they'll probably use Broncho-dilators (albuterol is most common) to help push the gas exchange and open up the bronchial tree, and Prednisone ( a corticosteroid) to get rid of the inflammation ( the folks cluttering the doorway). As time passes and her viral load drops ( monoclonal antibody to kill virus) the inflation will decrease and she'll tolerate room air. That they challenged her by removing the mask is a good prognostic sign of improvement to me.
Her headaches could just be associated to the infection (mc) or possibly associated to cerebral hyper tension, due to the pneumonia (probably not) if its due to lungs it should improve as her respiratory status improves (again this is a possible reason but not the probable one. Being part of covid symptoms is probably why)
The loss of Energy is turning into a Hallmark of this bug. The Spike Proteins the virus uses is a bad mofo and every time it touches a cell it blows up the mitochondria ( basically the mitochondria is the Power House/ Energy Generator of the cell) so you lose energy. The feeling of low energy has high and lows and this is because some days the spike doesn't interact much so you don't feel as drained, and other times its a wrecking ball and you feel like your caving in or imploding. This will improve as that monoclonal AB kicks covid butt and lowers the Viral Load. God Bless you brother and your love for your family hopefully everything will go smoothly.🙏
801 you blew my mind I'm so sorry about that quack. Worse thing any Dr could ever do is cause more suffering, should of never went to work if he/she knew . There are many awesome people on these boards and this thread is proof +.
Proud to be !
Her appointment was on a Thursday, and the DR called her on Sunday to let her know that she had tested positive. That was not the issue. Once my wife's condition started turning really bad a week later, our niece sent an oxygen level checker. She was in her mid 70's as far as her oxygen level. That's when the Dr screwed up. She sent some oxygen tanks and told my wife and us that what she needed was rest when she should have told her to get straight to the ER. By the 4th day on the oxygen tanks, I asked my daughter if we were simply watching my wife die right in front of us. That was the day before Thanksgiving and we talked her into going to the ER on Thanksgiving Day. By the time she made it there her oxygen level was at 62, one step ahead of a medically induced coma. The admitting nurse checked it again 3 more times and each time the look on her face was very telling. To say that her DR screwed up would be a massive understatement.

• Wow
Yep but I think first may have been a bad test because it was nothing like this round. Could’ve been the flu. Inflammation has been a mother f’er this round

Cash did you have a hard time getting the doc to give you the monoclonal treatment? You must have had some severe symptoms huh?

This thread just goes to show that we have some damn good dudes who love their families on this site.
My thoughts and prayers to you guys that have loved ones who are living their best lives despite being dealt a difficult hand.
Prayers out to your sister Chevy.
God Bless.

Cash did you have a hard time getting the doc to give you the monoclonal treatment? You must have had some severe symptoms huh?
That is a great question. I live in GA, and wonder how difficult it would be to get that treatment if I requested it.

No not hard at all. If you work in the first responder field you’re getting pushed in and getting the treatment. They want to keep us out of the hospitals so we can help others. I’m about 95% now but getting my energy back has been a mother.

No not hard at all. If you work in the first responder field you’re getting pushed in and getting the treatment. They want to keep us out of the hospitals so we can help others. I’m about 95% now but getting my energy back has been a mother.

Do you know how hard it would have been if you weren’t a first responder?

Masks work. 🙄
Yes, but only if they're K95's and then only if they are properly fitted. One of Biden's own former Covid advisors, Michael Osterholm, said it himself. After a lifetime of studying infectious diseases, Fauci said the same thing last Feb before it was a made a political issue. I hope you don't trust your family's health on a cloth face diaper. It sure didn't work in my wife's case, but hey, what do we know about it?

she is getting better. went for a chest x-ray this morning and the lungs showed some slight clearing for the pneumonia.

she's be able to text, call and video call the last couple days.

thanks to all who have prayed and sent their best to her.

Fantastic! I know you must be super relieved.

Reactions: 801canesmxer
Stoked for you guys Chevy ! Make sure she uses that Spirometer , it probably looks like a see through plastic gerbil ball with a mouth piece. You blow in the mouth piece to raise a hold the ball up within the marked range
5364.jpg

maxres2.jpg

This little guy will help re-expand her lungs and develop more lung volume. In Surgery we use it b4 and after the operation to insentivate strong resperation, and after to expand the lung and prevent infection or attalectasis ( this is sort of like the lung tissue sticking together like saran wrap does). Hope she gets better soon !!!! Happy for you and your family

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT