ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Topic - Musicians You Would Bring Back

MJ was on the next level. Prince was amazing live. But this will sound odd but its true, Marilyn Manson Anti Christ Superstar concert tour was insane. He did the entire show from pulpit but it managed to be completely engrossing and overwhelming with sound, theater and just rawness. One of my favorite moments in life, it was that good (and I'm a Prince superfan). This was at the sunrise musical theater for anyone local.

Wow! Sunrise Musical Theater! I had my high school graduation there in 2000!

Its a super church now... think Jehovah's Witness maybe. Too bad... saw a few really good concerts there back in the day. BB&T Center started taking all the big shows away since it had much higher capacity, hence SMT was no longer needed.

Reactions: ellu and central17
I was at the Michael Jackson concert at the Orange Bowl in 1984. Was dating my soon to be wife. We have seen a lot of concerts since, but MJ was the best.
Was also at this concert. GREAT show....Back story....My employer at that time, Sun Bank of Miami, had reserved the OB on that Saturday (no Canes or Dolphin home games that weekend) for a "Family Day" with lots of games and activities to be done on the field. That is, until the City contacted the Bank about moving the date to allow for the Michael Jackson concert. Needless to say, the bank got ALOT of tickets that were made available to employees.

Reactions: krvanness
Our taste in music is vastly different. All good... agree with Hendrix, Van Halen, Stevie ray and maybe tupac. Bob Marley for sure. That's about it.

Lmao @ Prince and Michael Jackson honorable mention. Not sure if anyone has sold more than Michael. Prince is a musicians musician who literally plays every instrument.

Marvin Gaye was incredible. That's more my taste. Motown. I would also add Teena Marie and Rick James and Biggie.... lastly Barry and Maurice Gibb.

Reactions: krvanness
Our taste in music is vastly different. All good... agree with Hendrix, Van Halen, Stevie ray and maybe tupac. Bob Marley for sure. That's about it.

Lmao @ Prince and Michael Jackson honorable mention. Not sure if anyone has sold more than Michael. Prince is a musicians musician who literally plays every instrument.

Marvin Gaye was incredible. That's more my taste. Motown. I would also add Teena Marie and Rick James and Biggie.... lastly Barry and Maurice Gibb.
Unpopular opinion here but how many people really go beyond Bob’s Legend album? Would Bob be Peter Tosh if he had lived? I guess it’s fair to ask, when they die young we project decades of hits to follow but sometimes even the most prolific fade, LL comes to mind; dude was considered the best ever and now is on no ones lit’s; different topic I guess but the Peter Tosh reference is applicable.

Unpopular opinion here but how many people really go beyond Bob’s Legend album? Would Bob be Peter Tosh if he had lived? I guess it’s fair to ask, when they die young we project decades of hits to follow but sometimes even the most prolific fade, LL comes to mind; dude was considered the best ever and now is on no ones lit’s; different topic I guess but the Peter Tosh reference is applicable.
Rock the bells!!!

Another great jazz legend who I was lucky to see at the Tabernacle in ATL in 2002 is Pat Metheny. He actually went to The U in the 70's but dropped out.

Was also at this concert. GREAT show....Back story....My employer at that time, Sun Bank of Miami, had reserved the OB on that Saturday (no Canes or Dolphin home games that weekend) for a "Family Day" with lots of games and activities to be done on the field. That is, until the City contacted the Bank about moving the date to allow for the Michael Jackson concert. Needless to say, the bank got ALOT of tickets that were made available to employees.
That's an awesome story. I was a Sun Bank customer. It was one hell of a show that night!

Last edited:
Reactions: JCR Cane
How about walking out to the student union when the stage was there and seeing Lighting Hopkins playing acoustic guitar and another time seeing Miles Davis out there. A long, long time ago. Don't remember what year I was in but I remember being amazed that both those musicians played on that stage.
Some of you might remember the concerts on campus , what was then the water treatment plant. Did some of you see when Black Sabbath played a very short set? Or when Laura Nero was pissed that the crowd was too busy making noise instead of listening to her music? BB King was there! I don't remember all the acts that was on campus ,maybe some others on here might remember.

How about walking out to the student union when the stage was there and seeing Lighting Hopkins playing acoustic guitar and another time seeing Miles Davis out there. A long, long time ago. Don't remember what year I was in but I remember being amazed that both those musicians played on that stage.
Some of you might remember the concerts on campus , what was then the water treatment plant. Did some of you see when Black Sabbath played a very short set? Or when Laura Nero was pissed that the crowd was too busy making noise instead of listening to her music? BB King was there! I don't remember all the acts that was on campus ,maybe some others on here might remember.
DAMN!!! I once saw Carrot Top at Broward Community College, Central Campus Cafeteria...LOL.

Most famous band I saw was Public Enemy at its prime for FAMU homecoming. Common used to play the Ratt when I was at law school but he was no where near this popular (ironically he and I went to FAMU together pretty sure he was at the PE concert but we werent' super close, same circle but not that close).

Miles man, just wow. I met Celia Cruz and Gloria Estefan (at UM graduation, I represented my class as Pres) and was blown away, Miles I would have just fuggin died.

Reactions: Allied2651
DAMN!!! I once saw Carrot Top at Broward Community College, Central Campus Cafeteria...LOL.

Most famous band I saw was Public Enemy at its prime for FAMU homecoming. Common used to play the Ratt when I was at law school but he was no where near this popular (ironically he and I went to FAMU together pretty sure he was at the PE concert but we werent' super close, same circle but not that close).

Miles man, just wow. I met Celia Cruz and Gloria Estefan (at UM graduation, I represented my class as Pres) and was blown away, Miles I would have just fuggin died.
Saw PE back in 1990 or 1991. Great show

Reactions: ellu
Please don't move this Gary or Matt. Maybe we can change it up a little from daily pumper/doomer battles.

Musicians you would bring back from the dead if you could for your own entertainment. Not trying to play God or take his job.

In no particular order.

1. Neil Peart – Drummer Rush
2. Tupac
3. Layne Staley – Singer Alice in Chains
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Scott Weiland – Singer Stone Temple Pilots
6. Chester Bennington – Singer Linkin Park (also subbed in with STP)
7. Bob Marley - The Wailers
8. Stevie Ray Vaughn
9. Chris Cornell – Soundgarden/Audioslave
10. Eddie Van Halen – Van Halen Guitarist

Nipsey Hustle deserves to be on the list based off of everything he was doing for his community, just damn near impossible to knock the above 10 off my list.

Honorable mention:
1. John Bonham – Drummer Led Zeppelin
2. Prince
3. Michael Jackson
4. Keith Flint - Prodigy
5. Barry Gibb/Maurice Gibb – Bee Gees
6. Marvin Gaye
7. Phife Dogg – A Tribe Called Quest
8. Bon Scott – AC/DC Lead Singer
9 Biggie
10. Mac Miller
11. Amy Winehouse

Was never a fan of Whitney Houston - Sorry

This was off the top of my head so I know I am highly likely missing a bunch, like Randy Rhoades, Kurt Cobain, Avicii, Dolores O'Riordan, Eazy E, Jim Morrison, Lisa "Left Eye Lopes, Aaliyah, Duane Allman, Jam Master Jay and many many more.

Sorry to the people who like country musicians. I despise country music so those musicians are purposely left off the lists.
Gram Parsons-Grievous Angel. Gave Emmy Lou her start.

Ritchie Valens and Steve Gaines. Both were just scratching the surface of where their talents would have taken them. I would have included Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper with Valens but then we would have never heard Don MClean's song, American Pie.

Lennon would be 81 today but we would have had his musical genius during the 80’s 90’s and 00’s..
True, Johnny Cash covered Hurt at 71. Ronald Isley just turned 81 and has the number 14 on R&B Billboard chart so yeah, definitely a good point dmatt.

Creedence Clearwater Revival
one of my favorite bands growing up but basically they were "The John Fogarty Band" . John wrote all their hits except for their covers, and he did all the arranging. in fact the band members complained about John micro managing. Finally John gave in to the other members demand and let them write and arrange music in one album and the result was received with terrible reviews by the critics. John went solo shortly after. I saw them in concert at the Miami beach Convention Center in August of 71, a good show.

I've always loved jazz, and saw Al Jarreau at Sunrise Musical Theater in the 80s. Such a talent.
JIM MORRISON!
allthough I believe he is still alive

Woke up this morning, got myself a beer,
Yeah I woke up this morning, I got myself a beer,
The future is uncertain and the end is always near
Alice Cooper in an interview claims he had a lot to do with this song. Alice claims he hung out with Jim in the late 60s. The way he says it happened was that he and Jim were hanging out and someone came by and asked Alice what he did that day and he answered "i got up this morning and I got myself a beer". The next thing he knows it appears in the lyrics to "Roadhouse Blues". FWIW: Alice went sober in the 80s I think and claims he has not fallen of the wagon,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT