ADVERTISEMENT

The Adidas Factor

timujian

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2006
I read an article in an online business magazine about Adidas' new efforts to gain a greater market share in America. A lot of it discussed the Miami/Adidas partnership. It is obvious that Adidas hopes that Miami will do for it what Oregon does for Nike. They intend that Miami will be their flagship program for their product line. It is clear that Adidas expects that Miami will be committed to building a strong sports program with the emphasis on a premier football program. I believe that Adidas would not have entered a long term contractual relationship with Miami without assurances from the people that matter that Miami will act like other big time, football universities. When Blake James asserts that Miami will be competitive in coaching salaries, I believe he is talking nationally, not just the ACC or small, private schools. I do not think we will see half-stepping, penny-pinching reluctance any longer. In our next coaching search, salary concerns will not be a deciding issue for all but a very few.

There have been assertions on this board that the "noise," reduced ticket sales, national ridicule, etc. has no appreciable effect on Miami decision makers. This may be true. But I bet it has a huge effect on Adidas. They are not going to like nationally televised home games with tons of empty seats, repleet with snide and insulting commentary by the media. They expect Miami football to be highly successful and exciting and very appealing to their target demographics. For them, perception is reality.

The Miami administration might be content with an 8-4 season. Adidas wont be.

I think the Miami football team has to make a splash nationally for coach Golden to retain his job primarily because of the Adidas factor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News