ADVERTISEMENT

The JJ & Butch Influence Showed Up in Mario's Press Conference

Joer

SuperCane
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2002
Crescent Beach, FL
www.jmrubinoconsulting.com
In the segment Of Cristóbal's press conference where he was asked about recruiting, he emphasized that before recruiting a player, there needed to be player evaluation. One could tell that his mind was working, trying to figure out a way to explain such a complicated subject. As he talked, I immediately thought of Jimmy Johnson and Butch Davis, and the fact that they had recruited him to play at Miami. Mario then went on to talk NOT about how high players were rated, but whether they were a fit for his program.

In my opinion, Jimmie Johnson and Butch Davis had as much of an influence on player recruiting as any two college coaches ever. When JJ was hired by Sam Jankovich in 1984, he was told he had to accept Howard Schnellenberger's existing staff due to the timing. JJ said "OK", but he would only take the job if he was allowed to bring one assistant coach with him. That coach was a relatively unknown 24-year-old assistant named Butch Davis. When Jankovich asked JJ why he wanted Butch, JJ responded that this young coach was the best recruiter he had ever seen.

As many Cane fans know, the Jimmie Johnson era at Miami revolutionized player evaluation and recruiting, and provided a blueprint that was quickly copied by other colleges across the country. JJ (and Butch) prioritized speed and intellect over other stats like size, strength, and the player's reputation with other recruiting sources. JJ famously said: "I don't care much how they're rated, I want to know: Can he play?"

JJ, and his disciple Butch, were looking for a different type of player. They were looking for players that fit the way that JJ wanted them to play. As we know, JJ was a psychology major, and each player's psychology was very important to him. Butch emphasized that later on when he took over the program. As a result, we wound up with many great players who were under-recruited but became all Americans because they were good players who were also very smart. I don't remember hearing much about the term "Football IQ" until JJ came along, but the fact is that many of the players who became great Hurricanes were undervalued by colleges nationwide but were players that JJ and Butch saw something special in.

I could not help but think of this as Mario spent his speech talking less about talent and more about attitude. He wants that total mental and psychological commitment that winners have. I think that is what JJ & Butch were looking for. Do we want a player that's going to check the boxes, wow the scouts, & impress the recruiting services? Or do we want players who can win?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News