ADVERTISEMENT

UM President Julio Frenk to leave for job at UCLA

BenjaminRivals

SuperCane
Staff
Jun 7, 2022

To the University of Miami Community,

Today I share the news that President Julio Frenk will be leaving the University of Miami to serve as the next Chancellor of the University of California, Los Angeles, one of the world’s great public research universities, starting January 1, 2025.

In his nine years at the U, Julio led us through some of the most consequential moments in our history. He helped guide the University through unprecedented challenges, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, and empowered our students, faculty, and staff to achieve excellence in every area—education, research, patient care, and service to society. Our health system has achieved a dramatic turnaround. The U’s ascension to the Association of American Universities last year confirmed our position as one of the premier research universities in the country. We made historic investments to manage through significant—and ongoing—changes in intercollegiate athletics. We have continued to attract the best and brightest minds to partner with our community on pressing challenges from sustainability to cancer.

Julio’s tenure has been marked by resilience, vision, and an innovative management model that allowed us to attain remarkable results for our students, patients, and community. He will begin a sabbatical from the University of Miami starting today to focus on his transition to California as UCLA Chancellor-designate.

As we bid Julio farewell, our commitment to excellence remains unwavering. To that end, I am pleased to announce that following consultation with the leadership of the Faculty Senate, the Board of Trustees has selected Chief Executive Officer Joe Echevarria to serve as Acting President of the University of Miami, effective immediately. Joe has served as Julio’s very capable partner for the past four years—first as CEO of UHealth and for the past two years as CEO of our entire institution. Joe is a proud alumnus and a proven and accomplished leader whose deep commitment to our academic mission has enabled much of our recent success, with clear strategy and focused execution of our education, research, and health care missions. Those of you who have worked with Joe know that his gift for asking the right questions, empowering talented professionals, and insisting on accountability is precisely the steady leadership we need to persist on our journey of continuous improvement.

My fellow Trustees and I are also committed to ensuring an orderly leadership transition in the spirit of shared governance. At this key juncture, we are especially grateful for the constructive partnership we have built with the Faculty Senate. Over the next several months, the Board of Trustees will engage in a thoughtful and robust discussion with faculty and other important stakeholders to initiate the process of identifying the next President of the University of Miami.

As we approach our second century, we are mindful of our responsibility to not only maintain but also advance our leadership in all areas, and to continue the remarkable ascent of a university that has achieved so much in such a short time. On behalf of the entire University of Miami Board of Trustees, please join me in wishing Julio the very best as he prepares to take the helm at UCLA and thanking Joe for his willingness to serve the U again at this crucial moment.

Manny Kadre
Chair, Board of Trustees
University of Miami

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News