ADVERTISEMENT

What's so hard to understand about the state of the HC position here?

OrangeBowlMagic

SuperCane
Nov 8, 2005
I want to shake some of you sometimes. You guys are laughing in the faces of candidates like Mario, or Chud, or even Charlie Strong...and saying things like why don't we hire Chip Kelly? Can't we get Gruden?

Listen to me, very, very carefully. I'm even going to yell. Maybe then some of you can possibly comprehend:

THIS IS NOT A TOP 30-35 JOB IN THE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're not getting Chip Kelly out of the NFL to come to a 2nd or 3rd tier program. It's not happening you bozos.

Look, I love this program more than anyone. No one lives and dies with this program more than me, I promise you that. But at some point you have to look in the mirror. Some of you dress up every night and think you're Brad Pitt and go to the bar and come home with your dick in your hand. At some point you gotta look in the mirror. You're not Brad Pitt! This is not an incredibly attractive job. Period. End of story. We are who we are, and some of you need to face reality.

You've got an AWFUL fan base. Just terrible. You think everyone in the country doesn't know about the banners you shitheads fly when you don't like someone? Who wants to sign up for that? The stadium is a joke. You play in front of a half empty stadium (at best) every week which you have to take a long bus ride to from your campus. The administration are casual observers, at best. You don't have the full commitment to winning football games here like you do at USCe, or USC, or Texas, or 30 other schools. The facilities are OK. We just got lights on our practice field, you guys do realize that, correct? Lights. MANY other schools have multi-million dollar indoor practice facilities. Until this year our kids had to go inside when it got dark out. And then, probably most importantly, we don't pay anybody anything. The salaries here are not even remotely comparable to the top schools in America. Not even close. So, if I'm making $5 million a year, why the hell am I coming to UM to make $2.5? And also, who am I bringing with me that will coach a position group for $200K? NO ONE! That's why guys like Mario, or Chud, or maybe Fuente, or Herman are the only guys who not only make sense, but they're the only guys who are even remotely feasible. Stop saying Gruden and Chip Kelly and Mark Stoops!!!! These guys LAUGH at the conditions at Miami. The single attraction we have here is the athletes. You can win here if you know what you're doing and can really, really recruit. But you have to recruit at an elite level because you're way behind in every aspect of the arms race. So you're either getting a "Miami" guy, who loves this program and would come back a la Butch (although I don't think that will happen, but that's another thread), Chud, Mario...someone like that. Or you're getting another "up and coming" coach like Fuente or Herman...someone like that who will not command 4-5 million on the open market and needs 1 "big" job before he can really command big bucks. Another stepping stone type guy who, if he had his way, would win here for 5 years and bolt somewhere they care about football.

But jesus christ some of you need to chill out. This is NOT USC! Nothing this administration has EVER done has even given a glimmer of hope to the fact that they will put football at the epicenter of the university. Nothing. And I don't think it starts now. Why would it? What's so bad? Is the university crumbling? Admissions down? National perception bad? Is there anything negative right now about UM as an institution other than its football program is average? Nope. So what in the hell do you people think the guys sitting behind the oak desks care for? Everything is just fine at UM. The kids are staying out of trouble, the program is generating enough revenue with the Adidas money to finance the rest of the athletic program....why in the world do we give a shit enough to go hire Chip Kelly for 6 million a year?

Sorry for the morning reality. But I just can't take the insanity anymore. Be happy with Mario or someone like him, because that's the best we're going to get. And that's the reason I'm fully on the Cristobal train. At least we know his heart is here. The other guys in our price range see this job as nothing more than a blip on the radar until they can really get paid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News