ADVERTISEMENT

A Few Thoughts About Jarren Starting At QB From A Non-Expert Fan...

advarkas

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
Hometown: Coral Gables; Currently: Downtown FTL
So I spent a ton of time at lunch today looking at just about every ounce of footage of Jarren throwing the football the last 6 to 12 months that I could find.

A few things that my non-expert eyes tell me:
- He keeps the ball nice and tight as he winds up to throw. It's not a big, loopy motion that takes more time and would otherwise be subject to being stripped. He gets zip on the balls and doesn't need a lot of arm movement to generate good throwing velocity.

- Hits WRs in stride, so guys like Jeff Thomas etc. should have a ton of YAC this year on slants and such.

- His movement is smooth when he drops back and moves within the pocket. There's not a lot of bobbing and weaving and awkwardness to his drop backs. He's a fluid thrower, albeit without a real, bona fide pass rush in his face.

- His deep balls tend to hang. I think Matt mentioned that, but frankly I'm not too worried about it because this OL can't block for 7 step drop backs and long developing plays.

My theory is that Enos will want to implement more of a west coast look with pre-snap motion and short hitting passes where guys are crossing, slanting, and dragging in short open space and almost all of our yardage is made in YAC. Williams seems to best built for the 3-10 yard timing routes which require 1 to 3 step drop backs, quick zip-hitting, and leading the WR/TE/RB in stride so YAC can be maximized. And he's plenty mobile enough to where Enos can have him on playaction rollouts and sprintouts and maybe even an occasional RPO.

But I admit that all of what I opined is based off of either practice or projected theory. There's a reason Vegas has this team at 8/5 o/u, and we have to be objective about our expectations, especially against UF...

Obviously, nobody knows how it will all unfold under the lights against a top-10/top-15 team is going to blitz the S**T out of our OL all night... But at least "The New Miami" truly has a new QB, and a quality backup is right behind Jarren in the event things go awry. But I am cautiously optimistic that Jarren can have some real success moving the chains with high percentage completions off of shorter yardage scheming by Enos. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News