ADVERTISEMENT

Canes Revamped Offense and more..

CANESKINGOFCFB

SuperCane
Jan 25, 2016
One thing Mark Richt did this offseason with his staff is have each member grade themselves, as well as add what they felt they would change to any part of the team. He then graded each staff member himself, and they all met, not one on one, but as a group, and reviewed each grade, which could get dicey if you think about it.. Instead it really helped the staff as a whole, and mainly helped Richt, as there was a good chunk of discussion about the current offense. Richt in turn decided to have some of his trusted coaches outside the program take a fresh look at what his offense was doing.. The overwhelming consensus was that the offense lacked the amount of motion and packages to take advantage of what miami will have plenty of this season, speed..... So Richt has scrapped a good chunk of the slow developing plays that put us behind the chains last season.. Now More plays out to the edges, more quick slants, sweeps, reverses, and most importantly MOTION....The emphasis on consistency from the qb is because they will be asked to focus a lot more on the quick completions, rather than the long developing play action plays, which arent eliminated, but much less a factor..

The qbs as we discussed are graded after each practice, the lowest current comp % of any is 64%, the best is 78%...So all the qbs are doing well..They are about to start throwing much more at them, which will in turn give us much more as far as big plays and as well, big struggles..Also remember the qbs will end up broken down into two groups, so everything that is happening now is basically the crawl before they walk state..

Walton and Homer look absolutely outstanding... Homer hit the edge with Malek Young with an angle and outran the angle, as the play was blown dead but Homer and Young both continued and Brown yelled something along the lines of "thats speed baby".. Young was a mid 100m guy in highschool just fyi.. Walton is one of the most fit guys on the roster, he looks outstanding so far in every facet of his game, and his leadership is perfectly on point..Burns, and before I say this everyone here knows how critical I am about athleticism, but he seems meh to me, and yes, I know its early.. He lacks speed imo, and yes he has nice size, but I havent seen enough so maybe I am completely off here, so hold off on calling me a hater just yet...

My biggest concern at the moment is the challenge the wideouts have to grasp the quick offense and how much the younger guys will need to step up.. Mullins looks great, quick, shifty, excellent hands.. Richards looks great as expected, actually looks a bit quicker to me,.but also looks a bit thinner.... Berrios is reliable, and hopefully he will now be used better, as his size didnt do him any favors in the last scheme.. Cager isnt 100% clear to do all activities yet, he is running, and says he feels great, but we still dont know on him..Harris while quick and decent hands, still needs to make his presence known more, and thats why he was lost so much in the shuffle last year(to be fair he was hurt midway through the year and played the rest of the season while it lingered). Here is where I see the tables turning for our offense, Dallas is a straight beast.. He is cocky fellas, but not over the top, he is what the canes have needed attitude wise.. He will challenge anyone at any thing.. He is fast, has better than average hands, AND WILL be involved in the running game some..So if either Thomas or Harley can make a splash, we will have a real chance of being the most explosive offense in the ACC..

At TE Herndon doesnt jump out, and Im not so sure thats a bad thing, as I watched him run several plays and not make a mistake in any, and caught every ball he was supposed to.. Not once did Richt or anyone yell at him anything negative, and he just keeps doing everything right.. The younger guys look young, and I hope Irvin or Haskins can emerge as a solid backup..I am not sure how Njoku will be used yet, Dugans seems to think he will land him at wideout to start, but thats tbd..

Everyone is worried about the OL, but imo, thats not as much of an issue, as they wont be expected to give the qb all day, and the quickness of the offense will dictate what the defense does more.. We also finally have some nice depth and some really nice young talent.. This isnt a concern imo..

More to come as we proceed into spring ball, while everyone is worried about the qbs, its just nice to have 4 good athletes all trying to win the job.. Rosier looks great, Evan (has the highest comp rate) probably shouldnt post that but oh well, and Weldon looks like the best athlete.. Allison is hanging in there, and throws the ball on a rope to any spot on the field.. Richt has him working on making things softer.. As we really get into practice now we should see the real ability jump forward, as there is only so much you can get from what they have been doing.. I will say its cool to see Weldon dropping dimes in a bucket from 35-40 yards away... Anyway thats all for now..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News