ADVERTISEMENT

DL Analysis

timujian

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2006
I reviewed every defensive play from the Florida game in stop action and slow motion. For each DL, I determined whether the DL was effectively or ineffectively blocked. Generally speaking, if the DL gets off the block quickly, I consider him to be ineffectively blocked. If no one attempts to block the DL, I make no notation. I do not keep statistics for games against non division one opponents. I do include statistics for plays which are subsequently nullified by penalty.

This analysis is limited to just this one aspect of DL performance and is not an attempt to grade a DL which would take many more aspects of DL’s performance into account.

I express my results in ratios. For example, a 3.0:1 ratio means that a DL was effectively blocked 3 times for every one time he was ineffectively blocked. Obviously, the lower the ratio, the better the performance.

In an attempt to give greater coherence to the data, I have created three categories: clearly good, mediocre, and clearly bad. The delineation of these categories is based solely on past Miami DL performance and has been readjusted from time to time.

Blocked (Run)

Less than 3.3:0=clearly good

3.3:1 - 5.0:1=mediocre

Greater than 5.0:1=clearly bad

Blocked (Pass)

Less than 5.7:1=clearly good

5.7:1 - 9.5:1=mediocre

Greater than 9.5:1=clearly bad

I also keep track of tackles for loss, stuffs (tackles made between the line of scrimmage and two yards downfield), sacks, and QB pressures. I keep performance statistics, not game statistics. Therefore, I do not fractionalize. For example, if more than one defender makes a sack, I give all who are involved complete credit rather than partial credit. My statistics therefore, will usually be greater than the official statistics. For QB pressures, I include plays where a DL forces a QB to scramble even though he never puts the QB under duress when he passes the ball.

Florida

Blocked (Run)

Clearly Good (<3.3:1)

1. Hill 0.2:1

3. Nnoruka 1.5!

3. Rousseau 1.5:1

5. Patchen 1.8:1

5. Ford 1.8:1

6. Garvin 2.0:1

Mediocre (3.3:1 - 5.0:1)

Bethel 4.7:1

Clearly Bad (>5.0:1)

NONE

Florida

Blocked (Pass)

Clearly Good (<5.7:1)

1. Hill 1.0:1

2. Rousseau 1.7:1

3. Patchen 3.7:1

4. Garvin 4.4:1

Mediocre (5.7:1 - 9.5:1)

5. Ford 7.0:1

6. Bethel 8.5:1

Clearly Bad (>9.5:1)

7. Miller was effectively blocked on all 4 attempts.

8. Nnoruka was effectively blocked on all 6 attempts.

Tackles For Loss

Florida

1. Hill 1

1. Bethel 1

Stuffs

Florida

1. Garvin 3

4. Patchen 1

4. Bethel 1

4. Rousseau 1

Sacks

Florida

1. Rousseau 1

QB Pressures

Florida

1. Patchen 5

3. Hill 3

3. Garvin 3

5. Ford 1

5. Rousseau 1

General Observations:

1. I thought the DL’s performance against Florida was disappointing especially since Florida’s OL was not considered to be very good. One sack and two TFLs is pathetic. Willis is a huge loss to this defense.

2. Bethel and Ford gave absolutely no indication last season that they were adept at collapsing the pocket. It is not surprising that they failed to do so against Florida. Franks stepped up into a vast empty space to throw a 65 yd. bomb that set up Florida’s winning TD because Ford and Bethel were being stoned around the LOI. They played over 90% of the passing attempts.

3. I think Garvin played far below the standard he set last season.

4. In limited playing time, Hill and Rousseau looked very good.

5. Depite the absence of big plays, the DL was robust against the run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News