ADVERTISEMENT

Insight into the Mind of a Pumper - An Op Ed (A Bit Long)

rkrantz

SuperCane
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2009
Plantation, FL
Hi everyone, my name is Ryan, and I'm a Sunshine Pumper.

I've been reading alot of posts lately and was engaged in a discussion on another thread, and during my response I felt the need to truly explain some insight into my life and situation that may (or may not) resonate with some on this board. There is no shortage of vitriol going around on this site, some of which is validated and deserved, some of which is a bit much. While there will always be a division as long as we arent winning Natty's and making playoff appearances on the regular, I feel like there is a place where we can all find some understanding about each other and our opinions about where this program is and where its going. So, here we go...

I like talking football... sometimes my thoughts, opinions and insight about Miami Hurricane football are correct and sometimes they are wrong. When I'm wrong... its no big deal and when I'm right, its still no big deal. Its just college football. I love it more than any other sport, but its still just "entertainment" in the grand scheme of things. I buy my season tickets every year no matter what. I suppose in many peoples eyes, I am part of the problem. An ostrich with my head in the sand just allowing the problem to drag on. But at this point in my life, I'd rather build the traditions and make the memories of going to football games with my young children than pull my support and sit at home in misery watching on TV.

As I was typing out my response in another thread on this... I realize that I am in fact in the wrong for the times I have called people idiots or trolls... because I just realized that many of you probably arent in the same life situation as I am right now. I'm just in a different place than alot of people are and its more important to me to instill the love and passion of Miami Hurricane football in my kids and teach them about how to love and support someone or something no matter what.

I'm sorry some of the "Anti-Pumpers" get called "troll" and "haters" and "non-Miami fans" based on your opinions which are different than those of others. That sucks, and shouldnt be allowed, as we all have a vested interest in this program or we wouldnt be here. I know Gary cant control the board like he would really like to or he'd be out of subscribers, but that's just the nature of the beast. Its on us to act like adults... and I'm guilty of not doing so from time to time.

There are some on here that pound their chests about being "right" about certain things that are perceived "wrong" with this program. There are many different opinions on this, some turn out to be true and others dont. When something that was perceived or predicted to be wrong or bad for the program actually does turn out to be wrong or bad hurts because it carves out a little piece of my heart that still wants to believe.

Each time this happens, I lose a little bit more of my soul. While my kids are enjoying themselves and are entertained as hell by just being at the game... I'm hurting inside just like everyone else because I know that the product they are witnessing on the field is no where near the quality product that I saw when I was their age, which made me fall even more in love with this program. I find so much joy in their joy, while my guts are wrenched and I want to punch something.

I'm torn between 2 different emotions... I want to be so angry, but I also want to set a good example for my kids and enjoy my time with them in this setting... so as difficult as it is, I choose joy. So, I apologize for lashing out at those of you who pound your chests about being correct on the current staff and situation this program finds itself in.

While many of you are relishing in your victory and are basking in your supreme knowledge, myself and others like me are dying a little more inside... so its difficult to watch some on this site that seem to be celebrating our continued mediocrity as a program for their own personal bravado.

We're all fans and are passionate about this program. We all have opinions about the current situation, the future and what it may take to get us all to the promised land that we've been so far removed from. But I've come to realize that we all see things through a looking glass that is customized to our exact life situation at the time.

Maybe we can all have a bit more compassion for other peoples looking glasses...?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News