ADVERTISEMENT

Just tasted the Chinese Bordeaux style red blend for the first time

SuperCane
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2005
for the last fifteen years I’ve been hearing about how the Chinese were trying to beat out the French for their classified medoc wines which are the historically, traditionally and imo the best cab sauv based blends in the history of the world. The Chinese are literally pouring billions into their wine projects and supposedly have the best resources, similar climates at opposite seasons with the brightest minds they can get their hands on. For the most part no one out side of China has been able to get their hands on these wines from their top makers, until now.
Verdict……

it sucked lol. For as much as they’ve put into this one wine in particular silver heights family reserve that they’ve been building up for so long, I was surprised at the whole sale price of around $60 which is comparable to most fifth growths even in the good vintages. I’d of thought it would have been much higher all things considered (most of the best classified medocs go for 100’s-thousands but just figured they were just testing the waters till they could jump up the price like most good wine makers do.

It was bitter, had off the wall molasses characteristics, the 14% alc which isn’t crazy (100acre for example is 16 and amazing) was waaay out of balance, there was good acidity but was dwarfed again by the alc and their was like a weird mesquite smokiness to it that just seemed random and not at all added
to it. Really kind of reminded me of an amaro spirit or a barley wine ale. There was fruit, acid, bitter, sweet and smoke and non of it played together well. I will say that there was some old world funk characteristics like barn yard animals, leather, misc mushrooms etc so it wasn’t all bad. It’s like they targeted all the right characteristics but just couldn’t put it together.

epic fail imo.

you can’t buy or steal a form of art as if it’s your own.

Last edited:
for the last fifteen years I’ve been hearing about how the Chinese were trying to beat out the French for their classified medoc wines which are the historically, traditionally and imo the best cab sauv based blends in the history of the world. The Chinese are literally pouring billions into their wine projects and supposedly have the best resources, similar climates at opposite seasons with the brightest minds they can get their hands on. For the most part no one out side of China has been able to get their hands on these wines from their top makers, until now.
Verdict……

it sucked lol. For as much as they’ve put into this one wine in particular silver heights family reserve that they’ve been building up for so long, I was surprised at the whole sale price of around $60 which is comparable to most fifth growths even in the good vintages. I’d of thought it would have been much higher all things considered (most of the best classified medocs go for 100’s-thousands but just figured they were just testing the waters till they could jump up the price like most good wine makers do.

It was bitter, had off the wall molasses characteristics, the 14% alc which isn’t crazy (100acre for example is 16 and amazing) was waaay out of balance, there was good acidity but was dwarfed again by the alc and their was like a weird mesquite smokiness to it that just seemed random and not at all added
to it. Really kind of reminded me of an amaro spirit or a barley wine ale. There was fruit, acid, bitter, sweet and smoke and non of it played together well. I will say that there was some old world funk characteristics like barn yard animals, leather, misc mushrooms etc so it wasn’t all bad. It’s like they targeted all the right characteristics but just couldn’t put it together.

epic fail imo.

I was curious about the Chinese wines after watching the original Somm documentary on Netflix. I'll stick with my Bourdeaux, Southern Rhone, Spanish Rioja, and Grenaches.

I was curious about the Chinese wines after watching the original Somm documentary on Netflix. I'll stick with my Bourdeaux, Southern Rhone, Spanish Rioja, and Grenaches.
There’s another documentary on i think netflix called red obsession that touch’s on the Chinese trying to buy up all the best french wines which is why the prices have gone up almost %100 in the last ten years. Another one that’s awesome even if you’re not into wines is sour grapes which is about one of the biggest counterfeit scandals of all time. Think catch me if you can but wine.

The Chinese are good for foot massages, fried rice and ironing my shirts...please don't ask me to drink their wine

• Haha
Reactions: El Cubano
Verdict……

epic fail imo.

Fucck those commie bastards..!!!

Reactions: RJWwood
The Chinese are good for foot massages, fried rice and ironing my shirts...please don't ask me to drink their wine
Don’t forget massage parlors with happy endings.. They love u long time…👍👍👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT