ADVERTISEMENT

New Clubs

Yeah, Lounge, I know

Just got the new TM Carbon Faced Driver and 4 Wood. Smooth as butter. Got the Mizuno Pro 220 Irons. Excited! Technology matters man...

@advarkas thoughts? Carbon face is crazy light and balanced and sounds same
Glad you enjoyed the driver. I demoed it with my 70g Hrzdus shaft and it felt good. The Sim 1 is a heavier head and I am still using that one when I compete in windier links style setups where I can have a lower Apex and more rollout. Right now, I have the Sim 2 in the bag because it is a slightly lighter head than the Sim 1 and I enjoy generating the club head speed to get more of a launch angle (I am 112-118 club head speed with the Sim 2).

Mizuno is most underrated iron company in golf. Extraordinary brand and premium irons.

I’ve been with TaylorMade for almost 15 years and I’m loyal to the company in everything I have. My current bag is:

TM Sim 2 Driver 8 degrees, 70g Hzrdus shaft

TM P-790 2-Iron
- True Temper S300 105g steel shaft
- 14 degrees (de-lofted 3 degrees, it plays closer to a 1-Iron than a pure 2-Iron)

TM P-7MC 3-Iron to PW
- 1 degree strong
- 1 degree flat (PW is 46 degrees)

TM Milled Grind 3 Wedges, 50-54-58
- standard loft
- 1 degree flat
- 9-11-11 bounce

And my TM Putter, an old school TM-770 Est 79 from 2011, brand new.

Last edited:
Technology does matter, but I have a BUNCH of friends that have all spent a fortune on PXG irons and I tell them all the same thing; you would have been better off putting the money into lessons.

Reactions: Spidercane
Glad you enjoyed the driver. I demoed it with my 70g Hrzdus shaft and it felt good. The Sim 1 is a heavier head and I am still using that one when I compete in windier links style setups where I can have a lower Apex and more rollout. Right now, I have the Sim 2 in the bag because it is a slightly lighter head than the Sim 1 and I enjoy generating the club head speed to get more of a launch angle (I am 112-118 club head speed with the Sim 2).

Mizuno is most underrated iron company in golf. Extraordinary brand and premium irons.

I’ve been with TaylorMade for almost 15 years and I’m loyal to the company in everything I have. My current bag is:

TM P-790 2-Iron, 14 degrees, True Temper S300 steel shaft (de-lofted 3 degrees, it plays closer to a 1-Iron than a pure 2-Iron)

TM P-MC 3-Iron to PW, 1 degree strong, 1 degree flat (PW is 46 degrees)

TM Milled Grind 3 Wedges, 50-54-58, 1 degree flat.

Got your same irons but without your adjustments. TM is making good products. But yea Mizuno makes great irons. I work at Dicks Sporting goods as a side job and ive hit the stealth and its nice and all but I still crush my old SLDR. Once that gives out ill look at the Stealth. Do want to try out the new Rogues from Callaway though.

Reactions: advarkas
Got your same irons but without your adjustments. TM is making good products. But yea Mizuno makes great irons. I work at Dicks Sporting goods as a side job and ive hit the stealth and its nice and all but I still crush my old SLDR. Once that gives out ill look at the Stealth. Do want to try out the new Rogues from Callaway though.

I played with the P-790s for 2 years, and reached a point in tournaments when I needed more workability and feel with my irons, so I made the switch to the P-7MCs right before I went to TPC-Sawgrass about 3 weeks ago for a major amateur tournament, and have loved them.

TM P-790 2-Iron
- 14 degrees (de-lofted 3 degrees, it plays closer to a 1-Iron than a pure 2-Iron)

TM P-7MC 3-Iron to PW
- 1 degree strong

- standard loft
- 1 degree flat
- 9-11-11 bounce

Nice Arsenal! I love the 790 2 Iron, my father, who is 75 has the same club and often tees off with it on windier days, haha. No hybrids for us!

I must have it 10 different brands and I simply loved the Mizunos. Was pounding the 7 iron 165 dead into a heavy wind. That’s very long for me.

TM P-790 2-Iron

TM P-7MC 3-Iron to PW
- 1 degree strong

- standard loft
- 1 degree flat
- 9-11-11 bounce

No fairway woods?

No fairway woods?

I've always carried 12 irons. I carry my 2-Iron 240-245 yards off the tee and 230-235 yards from the fairway. I carry my Driver 292-311 yards depending on the shot type. So, if I need 270 off the tee, that is just choking down on my Driver playing it one more ball length back and hitting more of a running driver stinger which will roll out to 260-270.

I played with the P-790s for 2 years, and reached a point in tournaments when I needed more workability and feel with my irons, so I made the switch to the P-7MCs right before I went to TPC-Sawgrass about 3 weeks ago for a major amateur tournament, and have loved them.
7MC’s are great, I just can’t hit them consistently enough. Ball striker set there!

I've always carried 12 irons. I carry my 2-Iron 240-245 yards off the tee and 230-235 yards from the fairway. I carry my Driver 292-311 yards depending on the shot type. So, if I need 270 off the tee, that is just choking down on my Driver playing it one more ball length back and hitting more of a running driver stinger which will roll out to 260-270.
Interesting. It obviously works for you. I've never seen that set up before.

Interesting. It obviously works for you. I've never seen that set up before.

Typically don’t have to play the Driver that way unless there is a specific yardage at 260 I am targeting of the tee. Even a 400-420 yard Par-4 typically leaves me with only a 7-iron to 9-iron approach after a 2-Iron tee shot, so on Par-72 courses, I’m likely hitting 7 Drivers, 7 2-Irons off of 14 total non-Par 3 holes. My driving accuracy in 2021 was 79% (11.1/14 fairways) which was #3 for the South Florida section on the amateur tour I compete, and this season I’m at 82% (11.5/14 fairways), #1 in driving accuracy, albeit early in the season.

Now, the main reason I have had extraordinary success so far this year in the Championship Flight is because I put more of a premium on hitting fairways off the tee than probably any Championship Flight player in the South Florida section. On many Par 5s in tournaments, including at Eagle Trace where I won my 3rd Tournament of the season, I hit a 2-iron, sometimes even a 5-iron off the tee, playing station to station and turning those holes into a 90-120 wedge game. Some Par 5s are unreachable in 2, or you can’t hold the green from long range in 2, so I am more than comfortable hitting a 202 yard 5-iron, followed by a 177 yard 7-Iron followed by some wedge.

Typically don’t have to play the Driver that way unless there is a specific yardage at 260 I am targeting of the tee. Even a 400-420 yard Par-4 typically leaves me with only a 7-iron to 9-iron approach after a 2-Iron tee shot, so on Par-72 courses, I’m likely hitting 7 Drivers, 7 2-Irons off of 14 total non-Par 3 holes. My driving accuracy in 2021 was 79% (11.1/14 fairways) which was #3 for the South Florida section on the amateur tour I compete, and this season I’m at 82% (11.5/14 fairways), #1 in driving accuracy, albeit early in the season.

Now, the main reason I have had extraordinary success so far this year in the Championship Flight is because I put more of a premium on hitting fairways off the tee than probably any Championship Flight player in the South Florida section. On many Par 5s in tournaments, including at Eagle Trace where I won my 3rd Tournament of the season, I hit a 2-iron, sometimes even a 5-iron, playing station to station and turning those holes into a 90-120 wedge game.
When going for a long par 5 in two, can you hold the green with the 2 iron?

When going for a long par 5 in two, can you hold the green with the 2 iron?
(1) Layout
(2) Conditions
(3) Situation

(1) Layout. Typically, The layout of the green -and the immediate layout around it will be the biggest factor whether to go for the green in 2. Is there a bailout? Bunkers short which will let me come up to the flag? Where is the flag? How many paces front to back? Firm greens versus soft greens? All these factors have to be quickly processed as I approach my ball typically taking on average 60 seconds from the time I use my Bushnell to ping the yardage to when I actually hit the ball

(2) Conditions - self explanatory. Head winds and tail winds are typically easier to judge from long range going for the green in 2 than crosswinds, especially left to right winds for a fade player like me. Also rain versus sun, cold weather versus warmer weather will obviously affect ball flight. Balls at 7:10 am early typically don’t carry as long as balls at high noon when the sun is more out and you’re more warmed up.

(3) Situation - tournament situations will always dictate my course management and shot selections. Sometimes you have to let it rip down 2-3 strokes final round sometimes you have play percentages and sometimes you just have to go with what you feel at that moment.

Yeah, Lounge, I know

Just got the new TM Carbon Faced Driver and 4 Wood. Smooth as butter. Got the Mizuno Pro 220 Irons. Excited! Technology matters man...

Mizuno is a great iron for low handicappers. Most guys use game improvement. Rogue x is an excellent iron for mid to high handicap but I own the mizuno pro and i can honestly say they are thr best irons.

(1) Layout
(2) Conditions
(3) Situation

(1) Layout. Typically, The layout of the green -and the immediate layout around it will be the biggest factor whether to go for the green in 2. Is there a bailout? Bunkers short which will let me come up to the flag? Where is the flag? How many paces front to back? Firm greens versus soft greens? All these factors have to be quickly processed as I approach my ball typically taking on average 60 seconds from the time I use my Bushnell to ping the yardage to when I actually hit the ball

(2) Conditions - self explanatory. Head winds and tail winds are typically easier to judge from long range going for the green in 2 than crosswinds, especially left to right winds for a fade player like me. Also rain versus sun, cold weather versus warmer weather will obviously affect ball flight. Balls at 7:10 am early typically don’t carry as long as balls at high noon when the sun is more out and you’re more warmed up.

(3) Situation - tournament situations will always dictate my course management and shot selections. Sometimes you have to let it rip down 2-3 strokes final round sometimes you have play percentages and sometimes you just have to go with what you feel at that moment.
You sound like Phil Michelson!

Much different from my hacker game of, see ball, Hit ball. 😂

TM P-790 2-Iron

TM P-7MC 3-Iron to PW
- 1 degree strong

- standard loft
- 1 degree flat
- 9-11-11 bounce

Pretty much the same:
PS1 Irons
M3 Driver
M4 hybrid and 3
Cleveland wedges I bought off amazon
GoLo 5

pretty much the same….if you take the DeLorean to 88.8 and go back 6 years

Pretty much the same:
PS1 Irons
M3 Driver
M4 hybrid and 3
Cleveland wedges I bought off amazon
GoLo 5

pretty much the same….if you take the DeLorean to 88.8 and go back 6 years
I use 1976 lpga womens woods, very heavy but they are amazing. I get laughed at until they see me hit them. Converted 7 players to ladies 1970s woods

Reactions: Canesian Theory
Yeah, Lounge, I know

Yep, it's legit...

I still have my SIM2 for now, I'm a shaft whore, have spent over 1k in shafts recently... Just switched to the new fuji EVO 7 and it's the best shaft I have had in a long time. Was playing a Ventus black and Tour AD XC prior and the feel on the Evo is ridiculously good.... Can't imagine how good it would feel with the carbon face, just amazing I bet...

I love the new Mizzy pro iron line, great call there man... I had the MMCs and just switched to the 921 tours, but damn I love the look of the new pro line... Keep me posted on how you are liking them bro....

TM P-790 2-Iron

TM P-7MC 3-Iron to PW
- 1 degree strong

- standard loft
- 1 degree flat
- 9-11-11 bounce

My man!!

Bro I love it, have an 8 degree SIM 2 as well, Lowered to 7.25, just kill it... Nice setup as well with everything else bud.... Clean......

Srixon ZX5 4-6 ZX7 7-9 mmt105TS shafts
Cleveland wedges 46, 50, 56 bent to 55, 60 bent to 59. KBS HiRev 125 shafts.
Ping 425 3 hybrid aldila tour blue 85
Ping 425 3wood ventus blue 7s
Srixon ZX7 9.5 tour ad di-7 stiff

Srixon and Mizuno both way underrated irons

Yep, it's legit...

I still have my SIM2 for now, I'm a shaft whore, have spent over 1k in shafts recently... Just switched to the new fuji EVO 7 and it's the best shaft I have had in a long time. Was playing a Ventus black and Tour AD XC prior and the feel on the Evo is ridiculously good.... Can't imagine how good it would feel with the carbon face, just amazing I bet...

I love the new Mizzy pro iron line, great call there man... I had the MMCs and just switched to the 921 tours, but damn I love the look of the new pro line... Keep me posted on how you are liking them bro....
Will do, very excited to play with them. I like the look... kind of look like Muira’s. Hit like them too

Reactions: CANESKINGOFCFB

I play with Clevelands as well, 60/ 52. Would not play anything else.

Mizuno is a great iron for low handicappers. Most guys use game improvement. Rogue x is an excellent iron for mid to high handicap but I own the mizuno pro and i can honestly say they are thr best irons.
I found them to be more forgiving than I thought they would. Definitely not a game improvement stick but not a butter knife either

Reactions: caneluv20

Brad Faxon led the PGA for years in putting and was a Srixon man. Faxon is arguably the best putter in history of the sport and had better putting seasons than even Tiger in the 90s and 2000s. He really started to elevate Srixon company.

Koepka was a “free agent” as to companies and him signing with Srixon was a HUGE game changer for that company. The 4 time major winner will have a huge hand in club development and marketing and him beating Bryson in Vegas on the match was already an early feather in Srixon’s cap. I know very little of the company but they will unquestionably be a better company over the next 3-5 years.

I live just up the road from TPC Sawgrass in Atlantic Beach. TPC is good, but Sawgass CC is better. Hit me up next time you’re up here— my club is Atlantic Beach CC and it’s pretty good. Bunch of PGA pros play at my track.

Yep, it's legit...

Yeah I prefer the Fuji over Ventus. Ventus is fine- To me the Ventus always felt much more of a shaft for older players and higher handicapper players. Fuji makes a good product. I’ve had no issues with Hzrdus and it’s the only brand where I can see consistent results at the 70g shaft weight irrespective of whether I have the Sim 1 or Sim 2

I live just up the road from TPC Sawgrass in Atlantic Beach. TPC is good, but Sawgass CC is better. Hit me up next time you’re up here— my club is Atlantic Beach CC and it’s pretty good. Bunch of PGA pros play at my track.

Will do my man. I compete on a national amateur tour. Championship Flight (there are 6 flights at regular level and senior level). Florida has multiple sections and I’m currently atop of the South Florida section (for now. We have some very talented amateurs competing) with 3 tournament wins early this season.

The amateur tour is a point system so you can compete anywhere in the country any weekend where there is a tournament and earn points depending on how you finish. Championship Fight is straight up stroke play. Other flights have handicaps. Tournaments are typically divided into “local minor” tournaments (1 day), “regional major” (2-3 day) and “national major” (4 day). You earn enough points you get invited to compete in the National Major Championship at the end of the year usually in SoCal or Vegas.

Anyone can join and it’s a great amateur tour to compete for all level golfers.

I had a regional major amateur tournament in Jacksonville 3 weeks ago. Day 1 was Jacksonville Beach Country Club (where I had my practice round on Friday). Shot a steady +6 78 (12 pars and 6 bogies) in cold windy conditions on a course which was setup at a 141 slope. So I felt good and that was good for T-7th Championship Flight after Day 1.

Next Day 2 was TPC Sawgrass Stadium Course. Got absolutely killed. Never played it and was flying completely blind the whole day. Actually was +2 through the first 4 holes and +1 the last 4 holes including a near birdie on 17. But completely got derailed middle 10 holes. It was over seeded for the regular tournament in March and I was hacking left and right. Was set up at a 151 slope and 76.7 rating. Ended up with an abysmal +16 88 but that still good enough for T-14th in the Championship Flight out of 30 and T-48th out of 240 overall. So I learned a lot.

Nobody in the Championship Flight broke 70 at TPC Sawgrass Stadium and only 11 players out of 30 in the Championship Flight broke 80. Was an absolute beast. Would love to play the other one you recommended.

I travel to Pinehurst in March for a regional major tournament and to Bay Hill in May for a regional major with several local minors my in South Florida section in between and several more regional majors at PGA National in WPB over the summer. Plus my Club starts its match-play for the Club Championship in 2 weeks.

All this and a full time law practice. Thank goodness I am a bachelor and work from home. Up at 4:30 AM practicing and working until 10:30 PM every day. Wouldn’t trade it for anything though. Never been happier.

Last edited:
Yeah I prefer the Fuji over Ventus. Ventus is fine- To me the Ventus always felt much more of a shaft for older players and higher handicapper players. Fuji makes a good product. I’ve had no issues with Hzrdus and it’s the only brand where I can see consistent results at the 70g shaft weight irrespective of whether I have the Sim 1 or Sim 2

Yeah man, bought the Hzrdus RDX blue USA version and loved it, but didn't see a huge gain in consistency, and hated that I dropped $300 on it, so sold it and ended up getting the Evo7 for $350 and it may be the best money I have spent on anything golf related in a long time.

I'm extremely tempted to switch to the Stealth plus after seeing Rory absolutely smash it in the new long drive TM video...Damn, so many good options this season... The new Cobra XTD LS is legit also...

Yeah man, bought the Hzrdus RDX blue USA version and loved it, but didn't see a huge gain in consistency, and hated that I dropped $300 on it, so sold it and ended up getting the Evo7 for $350 and it may be the best money I have spent on anything golf related in a long time.

I'm extremely tempted to switch to the Stealth plus after seeing Rory absolutely smash it in the new long drive TM video...Damn, so many good options this season... The new Cobra XTD LS is legit also...

What weight shaft are you with the Evo?

Stealth Plus is good- but Rory also chili dipped his tee shot on 17 wayward in Dubai and then followed that up with a Stealth 3-wood slice in the water on 18 to lose to Hovland by 1. Lol. But it is a great club from all I read and when I hit a few with my swing coach who has one

Will do my man. I compete on a national amateur tour. Championship Flight (there are 6 flights at regular level and senior level). Florida has multiple sections and I’m currently atop of the South Florida section (for now. We have some very talented amateurs competing) with 3 tournament wins early this season.

The amateur tour is a point system so you can compete anywhere in the country any weekend where there is a tournament and earn points depending on how you finish. Championship Fight is straight up stroke play. Other flights have handicaps. Tournaments are typically divided into “local minor” tournaments (1 day), “regional major” (2-3 day) and “national major” (4 day). You earn enough points you get invited to compete in the National Major Championship at the end of the year usually in SoCal or Vegas.

Anyone can join and it’s a great amateur tour to compete for all level golfers.

I had a regional major amateur tournament in Jacksonville 3 weeks ago. Day 1 was Jacksonville Beach Country Club (where I had my practice round on Friday). Shot a steady +6 78 (12 pars and 6 bogies) in cold windy conditions on a course which was setup at a 141 slope. So I felt good and that was good for T-7th Championship Flight after Day 1.

Next Day 2 was TPC Sawgrass Stadium Course. Got absolutely killed. Never played it and was flying completely blind the whole day. Actually was +2 through the first 4 holes and +1 the last 4 holes including a near birdie on 17. But completely got derailed middle 10 holes. It was over seeded for the regular tournament in March and I was hacking left and right. Was set up at a 151 slope and 76.7 rating. Ended up with an abysmal +16 88 but that still good enough for T-14th in the Championship Flight out of 30 and T-48th out of 240 overall. So I learned a lot.

Nobody in the Championship Flight broke 70 at TPC Sawgrass Stadium and only 11 players out of 30 in the Championship Flight broke 80. Was an absolute beast. Would love to play the other one you recommended.

I travel to Pinehurst in March for an amateur major tournament and to Bay Hill in May for an amateur major with several local tournaments in South Florida in between and several more amateur majors at PGA National in WPB over the summer. Plus my Club starts its match-play for the Championship in 2 weeks.

All this and a full time law practice. Thank goodness I am a bachelor and work from home. Up at 4:30 AM practicing and working until 10:30 PM every night. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.
Very nice. I commend your commitment to the game. I carry a 1 index now, which I’m cool with. I grew up in Hialeah and went to HML. Made All Dade golf in 90 and 91, and was grateful to compete in tourneys like Junior Worlds (Torrey Pines), two US Amateurs and one US Publinx in my early years.
I haven’t played FSGA or USGA stuff in a while, but I’ve been thinking about jumping back in.
Seriously, let me know next time you’re up here. ABCC is a fun track and the greens are consistently rolling 12-13. The PGA guys like it because it gets them ready to go out on tour.

Very nice. I commend your commitment to the game. I carry a 1 index now, which I’m cool with. I grew up in Hialeah and went to HML. Made All Dade golf in 90 and 91, and was grateful to compete in tourneys like Junior Worlds (Torrey Pines), two US Amateurs and one US Publinx in my early years.
I haven’t played FSGA or USGA stuff in a while, but I’ve been thinking about jumping back in.
Seriously, let me know next time you’re up here. ABCC is a fun track and the greens are consistently rolling 12-13. The PGA guys like it because it gets them ready to go out on tour.
I grew up playing with Chris Couch, Briny Baird, Chris Allen, and Bobby Tracy— all SoFla legends. All of us wanted to play at UM, but UM cancelled men’s golf in 90.

What weight shaft are you with the Evo?

Stealth Plus is good- but Rory also chili dipped his tee shot on 17 wayward in Dubai and then followed that up with a Stealth 3-wood slice in the water on 18 to lose to Hovland by 1. Lol. But it is a great club from all I read and when I hit a few with my swing coach who has one

I went to the 661 which is 67 grams, a hair lighter than both the Ventus Black 7 and XC7 I had before... What Hzrdus are you in man? Did you go with the Green?

Yep, it's legit...

Do you have a graphite shaft in the mop handle? 😎

I've played Mizuno irons going back to the MP 33s (2001). Went thru 3 sets of those. Then went to the MP 4.

The Srixon 785s two years ago were the first irons good enough to kick Mizuno out of my bag.

And with the driver, all the major companies make great drivers. The key is finding the shaft that proforms best for you.

Reactions: aldune

Very nice my man. You had a rock solid amateur career. Where were the US Amateurs held when you competed? Did you play in the Southern Amateur?

I grew up in the Gables. played golf and tennis then just tennis after middle school. Went to Gulliver. Was all-state in doubles and won a state championship in doubles. Had a pedestrian average junior tennis career in singles as a serve-and-volley player. Was a walk-on at SMU for a few years where our tennis team was top-15 every year and had deeply talented, international players who were clearly a cut above me.

Got back into competitive golf 1 1/2 years ago. Have a swing coach and practice/play full time with a gym/cardio schedule to keep my body fit enough to handle a full season of torque and wear and tear. My GHIN is a .7 right now and I’ve been in between a +1.5 and a 1.5 handicap for most of the last 12 months.

I will definitely keep in touch. Jacksonville and Ponte Vedre have some solid spots east I’d like to play.

Reactions: klbcec
70percent is your swing 20 percent is your shafts and 10 percent are the heads you use. Really good players can hit a variety of drivers and irons well if they have the right shafts fitted for their swing speed and attack angle. Driver heads are limited as to size and coefficient of restitution .Some have bigger sweet spots than others and have weighting that can change ball flight but shafts are bigger determiners of that.
So people are looking for something that gives them better control or swing speed and ball speed. But the variables in that are minimal as to brand because of the restrictions employed.
Invest your money in lessons with an experienced guy who gives you 2 or 3 important cues about your swing. Some of the instructors have good technology but they get way too complex to really improve the average golfer and good ones keep it simple and tailor their swing regarding the student's physical limitations.
Being an geek by heart, I assemble my own clubs and can reshaft them. It has allowed me to understand the importance of shaft fitting and its effects on ball flight accuracy and distance. That is more important than what head you use.

I always hit the SLDR farther than I did the M3. Why is that?

Just finished a fitting and ended up with the Stealth + with an Oban shaft. Thought I’d be in the stealth 3 wood but ended up with a Rogue 3 wood with the Oban

P770s with the X100. Average 7 iron swing speed was 96 mph so felt good with that shaft. Excited for a new driver. My M5 was not getting it done.

if any of you are ever in Utah and want to play and gain 10% off the tee let me know

Just finished a fitting and ended up with the Stealth + with an Oban shaft. Thought I’d be in the stealth 3 wood but ended up with a Rogue 3 wood with the Oban

P770s with the X100. Average 7 iron swing speed was 96 mph so felt good with that shaft. Excited for a new driver. My M5 was not getting it done.

if any of you are ever in Utah and want to play and gain 10% off the tee let me know
Played an Oban shaft for six years. They make great shafts! Just didn't fit with the Sim 2 when I updated my driver early this year.

Reactions: Beatles_1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT