Opening practice thoughts

gferman

SuperCane
Staff
May 29, 2001
The 305/954
www.canesport.com
Here are some thoughts I had tonight while watching practice

QB - Martell Looked the best that he has since arriving at Miami. This is now a legit three-way competition and the coaches are going to have some difficult decisions to make. I don’t think any of them are elite, obviously, but after watching them practice for about three hours tonight, I could not separate them

I can’t predict which way this will go at this point. All three looked good tonight

RB - The practice was passing game heavy, but I thought Robert Burns was moving around better than I have ever seen him since his arrival. Going to be tough for him to find a role,but he did stand out. Tough to judge the RBs before the pads come on

OL - hold your breath

TE - Mallory and Jordan looked very good as expected.

WR - thought Osborne was spectacular. Pooe has some good moments. He will not be invisible this year. There were way too many dropped passes still.

DL - patchan looked spectacular to me and I really think he starts opposite Garvin with Hill and Rousseau in the game on pass rush situations. Hill looks like a man but his conditioning is definitely not where everyone else is just yet

The LBs are the LBs. I will try to focus on the DBs more tomorrow

Special teams - The team spent a lot of time in practice one on all areas of special teams. Now they have the full squad together, it is getting much greater emphasis, which is normal. Coach Diaz and Coach Patke look to be most in charge but all coaches are contributing.

One item of concern was Hedley believe it or not

I would say almost half of his punts were not very good. Several shanks and misfits. Hopefully it was nerves

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News