ADVERTISEMENT

Parkland Perspective from a Survivor

Strack_Cane

SuperCane
May 29, 2001
The cowards of Broward Failed.
The FBI Failed. Sheriff Scott Isreal
Failed. So many different multilayered
levels failed in Parkland. I find it ironic after all this and we’ve seen so many different government failures, we want to trust the government even more.

Kyle Kashuv
Parkland school shooting survivor

Reactions: canam1965
We got some Canes over here.....whoosh, whoosh.

resign-sheriff-israel-rally.jpg

Don't forget @lou97

No doubt the FBI and broward county sheriff's office failed. I've said that before. How about las Vegas? How about aurora? Newtown? Were they the govt's fault as well? We can all pick apart every instance of mass shooting and place blame at something or someone but the only common denominators in all of them was a mentally disturbed person with a gun often an assault rifle. Im going to go out on a limb and say mental illness exists throughout the world but mass shootings seems to be an American problem when you compare us to the rest of the civilized world. What's left to explain this?

Reactions: cems52
No doubt the FBI and broward county sheriff's office failed. I've said that before. How about las Vegas? How about aurora? Newtown? Were they the govt's fault as well? We can all pick apart every instance of mass shooting and place blame at something or someone but the only common denominators in all of them was a mentally disturbed person with a gun often an assault rifle. Im going to go out on a limb and say mental illness exists throughout the world but mass shootings seems to be an American problem when you compare us to the rest of the civilized world. What's left to explain this?

Fred, I would say to you...about Las Vegas...we do not know...because there has been absolutely nothing come from any of the investigative actions. That seems kind of peculiar, no?

I am not picking apart anything. I am stating facts and am just curious. We have lots of folks that want to ban guns, but what then? What happens if it does not work? What if after you have banned them there are more, or there are mass shootings with 3 people who conspire to kill as many people as possible, but it is with hand guns? What if they do it with guns made from 3D printers that a metal detector can not detect. What then, Fred?

I would say that we banned assault rifles and during that time period. What happened during that time period when assault rifles were banned?

What is the end game, though?

Is the end game confiscation of banned weapons?

Thoughts?

My point is, we are on a slippery slope here. Treat the mentally ill. Don’t make people/families ashamed to ask for help. Let’s start there. That can touch this issue and the drug issue. I can wholly support that. No dissent from me there.

Reactions: vivijane
Fred, I would say to you...about Las Vegas...we do not know...because there has been absolutely nothing come from any of the investigative actions. That seems kind of peculiar, no?

I am not picking apart anything. I am stating facts and am just curious. We have lots of folks that want to ban guns, but what then? What happens if it does not work? What if after you have banned them there are more, or there are mass shootings with 3 people who conspire to kill as many people as possible, but it is with hand guns? What if they do it with guns made from 3D printers that a metal detector can not detect. What then, Fred?

I would say that we banned assault rifles and during that time period. What happened during that time period when assault rifles were banned?

What is the end game, though?

Is the end game confiscation of banned weapons?

Thoughts?

My point is, we are on a slippery slope here. Treat the mentally ill. Don’t make people/families ashamed to ask for help. Let’s start there. That can touch this issue and the drug issue. I can wholly support that. No dissent from me there.

As far as Vegas nothing has come out to say any PD or government agency failed in any way. I think it's fair to say we would know by now. We knew about the parkland failures almost immediately.

As far as measures not working I'm not buying that argument because the alternative is to do nothing, which in my opinion and millions of others, is unacceptable. And I think there is good evidence that assault weapons bans do help. During the ban we averaged 1.5 mass shootings per year. Now we average close to 4. Of course we will never eliminate gun violence completely but to argue that we should do nothing because we cannot eliminate every gun violence crime is ludicrous. The fact is it is easier to kill large numbers of people in a short time with an assault weapon than it is without.

As far as treating mentally ill people I'm all for that. But that's a tall order as well. Who pays for it? Pretty sure not a lot of people support the government paying for it. Most insurance policies also don't cover mental health to a significant degree. Another issue is what if mentally ill people don't want treatment? What do we do then? Lock them up?

At the very least we need to find better ways to keep guns out of the hands of unstable people. Almost everyone agrees on that except the gun manufacturers, the NRA, and the politicians that they bought. Its a common sense measure without fully banning any weapons. Thats a reasonable compromise. Why don't they support it? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reactions: cems52
As far as Vegas nothing has come out to say any PD or government agency failed in any way. I think it's fair to say we would know by now. We knew about the parkland failures almost immediately.

As far as measures not working I'm not buying that argument because the alternative is to do nothing, which in my opinion and millions of others, is unacceptable. And I think there is good evidence that assault weapons bans do help. During the ban we averaged 1.5 mass shootings per year. Now we average close to 4. Of course we will never eliminate gun violence completely but to argue that we should do nothing because we cannot eliminate every gun violence crime is ludicrous. The fact is it is easier to kill large numbers of people in a short time with an assault weapon than it is without.

As far as treating mentally ill people I'm all for that. But that's a tall order as well. Who pays for it? Pretty sure not a lot of people support the government paying for it. Most insurance policies also don't cover mental health to a significant degree. Another issue is what if mentally ill people don't want treatment? What do we do then? Lock them up?

At the very least we need to find better ways to keep guns out of the hands of unstable people. Almost everyone agrees on that except the gun manufacturers, the NRA, and the politicians that they bought. Its a common sense measure without fully banning any weapons. Thats a reasonable compromise. Why don't they support it? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ok. What laws would you like to change?

Not talking points, laws.

No one wants gun violence, really, no one.

The cowards of Broward Failed.
The FBI Failed. Sheriff Scott Isreal
Failed. So many different multilayered
levels failed in Parkland. I find it ironic after all this and we’ve seen so many different government failures, we want to trust the government even more.

Kyle Kashuv
Parkland school shooting survivor
Well said and nothing but the truth

Ok. What laws would you like to change?

Not talking points, laws.

No one wants gun violence, really, no one.

Well a good start would be to have the President reverse his executive order that made it easier for mentally ill people to obtain a gun.

Another thing that I've heard that I believe is a decent idea is to have risk scores similar to how we all have credit scores. Things like prior arrests, significant mental health issues could be used to disqualify certain people from obtaining a weapon. I know it wouldn't be a perfect system simply because there is no perfect system but I think that can help reduce the number of mentally ill people getting weapons.

And of course the background checks must be enhanced. That system is broken and not maintained properly from what I understand.

I also think the legal age to purchase should be raised to 21. Of course there could be exemptions for military, law enforcement professionals etc. But your average 18 year old does not need an AR 15 for any reason.

How about you?

Why are the ideas that BSO completely ****ed up and we also need to improve the laws to make our country safer, mutually exclusive?

I don't claim to have all the answers but it seems to be there are a lot of layers to the issue that need to be solved, gun control is one of them, but definitely not the only one.

I love the hypocrisy of some rapper no one has ever heard of performing at this March against guns who was arrested within the last year for driving down the street with a loaded handgun.....even better he was not licesened and the gun was illegal.

Reactions: BreakingCane
I love the hypocrisy of some rapper no one has ever heard of performing at this March against guns who was arrested within the last year for driving down the street with a loaded handgun.....even better he was not licesened and the gun was illegal.
Go figure?

Do what I say not what I do! Walls are racist and anti American, unless they are around my house to protect me from criminals and wackos!

Reactions: e_cushing
NYC has some very strict rules when it comes to carrying a pistol. It is very costly to go through the process. It almost always requires the hiring of an attorney and most people say that if you really want to get your concealed carry it will cost you about $10K and even then there are no guarantees.

Chuck Schumer has a concealed carry permit. Ironic huh?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT