ADVERTISEMENT

TBI deaths

801canesmxer

SuperCane
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2010
TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury, is responsible for the deaths of 50,000 Americans every year. I am writing this to implore everyone to write to their legislators as soon as possible. We need them to understand how important it is that they pass helmet laws immediately. During every waking hour we need to mandate helmet usage. Think of the lives we could save by just this simple act. As an added plus, we could also mandate full face helmets with a visor so it could also take care of any virus problem as well. Talk about killing two birds with one stone. What do you think?

TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury, is responsible for the deaths of 50,000 Americans every year. I am writing this to implore everyone to write to their legislators as soon as possible. We need them to understand how important it is that they pass helmet laws immediately. During every waking hour we need to mandate helmet usage. Think of the lives we could save by just this simple act. As an added plus, we could also mandate full face helmets with a visor so it could also take care of any virus problem as well. Talk about killing two birds with one stone. What do you think?

I know this is sarcasm, but it proves a great point. I ride a motorcycle and always wear a helmet. Do I do it because the government forces me too? No, I do it because I have seen evidence they work.

Side Note: Funniest thing I’ve seen in the past 2 months was a guy on a motorcycle not wearing a helmet but instead wearing a cloth mask. Lol

I know this is sarcasm, but it proves a great point. I ride a motorcycle and always wear a helmet. Do I do it because the government forces me too? No, I do it because I have seen evidence they work.

Side Note: Funniest thing I’ve seen in the past 2 months was a guy on a motorcycle not wearing a helmet but instead wearing a cloth mask. Lol
I don't ride on the street but have raced MX for many years. I always wear my helmet and when my kids were little I told them if I saw them without a helmet, even in the back yard, their motorcycles would be gone the next day. They got my point. Crazy about the guy wearing the cloth mask.

Reactions: IHeagledriver
I'll wait to hear what Fauci has to say.

But what he says tomorrow will be completely different in a month or two. He has more flip flops than Ron Jon's.
At his softball presser today, Biden said he's going to listen to Fauci when he takes Office. He is so wise. BTW, after the 6th or so question he said he had to leave or "he'd be in trouble", whatever that meant. Maybe it was time for a Depends change.

Funny.

I was thinking he had to make a bathroom stop too - he probably sh* t himself over the Fox News guy’s question about has he had himself evaluated by doctors over his brain degeneration - he side stepped the question by saying he can’t wait to debate Trump . What a joke

Reactions: 801canesmxer
At his softball presser today, Biden said he's going to listen to Fauci when he takes Office. He is so wise. BTW, after the 6th or so question he said he had to leave or "he'd be in trouble", whatever that meant. Maybe it was time for a Depends change.
He probably meant that if they got off script then he'd be in trouble. He can only remember so many prepared questions at a time.

I was thinking he had to make a bathroom stop too - he probably sh* t himself over the Fox News guy’s question about has he had himself evaluated by doctors over his brain degeneration - he side stepped the question by saying he can’t wait to debate Trump . What a joke
The debates will be pure comic gold once Quid Pro Joe has to answer real questions.

Lmao now that’s funny. On a side note, I passed a guy in traffic on Monday and he was his car by himself wearing a mask. We happen to stop next to each at a light and yelled over to him & asked why he was wearing mask when nobody else was in the car. He looked at me and rolled up his window lol. This is the level of ignorance we are dealing with. He is going to pass out and kill someone.

Lmao now that’s funny. On a side note, I passed a guy in traffic on Monday and he was his car by himself wearing a mask. We happen to stop next to each at a light and yelled over to him & asked why he was wearing mask when nobody else was in the car. He looked at me and rolled up his window lol. This is the level of ignorance we are dealing with. He is going to pass out and kill someone.
I'm guessing that you have seen some pretty incredible things in your job over the years. i hope the guy made it home without being infected.

I see the same guy pass by my house walking his dog, by himself, between midnight to sometimes around 1am every night wearing a mask. Incredible stupidity. Nobody else on the street.

I would point out the obvious ridiculousness of your analogy - traumatic brain injury isn't spread by having contact with people who have it...but this forum maybe indicates that maybe it is...

Reactions: PHILCANE
I would point out the obvious ridiculousness of your analogy - traumatic brain injury isn't spread by having contact with people who have it...but this forum maybe indicates that maybe it is...
But would it save lives or not? Your key point is that it will stop the spread of the virus when you come in contact with someone that has it. How does requiring a mask for those without the virus stop the spread of it? You can't spread what you don't have.

But would it save lives or not? Your key point is that it will stop the spread of the virus when you come in contact with someone that has it. How does requiring a mask for those without the virus stop the spread of it? You can't spread what you don't have.

Well, as it turns out, a whole lot of people are infected without knowing they're infected.

Try reframing the question - what harm do you suffer by having to wear a mask in public for the next few months?
The next few months, are you kidding? How about we just go about our business like we did in the late 60's with the Hong Kong Flu, which was at least as deadly as COVID. Guess what, we survived just fine. Of course back then we didn't have so many fear mongers among us.

Last edited:
The next few months, are you kidding? How about we just go about our business like we did in the late 60's with the Hong Kong Flu, which was at least as deadly as COVID. Guess what, we survived just fine. Of course back then we didn't have so many fear mongers among us.

First, you did not answer my question at all. It is a simple question- what harm do you suffer from wearing a mask in public for the next few months?

Second, The hong kong flu killed approx. 50,000 americans over 2 years. There were 200 million americans at that time. There are over 300 million Americans today. And medicine is light years more advanced. And yet, Covid has killed over 100k Americans and taken several trillion dollars out of our GDP...in just five months. Seriously man...we need people to get with the program.

First, you did not answer my question at all. It is a simple question- what harm do you suffer from wearing a mask in public for the next few months?

Second, The hong kong flu killed approx. 50,000 americans over 2 years. There were 200 million americans at that time. There are over 300 million Americans today. And medicine is light years more advanced. And yet, Covid has killed over 100k Americans and taken several trillion dollars out of our GDP...in just five months. Seriously man...we need people to get with the program.
According to the CDC there were around 100,000 deaths in the US from the Hong Kong Flu so not sure where you got your info. Sorry but I'm not going to live scared over a virus that will kill less than .5% of those that catch it and 80 to 90% of those will be over 70 and with serious underlying conditions. The only reason it took so much money out of our economy is because of the shutdown that should have never happened. More will die or suffer because of lock downs than the virus will cause. You can go ahead and wear your mask whenever you want to if that's what you choose to do.

Reactions: 4210
According to the CDC there were around 100,000 deaths in the US from the Hong Kong Flu so not sure where you got your info. Sorry but I'm not going to live scared over a virus that will kill less than .5% of those that catch it and 80 to 90% of those will be over 70 and with serious underlying conditions. The only reason it took so much money out of our economy is because of the shutdown that should have never happened. More will die or suffer because of lock downs than the virus will cause. You can go ahead and wear your mask whenever you want to if that's what you choose to do.

Ok! But to be clear you have now twice failed to tell me how wearing a mask in public will harm you so i'm left with the perception that it doesn't actually harm you and you might just be blindly following some politician or talking head.

Ok! But to be clear you have now twice failed to tell me how wearing a mask in public will harm you so i'm left with the perception that it doesn't actually harm you and you might just be blindly following some politician or talking head.
No I'm following 58 years of life experience. Why am I going to answer something that is not going to happen? Again, if you're scared you can wear your mask all you want to, that is your choice. I'm still left with the perception that a person that is not infected can not spread the virus. Is that not true?

^^^still have not identified how wearing a mask harms you. Difficult to distinguish your position from a child throwing a temper tantrum over not being allowed to bring his spidey-man doll to school.

^^^still have not identified how wearing a mask harms you. Difficult to distinguish your position from a child throwing a temper tantrum over not being allowed to bring his spidey-man doll to school.
Awww, now you're gonna hurt my feelings. So the distinguished professor resorts to name calling simply because someone disagrees with them? Nice. I've told you my position on why I won't wear one. It has nothing to do with whether or not it will harm me, but rather the fact that this is going to kill less than .5% of us. I'll take my chances with those odds.

Awww, now you're gonna hurt my feelings. So the distinguished professor resorts to name calling simply because someone disagrees with them? Nice. I've told you my position on why I won't wear one. It has nothing to do with whether or not it will harm me, but rather the fact that this is going to kill less than .5% of us. I'll take my chances with those odds.

I'm calling it for what it is: an irrational temper tantrum. You even admit "it has nothing to do with whether or not it will harm me" which is by definition, an irrational decision. Rational decision making weighs the costs and benefits, whereas you're stubbornly insisting on looking only at the benefits as you see them.

Reactions: zackbear
I'm calling it for what it is: an irrational temper tantrum. You even admit "it has nothing to do with whether or not it will harm me" which is by definition, an irrational decision. Rational decision making weighs the costs and benefits, whereas you're stubbornly insisting on looking only at the benefits as you see them.
No I made a rational decision based on the risk factor and have decided I'll take my chances, like a grown up. Save your psychoanalysis for your students, they might be young enough to buy your BS.

No I made a rational decision based on the risk factor and have decided I'll take my chances, like a grown up. Save your psychoanalysis for your students, they might be young enough to buy your BS.

The masks are to protect others, not you. So "I'll take my chances" is not rational. Look i'm done sugarcoating this, here is the reality: All of the government experts say we should be wearing masks. There is widespread agreement about wearing masks within our politicians, even the most stubborn of them Donald Trump is now saying wearing them is a good thing. By not wearing a mask in public you are putting people in your community at risk of illness and death. Frankly it is not your place to decide what risk is acceptable for your community. Anyone who still refuses to wear a mask in public in spite of all that is either profoundly stupid or just a total asshole.

The masks are to protect others, not you. So "I'll take my chances" is not rational. Look i'm done sugarcoating this, here is the reality: All of the government experts say we should be wearing masks. There is widespread agreement about wearing masks within our politicians, even the most stubborn of them Donald Trump is now saying wearing them is a good thing. By not wearing a mask in public you are putting people in your community at risk of illness and death. Frankly it is not your place to decide what risk is acceptable for your community. Anyone who still refuses to wear a mask in public in spite of all that is either profoundly stupid or just a total asshole.
Waaah, you sound triggered. Poor little professor boy resorts to name calling again. How about those less than .5% not be so selfish and stay home so the rest of us that will survive this just fine can lead our lives and not destroy our economy?

Reactions: 816_Cane
I really can't respond in any other way but name calling to someone as incoherent as you. You are now arguing that wearing a mask will destroy our economy and so the correct choice is to not wear masks and **** the elderly population they can spend their last remaining years locked away.

I really can't respond in any other way but name calling to someone as incoherent as you. You are now arguing that wearing a mask will destroy our economy and so the correct choice is to not wear masks and **** the elderly population they can spend their last remaining years locked away.
You can't respond in any other way because you're a triggered little professor that can't stand when someone disagrees with you. Do you wear a mask during flu season to protect those that are vulnerable to that contagious virus from dying or are you a hypocrite. Think of the lives we could save from the flu by just wearing a mask during flu season, or are their lives not as important to you? You must hate all of those that die from the flu each year.

Last edited:
Reactions: GLFSTRM
You can't respond in any other way because you're a triggered little professor that can't stand when someone disagrees with them. Do you wear a mask during flu season to protect those that are vulnerable to that contagious virus from dying or are you a hypocrite. Think of the lives we could save from the flu by just wearing a mask during flu season, or are their lives not as important to you? You must hate all of those that die from the flu each year.

He probably drives a car as well which results in 40k deaths per year. Has more than likely travelled above the posted speed limit which increases chance of fatality by 10%. And hopefully not, but has probably even driven under the influence of alcohol when even one drink can impair response times and judgement making it more dangerous for others on the road. Staying with the driving theme has probably texted and drive as well. All things that had a chance of hurting and even killing an innocent person.

He probably drives a car as well which results in 40k deaths per year. Has more than likely travelled above the posted speed limit which increases chance of fatality by 10%. And hopefully not, but has probably even driven under the influence of alcohol when even one drink can impair response times and judgement making it more dangerous for others on the road.
Life is full of risks and living in fear is no way to live your life.

The widespread ability of people to drive a car produces extreme and almost incalculable economic and public health benefits. The benefits are in fact so high that there is simply no argument that the harm caused when accidents happen outweighs those benefits. And in fact no one ever argues that driving cars should be stopped because of how clear the net benefit to society is. On the complete and polar opposite side of driving cars, is refusing to wear a mask in public, which produces NO BENEFIT OF ANY KIND.

The widespread ability of people to drive a car produces extreme and almost incalculable economic and public health benefits. The benefits are in fact so high that there is simply no argument that the harm caused when accidents happen outweighs those benefits. And in fact no one ever argues that driving cars should be stopped because of how clear the net benefit to society is. On the complete and polar opposite side of driving cars, is refusing to wear a mask in public, which produces NO BENEFIT OF ANY KIND.
What about the flu? Would it be a BENEFIT OF ANY KIND to require masks during flu season? Do you like how I capitalized the letters for emphasis? You do know that the students that you will be teaching are far , far more likely to die from the flu than COVID, right, so again, why are you not protecting your students by wearing a mask during flu season? You obviously don't care much about the health of your students with that kind of selfish attitude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT