ADVERTISEMENT

The Fundamental Issue at The U

rkrantz

SuperCane
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2009
Plantation, FL
While responding to another post earlier I came upon a thought I felt deserved it's own thread. I feel like most of us arent looking deep enough as to what the real problem is here. I have a few lines of thought for my logic here, but ultimately, I feel we arent looking to place the blame high enough on the ladder.

*FULL DISCLOSURE* - This could sound a bit "conspiracy theory-ish"... and while I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories... I do try to pay attention to facts and history, which often uncovers the truth of an issue. So read if you like... or dont.

There is a fundamental issue with The University of Miami that has been in existence since Donna Shalala took over as President in 2001. A once proud and dominant football program does not remain in the dumpster for 20 years unless they had severe sanctions imposed on them or their administration has failed or abandoned them. Hell, even low to mid-tier programs like USF, UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, Temple, West-by-God-Virginia, Washington State, etc. have had good to great seasons every once in a while over the past 20 years. Might have only been 1 or 2 great seasons for them... but it happened. HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN THERE... and not happen again HERE?

The University of Miami should have accidentally been able to win another National Championship at some point in the last 20 years with the amount of talent that has been on this squad over the years. You just can't be this bad of a program unless you havent been set up to be successful.

Everyone says changes have to start at the top... some think that's Manny, many believe that is Blake. I think some of the issues extend even higher up than that. There is a MAJOR major issue with the administration of this University and the lack of commitment to the athletic department in general. Sure, last year we finally got an IPF and upgrades to the dorms and athletic buildings and all that. LAST YEAR. 2018-2019. It took more than 15 years to convince the Admin to put some money into the Athletic Department... and a HUGE chunk of that came from a single donation to the actual project itself along with other smaller donations... very little if any funding came from the school's budget or reserves.

Miami Hurricane FOOTBALL made The University of Miami what it is today. The successful, proud and highly regarded University and academic program was built (arguably) almost ENTIRELY on the success of the football teams in the 80's and 90's and early 2000's. The bad boys of college football paved the way for the academic success and growth over the last 30 years. Its been well documented that applications and interest in The University of Miami spiked big time during those years when the football team was making headlines... whether it was good or bad. The University was very VERY popular.

Fast forward 20 years... and now it seems like the University itself, the BOT, Admin and everyone outside of the Athletic Department has forgotten all about (or turned their backs on) what actually helped build the popularity and success of the University. And it's not like its only been a few lousy seasons... its been consistently lousy for a while. Seems like if someone up the ladder had taken notice and CARED about this issue... something would have been done to alleviate it. Don't you think?

We cannot blame THIS coaching staff for the current failuers. We have blamed EVERY coaching staff since 2005. Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt... all couldnt bring Miami back to what it once was... and here comes the burn... I think those with the real power are perfectly fine with the product Miami Football is putting on the field. How could we not have gotten lucky more than 1 time in the last 20 years?!? How could those low to mid-tier teams be doing it better? How could they have had the right coaches and players... and we haven't?

This to me is the REAL concern here. Maybe it isnt Blake or Manny or the coaching staff or recruits that deserve the blame. We are all so fixated on these people and things because thats what we are focusing on... which is the same trick politicians play on us. They need to keep our attention FIXATED on something else so nobody sees the crooked, self-serving agenda they have going for themselves. It's a slight-of-hand trick, and they've been playing it on us for two decades now.

You want to blame someone or something... look a little bit higher up than Manny, and Blake James. They've only been here for a short while. Question who put those 2 in their positions? Who has been here calling the shots for the last 20 years that has allowed the status quo of mediocrity to remain? Who seems to be perfectly content with their decisions and the status quo?

When you find that out... you have your answer as to who is to blame. And fixing this issue may be too tall a task for "The Noise" unfortunately.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News