ADVERTISEMENT

USA now just 12% of computer chips produced. We learned NOTHING from Covid.

HJCane

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2007
1990 we produced 37% of the chips produced now just 12% and by 2030 China will be the major player. As of now 75% of chips come from Asia as a whole including Japan etc.

When the pandemic struck I am pretty sure we were all STUNNED to learn that PPE products were nearly all China and I know we were SHOCKED to learn that 75% of the items needed to make antibiotics came from China. I don't think that has changed as dangerous as those items are. Now we find out about computer chips and our lack of production here at home.

Computer chips FUEL every single item in the world today and tomorrow and our dependence on China is very dangerous. Irresponsible really. Of the 12% the bulk of that production is Intel corporation.

We had BETTER GET SMART in this country and it better happen fast.

“It's a national security risk if we don't start producing more semiconductors in America,” Gina Raimondo, the US secretary of commerce, said Tuesday at an event in Washington, DC.

Speaking at the Global Emerging Technology Summit, sponsored by the National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence, Raimondo said the overall market share tells only part of the story. “Another statistic, which I personally think is more alarming, [is that] zero percent of leading-edge chips are made in America right now,” she told an audience of policymakers and executives.

We learned and Trump was trying to reverse not just this but prescription drug production, but the elections happened and it was full speed ahead to inevitable disaster. The drug companies and other democrat allies got paid.

We learned and Trump was trying to reverse not just this but prescription drug production, but the elections happened and it was full speed ahead to inevitable disaster. The drug companies and other democrat allies got paid.
And since 2020, NOTHING, NADA, BUPKUS, ZILCH>

Reactions: grbcane
We rely almost entirely on Taiwan for chips
Taiwan is going to be taken as a part of China . Guaranteed
There are only 32 million or so people in Taiwan
There are 1.5 billion people in the PRC.
It’s inevitable. There is nothing we can do to stop that .
What we can do is to lessen the effect of a takeover by eliminating the dependence on Taiwan for chips , the life blood of today’s economy.
We should enact legislation that provides huge benefits for private investment in chip production
I’m talking about unleashing full out capitalism , including no taxes , no regulations, no unions
Radical stuff .
We can’t rely on Taiwan as it will cease to exist as an independent country eventually

1990 we produced 37% of the chips produced now just 12% and by 2030 China will be the major player. As of now 75% of chips come from Asia as a whole including Japan etc.

When the pandemic struck I am pretty sure we were all STUNNED to learn that PPE products were nearly all China and I know we were SHOCKED to learn that 75% of the items needed to make antibiotics came from China. I don't think that has changed as dangerous as those items are. Now we find out about computer chips and our lack of production here at home.

Computer chips FUEL every single item in the world today and tomorrow and our dependence on China is very dangerous. Irresponsible really. Of the 12% the bulk of that production is Intel corporation.

We had BETTER GET SMART in this country and it better happen fast.
Nah! what we need is more windmills

In all seriousness, Brandon and the media talk tough about how sanctions are going to devestate Russia's economy. China has already said that it will buy Russian energy, raw materials and foodstuffs. Brandon warned China of weally wuff sanctions. Think about what China could do with sanctions to the US and a blockade of Japan, Korea and Taiwan. 90% of chips gone would shut down most US industry. Many pharmacueticals that come from the Orient - gone. So many other critical products or components sourced from China or areas within its hegemony - gone. Bringing vital industry back to the US was what Trump meant by "America First". The demi's and media went wild with cries of Zenophobia. What does the US provide to China that would cripple their economy if we withheld it? Xi has some serious cards he can play.

In all seriousness, Brandon and the media talk tough about how sanctions are going to devestate Russia's economy. China has already said that it will buy Russian energy, raw materials and foodstuffs. Brandon warned China of weally wuff sanctions. Think about what China could do with sanctions to the US and a blockade of Japan, Korea and Taiwan. 90% of chips gone would shut down most US industry. Many pharmacueticals that come from the Orient - gone. So many other critical products or components sourced from China or areas within its hegemony - gone. Bringing vital industry back to the US was what Trump meant by "America First". The demi's and media went wild with cries of Zenophobia. What does the US provide to China that would cripple their economy if we withheld it? Xi has some serious cards he can play.
We have one chip to hang over China's head. They hold over $1 trillion of our debt. If they screw us, which I wholly expect from them, we can cancel or suspend, though I seriously doubt Biden has the balls for such an action. The other thing about China is they are very dependent on the US market to move most of the things they make; think Walmart and Target

Reactions: central17
This is another thing Trump had right no matter what the left-wing dopes on this site think. An integral component of his America First strategy was manufacturing many of our necessities here and putting tariffs on Chinese equivalents to make America-made products competitive. Really made sense but in their zeal to cancel everything Trump, no one considered the consequences. It's hard to believe that China gave us Covid that killed nearly a million Americans and we had to buy our masks and PPP from them

Reactions: central17
We have one chip to hang over China's head. They hold over $1 trillion of our debt. If they screw us, which I wholly expect from them, we can cancel or suspend, though I seriously doubt Biden has the balls for such an action. The other thing about China is they are very dependent on the US market to move most of the things they make; think Walmart and Target
Yes both sides can hurt each other, but if I'm playing poker, a hand of shut off your electronics and medicine is a stronger than won't buy your cheap dinette sets and pool toys.

Yes both sides can hurt each other, but if I'm playing poker, a hand of shut off your electronics and medicine is a stronger than won't buy your cheap dinette sets and pool toys.
China makes much more than cheap stuff
They make many things that we absolutely need and rely upon
And the thought of reneging on the US debt they hold is unthinkable
The debt is negotiable, meaning that they could sell it at a market value.
It would cause a world wide economic meltdown
The China economy is a juggernaut, growing each day.
We need to outcompete them , not out sanction them .

In his defense, Brandon knows a thing or two about devastating economies.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. They can hurt us far more by not providing products we NEED, than we can hurt them by not buying the cheap stuff they sell. The US sells China relatively little which is the nature of the problem.

I've heard the argument that cancelling our debt would cause a worldwide economic meltdown and I personally don't buy it. After WWII, Russia owed the US about $1.5 billion, much of it borrowed. Under Putin, the US settled for a fraction; I think about $50 million. So essentially Russia defaulted on a trillion and a half. Certainly the political landscape has changed but I didn't see any ww meltdown. Holding that over China's head is a real lever but it would take a strong leader to pull it off.

I've heard the argument that cancelling our debt would cause a worldwide economic meltdown and I personally don't buy it. After WWII, Russia owed the US about $1.5 billion, much of it borrowed. Under Putin, the US settled for a fraction; I think about $50 million. So essentially Russia defaulted on a trillion and a half. Certainly the political landscape has changed but I didn't see any ww meltdown. Holding that over China's head is a real lever but it would take a strong leader to pull it off.
Don’t know about the Russian debt , I assume that it wasn’t freely negotiable debt , purchased on the open market, issued by the USA and guaranteed by the full faith and credit of the US
The amount of US debt China holds is a bigger problem for us than it is for them.
Any default would result in the instant downgrading of our debt . T Bills would go from 2.1 % to semi junk. Don’t know if it’s even physically possible to identify who actually is the owner of the debt and whether it acts as some collateral for another loan. Even the threat of a default would cause the Chinese to stop renewing any revolving debt facility. We are a debtor nation , the national debt is financed . The Chinese hold much of the paper. Also any default would result in the instant confiscation of American assets in China.

They also control markets
Sanctions would double the price of many goods, I wasn’t criticizing Central, but they supply virtually all our solar panels , a good chunk of our steel , much of the chips , and God knows what else . We sell insurance and annuities to each other . They build things . Cheap.

Don’t know about the Russian debt , I assume that it wasn’t freely negotiable debt , purchased on the open market, issued by the USA and guaranteed by the full faith and credit of the US
The amount of US debt China holds is a bigger problem for us than it is for them.
Any default would result in the instant downgrading of our debt . T Bills would go from 2.1 % to semi junk. Don’t know if it’s even physically possible to identify who actually is the owner of the debt and whether it acts as some collateral for another loan. Even the threat of a default would cause the Chinese to stop renewing any revolving debt facility. We are a debtor nation , the national debt is financed . The Chinese hold much of the paper. Also any default would result in the instant confiscation of American assets in China.

They also control markets
Sanctions would double the price of many goods, I wasn’t criticizing Central, but they supply virtually all our solar panels , a good chunk of our steel , much of the chips , and God knows what else . We sell insurance and annuities to each other . They build things . Cheap.
Thanks for the explanation. International finance is not my forte

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT