ADVERTISEMENT

VERY STRONG First Impression Of Julio Frenk After Listening To Him Speak...

advarkas

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
Hometown: Coral Gables; Currently: Downtown FTL
I echo a lot of what most people have said regarding the new University President...

Three things came to mind:
(1) Academics- this man will likely have a TREMENDOUS impact on the academics of the University... Obviously his specialty and history is in medicine, but as Gary and others have illustrated, he definitely a "big picture" guy. Understands how good the MBA Program is, the Law School, and Marine/Environmental Programs... I would not be surprised to see Miami continue to be the best academic institution in Florida ahead of the Gators, and even a top-40/top-35 academic institution in the COUNTRY...

(2) Personality- Frenk comes across as someone who is charismatic and charming. Someone who will relate well with the Latin community in South Florida and the Hurricane community as a whole. He seems to have an easy going personality but is determinative and focused on the tasks at hand.

(3) Macro Thinking- as I indicated above, I think that Frenk is a "big picture" guy... Gary mentioned this in his thread, and I share that opinion too. Frenk is an intelligent man with a tremendous amount of experience. I presume he has big plans to continue the overall improvement of the University form top to bottom. As far as this relates to FOOTBALL, I think that he vest a lot of power in the people in the athletic department. Frenk is not a "college football guy" and not really a sports guy, per se... HOWEVER, he DOES understand that academics and athletics ARE INTERTWINED and BENEFIT EACH OTHER... He understands that what is good for athletics is good for academic and vice-versa. I was quite impressed and frankly relieved to hear his candid comments. As Gary said, he is not a "sports guy" per se, and it is likely he is going to give a lot of power to the AD and others in the athletic department. So, it appears as though Blake James will have more of his hands on the hiring and firing aspects...

Overall, I think we can take a DEEP BREATH for now, feel GOOD about Dr. Julio Frenk as the new University President, and simply wait and see how things develop moving forward. I like what he had to say, and hopefully is ACTIONS will back up his words- no reason at this point in time to think that they won't... So, a good POSITIVE start to a new regime!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News