ADVERTISEMENT

When did the Parties Switch on Civil Rights?

grbcane

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2003

Reactions: central17
I was waiting for the article to go off the rails and it didn't disappoint.

I don't think anyone cares about what the parties believed in the 1800s or even in the first half of the 1900s.

I was waiting for the article to go off the rails and it didn't disappoint.

I don't think anyone cares about what the parties believed in the 1800s or even in the first half of the 1900s.
I know truth and common sense are going off the rails for a leftist.

The late sixties and early seventies aren’t that far off in a historical context, and it helps explain where we are today.

Reactions: krvanness
I know truth and common sense are going off the rails for a leftist.

The late sixties and early seventies aren’t that far off in a historical context, and it helps explain where we are today.

Posting fringe right wing blogs isn’t exactly an example of “truth and common sense”. Post some material that is accepted across the political spectrum then let’s discuss.

In the late 60s and early 70s the three most racist governors were George Wallace, Alabama, JB Williams Mississippi and Lestor Maddox Georgia. All three were democrats though Wallace ran for president as an independent.

Reactions: grbcane
That must be why Biden kept referring to him 😁. He was callin his own party out. Not too hypocritical

Posting fringe right wing blogs isn’t exactly an example of “truth and common sense”. Post some material that is accepted across the political spectrum then let’s discuss.
That’s just too easy.

Anything anyone posts that contradicts whatever stance your defending is “ fringe Rt wing” .
hey why not challenge the article with your stance . Enlighten us one time.
But here I post something that’s accepted across the political spectrum
Biden’s approval rating is around 40% so across the political spectrum simple math says he sucks.

How have the so called Civil rights efforts in the last 30 years improved the lot of marginalized people? All the Al Sharpton’s and BLM folks have done is enrich themselves.
Meanwhile genocide is occurring in the black community via abortion, where the rate is 3 times other groups
The black inner cities are hell holes rampant with crime , where nuclear families are a exception not the rule. Schools are a joke , kids can’t read
So yeah the democrats have taken the lead in civil rights actions superficially . But it’s been a colossal abject failure
Nothing more than the soft bigotry of low expectations.
So now that the liberals have failed in their efforts on racial rights , they look to other groups who they can designate as oppressed. The latest fad ? transsexuals . It’s not only become a favored victim group, people appear to be proselytizing as to its greatness.

Reactions: ZEKEMUG
Like what facts? Civil Rights has always been the Republicans and opposed by many Democrats including Biden. All major legislation relating to Civil Rights as they are reflected still today were brought about by Republicans.

In an era when there were many factional divisions within both political parties, the biggest headaches for Democratic leader Mike Mansfield often came not from Republicans but from the conservative bloc of his own party caucus. The filibuster that threatened to derail the civil rights bill in 1964 was not led by the opposition party, but by an opposing faction within the majority party. To invoke cloture on the civil rights bill, Democratic proponents of the bill needed strong Republican support. If the bipartisan team could gain the support of Dirksen, a small-government conservative from Illinois, they might win over other conservatives.

Who passed the Civil Rights Act of 1866?

Congress

On this date, the House overrode President Andrew Johnson's veto of the Civil Rights Bill of 1866 with near unanimous Republican support, 122 to 41, marking the first time Congress legislated upon civil rights.

1964 Civil Rights Bill
80% of Republicans in the House and Senate voted for the bill. Less than 70% of Democrats did. Indeed, Minority Leader Republican Everett Dirksen led the fight to end the filibuster. Meanwhile, Democrats such as Richard Russell of Georgia and Strom Thurmond of South Carolina tried as hard as they could to sustain a filibuster.

I know you libs will try to re-write history but the fact remains ALL major Civil Rights Bills in America were brought about by Republicans.

Joe Biden once called state-mandated school integration “the most racist concept you can come up with,” and Barack Obama “the first sort of mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean.” He was a staunch opponent of “forced busing” in the 1970s, and leading crusader for mass incarceration throughout the ‘80s and ‘90s. Uncle Joe has described African-American felons as “predators” too sociopathic to rehabilitate — and white supremacist senators as his friends.

And, as of this writing, a plurality of black Democrats want him to be their party’s 2020 nominee.

Once in the Senate, Biden continued to triangulate, voting for most, though not all, f the anti-busing amendments that came before him. But for his overwhelmingly white constituents, nothing less than massive resistance to busing would suffice. The New Castle County Neighborhood Schools Association booed Biden off the stage at one event in 1974. One year later, the Delaware senator broke ranks with northern liberals— and joined his virulently racist North Carolina colleague Jesse Helms in voting to kneecap all federal efforts to integrate schools, anywhere in the country. Specifically, Biden voted to bar the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare from requiring schools to provide information on the racial makeup of their student bodies — thereby making it nigh-impossible for Uncle Sam to withhold federal funds from school districts that refused to integrate.

Immediately after the Helms amendment was tabled, Biden proposed his own amendment to the $36 billion education bill, stipulating that none of those federal funds could be used by school systems “to assign teachers or students to schools … for reasons of race.” His amendment would prevent “some faceless bureaucrat” from “deciding that any child, black or white, should fit in some predetermined ratio.”

… Like the Helms gambit, [Biden’s provision] would still gut Title VI of the Civil Rights Act. But this time, a number of liberal senators that had opposed Helms’s amendment now supported Biden:

Like what facts? Civil Rights has always been the Republicans and opposed by many Democrats including Biden. All major legislation relating to Civil Rights as they are reflected still today were brought about by Republicans.

In an era when there were many factional divisions within both political parties, the biggest headaches for Democratic leader Mike Mansfield often came not from Republicans but from the conservative bloc of his own party caucus. The filibuster that threatened to derail the civil rights bill in 1964 was not led by the opposition party, but by an opposing faction within the majority party. To invoke cloture on the civil rights bill, Democratic proponents of the bill needed strong Republican support. If the bipartisan team could gain the support of Dirksen, a small-government conservative from Illinois, they might win over other conservatives.

Who passed the Civil Rights Act of 1866?

Congress

On this date, the House overrode President Andrew Johnson's veto of the Civil Rights Bill of 1866 with near unanimous Republican support, 122 to 41, marking the first time Congress legislated upon civil rights.

1964 Civil Rights Bill
80% of Republicans in the House and Senate voted for the bill. Less than 70% of Democrats did. Indeed, Minority Leader Republican Everett Dirksen led the fight to end the filibuster. Meanwhile, Democrats such as Richard Russell of Georgia and Strom Thurmond of South Carolina tried as hard as they could to sustain a filibuster.

I know you libs will try to re-write history but the fact remains ALL major Civil Rights Bills in America were brought about by Republicans.

All of this is ancient history that transpired well before the parties swapped their policies on race. If you're interested in who is stronger on civil rights then look no further than which party people actually vote for in the present to advance the rights of minorities. The Republican party is largely a white only party, which should tell you everything you need to know about what American voters of the present think about their commitment to civil rights.

As you can see below, the Repubclian party is lagging badly in bringing non-whites into the fold and has instead focused on radicalizing a shrinking base of white voters into grievance politics about fearing a time a time in the not too distant future when whites and European culture are in the minority. This is what allows charlatan demagogues like Trump, Bannon, Marjorie-Taylor Green, Lauran Boebert to seize control and further estrange the party from becoming more diverse.

PP_2020.06.02_party-id_2-02.png

Last edited:
All of this is ancient history that transpired well before the parties swapped their policies on race. If you're interested in who is stronger on civil rights then look no further than which party people actually vote for in the present to advance the rights of minorities. The Republican party is largely a white only party, which should tell you everything you need to know about what American voters of the present think about their commitment to civil rights.

As you can see below, the Repubclian party is lagging badly in bringing non-whites into the fold and has instead focused on radicalizing a shrinking base of white voters into grievance politics about fearing a time a time in the not too distant future when whites and European culture are in the minority. This is what allows charlatan demagogues like Trump, Bannon, Marjorie-Taylor Green, Lauran Boebert to seize control and further estrange the party from becoming more diverse.

PP_2020.06.02_party-id_2-02.png
Old statistics and they've been duped for decades. In addition where the Democrats used to be the friend of blue collar workers roles have reversed due to piss poor policies that harmed the US workers. Now the Dems are in bed with high tech silicon valley billionaires. Say I'm wrong.

Reactions: grbcane
Old statistics and they've been duped for decades. In addition where the Democrats used to be the friend of blue collar workers roles have reversed due to piss poor policies that harmed the US workers. Now the Dems are in bed with high tech silicon valley billionaires. Say I'm wrong.

Ahh yes. The age old Republican response that blacks have been “duped” into voting for Dems - as in, “they’re not smart enough to decide who they should vote for”. No wonder Republicans are struggling to get minority votes.

Reactions: zackbear
Ahh yes. The age old Republican response that blacks have been “duped” into voting for Dems - as in, “they’re not smart enough to decide who they should vote for”. No wonder Republicans are struggling to get minority votes.
Actually, people of color have been duped by democratic polices full of unfulfilled promises. Has nothing to do with their being smart and I'm not s republican. As long as Trump isn't the next nominee, I fully expect the republican percentage of people of color who vote republican to increase dramatically. These people know when they've been had

Actually, people of color have been duped by democratic polices full of unfulfilled promises. Has nothing to do with their being smart and I'm not s republican. As long as Trump isn't the next nominee, I fully expect the republican percentage of people of color who vote republican to increase dramatically. These people know when they've been had
Trump increased the vote from people of color.

Reactions: MR231

Not the case. The Republicans have merely failed to deliver for all Americans and are little more than a party for wealthy elites and the preservation of white identity grievance. This is why their electorate is so lacking in diversity, at a time when the whites are a shrinking voter demographic. Its also why the party has pivoted to fear of immigrants, voter disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, and if all else fails, violently attacking the Capitol to physically prevent the lawful transfer of power. No sane minority group is going to vote for the hot mess the GOP have devolved into, because they correctly understand what the party stands for.

Not the case. The Republicans have merely failed to deliver for all Americans and are little more than a party for wealthy elites and the preservation of white identity grievance. This is why their electorate is so lacking in diversity, at a time when the whites are a shrinking voter demographic. Its also why the party has pivoted to fear of immigrants, voter disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, and if all else fails, violently attacking the Capitol to physically prevent the lawful transfer of power. No sane minority group is going to vote for the hot mess the GOP have devolved into, because they correctly understand what the party stands for.
Speechless…now I know how you become mayor of upside down world?

Duped by democrats?
No
Betrayed. See my prior post
Totally manipulated
Despite the prevalence of democrats on large urban cities , the standard of living is close to third world
Opportunity for social advancement- dim
Whereas the race hustlers cry racism as the cause , other minority groups, including African immigrants are thriving .
They promulgate strategies which perpetuate the disparity income , wealth and the cause of the disparity- education.
Democrats have failed to advance Civil Rights
Trump was no bigot . Never was one
His only relevant color ? Green , as in $$

Reactions: MR231
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT