ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ rates American colleges

It’s not the US News & World Report rankings. But, each year the Wall St Journal ranks American colleges, large and small, private and public.

Miami ranks a respectable #49
U Florida is ranked #54
FSU comes in at #173
I wish I didn't have to subscribe to see the full report.

I wish I didn't have to subscribe to see the full report.
You can just buy today’s issue at a newsstand. The rankings are in their own special section. If you are interested in a particular college, let me know. I’ll look it up.

FYI, # 1, 2 and 3 are Harvard, Stanford and MIT.

Reactions: krvanness
That should just tell you that these rankings are B.S. Liberal Political troll influence.
Not really because they are based on hard numbers acceptance rates and endowments. I realize you are eager to make everything political and divisive but these are just facts.

Reactions: cems52
Not really because they are based on hard numbers acceptance rates and endowments. I realize you are eager to make everything political and divisive but these are just facts.
Spin the failure of the Athletic Department as time went on during her tenure. No spin!

Spin the failure of the Athletic Department as time went on during her tenure. No spin!
I never said anything about the Athletic department. I have have said here many times Donna was the blame as well as Kirby Hulcott. I am not defending her on that at all so I don't know what you are talking about. I agree...but that has nothing to do with what she has done for the University overall.

You can just buy today’s issue at a newsstand. The rankings are in their own special section. If you are interested in a particular college, let me know. I’ll look it up.

FYI, # 1, 2 and 3 are Harvard, Stanford and MIT.
Thanks cortez. Do newsstands still exist? lol...

Thanks cortez. Do newsstands still exist? lol...
LOL. Not many. If there’s a decent bookstore in your vicinity, they might carry the WSJ.

I'm more than happy to look up a couple of colleges for you. Just let me know. ex. UCF is ranked at #297. Yikes!

Most people use US News to make their judgments not WSJ.- not saying that's justified but that's the way it is IMO. The two ranking systems must be using very different criteria..WSJ has Cal Berkeley tied for 36 with Carlton College. I don't see how you can compare a tiny liberal arts college like Williams with a large research university like UCLA in the same survey. JMO.

Reactions: 6882
It’s not the US News & World Report rankings. But, each year the Wall St Journal ranks American colleges, large and small, private and public.

Miami ranks a respectable #49
U Florida is ranked #54
FSU comes in at #173
Not sure how OTHER surveys are based .. what criteria they use in their evaluations .. but the WSJ survey was based on "Salaries 10 years after graduation". Using salaries as the only criteria would certainly have an impact with many Ivy League and "Investment Banking" type universities .. automatically being top, while universities that have broad agricultural curriculums .. with students getting degrees in Ag Management, Soil Science, etc., would have comparatively lower salaries .. not necessarily 'lower level education".

Reactions: 6882
Not sure how OTHER surveys are based .. what criteria they use in their evaluations .. but the WSJ survey was based on "Salaries 10 years after graduation". Using salaries as the only criteria would certainly have an impact with many Ivy League and "Investment Banking" type universities .. automatically being top, while universities that have broad agricultural curriculums .. with students getting degrees in Ag Management, Soil Science, etc., would have comparatively lower salaries .. not necessarily 'lower level education".
get your point. But, it’s a bit more complex.

The WSJ considers 15 factors across 4 main categories when in ranks schools:

40% student outcomes (your point)
30% academic resources
20% student engagement
10% learning environment

Most interesting to me is how the schools evolve, for better or worse, over the years. The WSJ report allows you to go back several years to track this evolution.

How do they compare the academic resources of Williams College and Cal Berkeley? Student engagement and learning environment seem highly subjective.

Auburn ranks #284
UGA ranks #143
That is so interesting. Auburn is about an hour and change south of me on I-85 so a lot of folks around here are either alumni or sending their kids there. You'd think it was the Harvard of the South to hear folks go on about it...

get your point. But, it’s a bit more complex.

The WSJ considers 15 factors across 4 main categories when in ranks schools:

40% student outcomes (your point)
30% academic resources
20% student engagement
10% learning environment

Most interesting to me is how the schools evolve, for better or worse, over the years. The WSJ report allows you to go back several years to track this evolution.redtube.com
That is so interesting. Auburn is about an hour and change south of me on I-85 so a lot of folks around here are either alumni or sending their kids there. You'd think it was the Harvard of the South to hear folks go on about it...
Agree with you. By the way, Clemson is #182.

Agree with you. By the way, Clemson is #182.
KRV, If your buddies‘ children want to stay in the south for a top academic college, have them check out:

Duke at #5
Vanderbilt at #14
University of North Carolina at #33

Impressive group of schools.

Top three are obvious. Who would you have ranked higher?
Trump University!
Let the heads explode
giphy.gif

Reactions: utatem
When my son matriculated UM was #37 and people were talking about crashing top 30. It's been backwards since then.
I agree with you NoShore.

In my youth long ago, schools ranked in the 30s and 40s inclusded USC, Notre Dame, Boston College, etc. Over the decades, those schools have worked their way up into the top 20 or so. UM has not.

Wish UM Academics had the vision, drive, leadership, and donors determined to make it to the top 20. Don’t yet see it.

Do the ranking take into account whether the students are taught the constitution of the USA?
At appears Yale students were never taugtht the 1st ammendment. It concerns me that a that a future SCOTUS could come from a school that does not respest freedom of the speech. Are Putin and the CCP designing their curiculum?.
https://nypost.com/2022/03/17/yale-law-students-disrupt-bipartisan-free-speech-panel/
I saw that Yale fiasco on the news yesterday. It's unreal this speech suppression shit keeps happening, but it's everywhere. To see those entitled kids standing up with their stupid signs the minute the speaker began speaking not allowing her to get one word out...just outrageous.

I'm certain I would have done better than you.

Lol...lol
Lol...lol
That's not what your transcripts from Trump U indicate. "F" in math with crayon's. "F" in spelling, you couldn't spell "Schiff" "F" in economics you thought $5.00 gal gas was better for the economy than $2.00 gal.
Not a good report card cems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT