ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Johnson took a knee during the National Anthem

Only time Cleveland will take a knee this year.

Saw that on the main board and chuckled. Was hoping it wasn't Duke but am not surprised.

Reactions: bbcane
Not a fan of that choice but still support a true hurricane legend.

I'm curious what you are implying with "figures".

Honestly, couldn't care less what he meant by "figures."

Duke is a grown ass man. He's a true Cane--was a great one at that and represented the school well both on and off the field. He's an American and entitled to his opinion. I respect the right of every person to share their view on either side of the debate as long as it is done in a peaceful way that doesn't infringe on the rights of others.

Duke is a grown ass man. He's a true Cane--was a great one at that and represented the school well both on and off the field. He's an American and entitled to his opinion. I respect the right of every person to share their view on either side of the debate as long as it is done in a peaceful way that doesn't infringe on the rights of others.
Thank You.

Your Welcome.
Still avoiding the question. The thank you and your welcomes are stupid but don't bother me at all. But you snide "figures" response is weak. Grow a sack. What are you implying? Keep in mind that Duke does a ton in the south Florida community, comes back to campus, works paradise etc.....figures ......i would ask again but you won't answer. This reminds me of when we lost to Cincinnati and you were saying how Al Golden would get us back on track. You are a moron.

Still avoiding the question. The thank you and your welcomes are stupid but don't bother me at all. But you snide "figures" response is weak. Grow a sack. What are you implying? Keep in mind that Duke does a ton in the south Florida community, comes back to campus, works paradise etc.....figures ......i would ask again but you won't answer. This reminds me of when we lost to Cincinnati and you were saying how Al Golden would get us back on track. You are a moron.
You really hurt me with your name calling.

Your Welcome.

Good post. But JTH isn't man enough to state his opinion he hides behind a snide remark that attacks Dukes character. I'm not afraid to say I disagree with Duke and do not think the national anthem is a time to protest. Too many heroes have risked their lives for our country and right or wrong I think that the anthem has ties to our military and it is disrespectful to those who serve.

You really hurt me with your name calling.

Your Welcome.
*you're.

Last edited:
Reactions: quel and DaveK0341

I agree and disagree with you. It's all about the venue and when at a stadium to play a football game, that's not the right venue for political protests. People are paying to be there and many of those paying customers disagree with your position.

That's why I respect Barbara Streisand. She is a very staunch liberal but my parents went to one of her concerts last year and she told the crowd not to worry, she wouldn't be talking politics.

I don't want football players turning football games into political debates no matter if I agree or disagree with them on the particular issue. As an American, he has the right to express his opinion without fear of retribution from the government. That right does not extend to having a right to express his opinion while on the clock doing his job.

Good post. But JTH isn't man enough to state his opinion he hides behind a snide remark that attacks Dukes character. I'm not afraid to say I disagree with Duke and do not think the national anthem is a time to protest. Too many heroes have risked their lives for our country and right or wrong I think that the anthem has ties to our military and it is disrespectful to those who serve.
Your response is very hypocritical. After all you say above but Duke's a great guy when what he does disrespects those people you honor. Makes sense.

Your Welcome.

Nice to see some compassion and intelligence! Don't agree with taking a knee either. But a lot of very troubling things going on in America 2017! I respect the thought and need to acknowledge that many are disgruntled by racial injustice. Its been a little too prevalent lately. Trump surely ain't helping! Nutt'n but love for ya Duke!

Agree. Personally, I stand. But that doesn't mean I don't understand what compels some to kneel in an attempt to get other people's attention. I just happen to believe the world would be a little better off if we were better at listening to each other.

I agree and disagree with you. It's all about the venue and when at a stadium to play a football game, that's not the right venue for political protests. People are paying to be there and many of those paying customers disagree with your position.

That's why I respect Barbara Streisand. She is a very staunch liberal but my parents went to one of her concerts last year and she told the crowd not to worry, she wouldn't be talking politics.

I don't want football players turning football games into political debates no matter if I agree or disagree with them on the particular issue. As an American, he has the right to express his opinion without fear of retribution from the government. That right does not extend to having a right to express his opinion while on the clock doing his job.
Exactly correct. If many of us did this at work we wouldn't have a job.

Thank you.

Taking a knee is not the same as having a conversation. It just isn't. There are certain times when sports is a good platform to raise awareness and show support! I still don't like the taking a knee...but, people need to show love in spite of it. Especially because of the reason behind it. I'll always remember Dr. King teaching that only light can drive out darkness. Only love. Empathize and validate. No need to attack them in this case.
586bdcfe1900002b000e2a95.jpeg

Thank you.
Last I checked, the guy who started this doesn't have a job either. But its really irrelevant. Who cares if you can't do this at your job. The bottom line is be a difference maker. If people are disgruntled, hear them out, empathize, and work for peace. And even if you disagree with their choice, which I strongly do, love on them anyway. Bridge the gap, don't be divisive. Need some leaders.

It's a free country. Duke is entitled to kneel; the fans are entitled to react to him on and off the field anyway they want (excluding violence); and Browns management is free to let him go (paying him what he's contractually due). One is very free to act in this country, but our actions have consequences.

Thank you.
Then it appears that you are not as valuable to your employer/clients/customers as Duke and his NFL colleagues are to the owners and fans.

The fact is that if a man believes he comes from a disenfranchised or oppressed population and is given the privilege of a platform to make an important statement, only a coward would sit quiet to avoid making waves.

In the grand scheme of things, this protest is minor in nature. It doesn't interfere with my ability to show respect and appreciation for what the anthem represents. At the same time, this protest is effective in spurring a conversation. There is no actual harm except in the minds of people who go six to midnight at the prospect of culture wars.

Endorsed and seconded 1000x...

Then it appears that you are not as valuable to your employer/clients/customers as Duke and his NFL colleagues are to the owners and fans.

The fact is that if a man believes he comes from a disenfranchised or oppressed population and is given the privilege of a platform to make an important statement, only a coward would sit quiet to avoid making waves.

In the grand scheme of things, this protest is minor in nature. It doesn't interfere with my ability to show respect and appreciation for what the anthem represents. At the same time, this protest is effective in spurring a conversation. There is no actual harm except in the minds of people who go six to midnight at the prospect of culture wars.
People are not paying for a product to hear or see the individual views of the players or employees. That's the problem when people try to force their views on other people. If Duke doesn't like what's going on march out front before the game not put down our country. That would take some balls. Just another spoiled player that has no honor for our country.

Problem I have is wtf did any of these players DO.... what actions did they take in the off season to make their communities better? If they didn't do anything then why wait till now to take a knee?

Reactions: zackbear
Last I checked, the guy who started this doesn't have a job either. But its really irrelevant. Who cares if you can't do this at your job. The bottom line is be a difference maker. If people are disgruntled, hear them out, empathize, and work for peace. And even if you disagree with their choice, which I strongly do, love on them anyway. Bridge the gap, don't be divisive. Need some leaders.
I personally hope he never gets a job. He is a spoiled loser in my opinion.

I thank it's nasty and disrespectful for you people to not understand why they are doing this. It also tells me how far apart we are in this country. It is.... and always will be a black vs whites thing. It should be a unity thing. Who gives a damn about a damn flag or anthem? A song made during slavery times. Leave these black athletes alone. It's a damn shame black people have to do this in 2017. They have to deal with the back lash of a ignorant race of people, and you got the KKK running around like it's 1960. You're talking about politics don't belong in sports. That's funny, because to black people it's about life or death. These athletes are standing up for righteous and justices. I'm very proud of them.

Last edited:

People are not paying for a product to hear or see the individual views of the players or employees. That's the problem when people try to force their views on other people. If Duke doesn't like what's going on march out front before the game not put down our country. That would take some balls. Just another spoiled player that has no honor for our country.
He's on a knee, silently, for max 2 minutes.

If that feels like he's "forcing" himself on you, then you need to take a long hard look in the mirror and recalibrate your expectation for what it is that you feel the world owes you.

I thank it's nasty and disrespectful for you people to not understand why they are doing this. It also tells me how far apart we are in this country. It is.... and always will be a black vs whites thing. It should be a unity thing. Who gives a damn about a damn flag or anthem? A song made during slavery times. Leave these black athletes alone. It's a damn shame black people have to do this in 2017. They have to deal with the back lash of a ignorant race of people, and you got the KKK running around likes it 1960. You're talking about politics don't belong in sports. That's funny, because to black people it's about life or death. These athletes are standing up for righteous and justices. I'm very proud of them.
I guess you believe as Kapernick believes that Cops are no good.

Reactions: caphayes

Agree 100%. If the players want to bring attention to this issue, go to a rally or march and give a speech. They will still get PLENTY of media coverage. Don't force paying customers to sit through the protest, no matter how "minor" it is. Disrespecting the national anthem is not a "minor" protest as you are essentially disrespecting all people that fought and died for your freedom.

The people at the game and watching on TV are paying the player's salaries. If I want to give thought to social issues, I'll watch CNN or Fox News. When I attend or view a football game, I want to watch players perform at a high level and make me forget about the "real" issues in the world.

He's on a knee, silently, for max 2 minutes.

If that feels like he's "forcing" himself on you, then you need to take a long hard look in the mirror and recalibrate your expectation for what it is that you feel the world owes you.
Be honest with you I am tired of all of this garbage by players, actors etc. I will pay for college ball because the players don't get paid but I will never give a penny to the NFL or NBA anymore.

If they believe so much in this cause go on strike, picket some games not dishonor a country that has given them everything they have.

It's demeaning to our country and the thousands (or millions) who died for our freedom. Hold a press conference or use another avenue for your cause.
The same country that treated blacks like third class citizens after they returned from world war II and the Vietnam war the same country that told people of color that they had to ride in the back of the bus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT