ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Johnson took a knee during the National Anthem

"If white supremacists can still march around with torches then I have no problem with any player taking a knee."

- Quote from Lou97

Would you be ok if they were NOT allowed to march?

Fair question and I probably phrased that poorly. The answer is that I think the white supremacists have a right to march in a peaceful manner as disgusting as they are. The players also have a right to take a knee. The first amendment is the first amendment regardless of whether I or you agree or not. My point was that I saw very few, if any, threads on Charlottesville but countless on this taking a knee issue. They are not even comparable in my opinion. A football player taking a knee pales in comparison to these Nazi supporting white supremacists marching through an American city.

Agree 100%. If the players want to bring attention to this issue, go to a rally or march and give a speech. They will still get PLENTY of media coverage. Don't force paying customers to sit through the protest, no matter how "minor" it is. Disrespecting the national anthem is not a "minor" protest as you are essentially disrespecting all people that fought and died for your freedom.

The people at the game and watching on TV are paying the player's salaries. If I want to give thought to social issues, I'll watch CNN or Fox News. When I attend or view a football game, I want to watch players perform at a high level and make me forget about the "real" issues in the world.

So not true. If they simply went to a rally, they would get almost no media coverage and NONE of us would spend any energy discussing why and what's going on. Why do you think you are writing and posting...because they did it at a football game. Get real about it.

Clap Clap Clap........thank U ......spot on.....
If they didn't take a knee, none of us would be talking about it. Get real. They could do a ton in their communities...no one would report it, most people on here wouldn't care, because it doesn't affect them. Stop lie'n. If you turn on the TV tomorrow and hear a story on what Duke is doing to build race relations, most people here don't care and would change the channel or not even watch. Taking a knee has incited passion and frustration, but ultimately gets many to ask, why are they doing this, and what is being done. At least so many become concerned about it. And many who never even bat an eye, become exposed to others crying out and at least listen.

I don't support him i am disappointed in him because all these guys are jackasses........

Duke spends time mentoring kids, pays for kids to play sports and have tutors, donates to his church, donates time, money, and resources to help single moms, is and always has been a great teammate and person. Does more to help people than the media will ever report...but he's a jack$#@...okay. You go with that. Hope you put as much energy into helping people and being a difference maker for the better in life. Criticizing and pointing fingers is easy.

The same country that treated blacks like third class citizens after they returned from world war II and the Vietnam war the same country that told people of color that they had to ride in the back of the bus.

Let me tell you something pal: I was in Vietnam and we knew/ thought our own country was
against us. Many troops went awol and a good number committed suicide and i could go
on and on. As far as whites being treated better blacks.....We were all treated like second
class citizens. I still go and visit any Vietnam vet who is in a hospital or sanitarium
whenever I can.

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
Hope Stevie gets his shot and produces. Go Canes...

Morris impressive: The reason why Morris is behind Walker on the depth chart, and why he hasn't been given the opportunity to push Tolzien for the starting job, continues to be a mystery. Morris was effective in the fourth quarter for the second straight week. He was 11-of-15 for 111 yards and a touchdown to bring his two-game preseason total to 24-of-35 for 205 yards and a touchdown.

Let me tell you something pal: I was in Vietnam and we knew/ thought our own country was
against us. Many troops went awol and a good number committed suicide and i could go
on and on. As far as whites being treated better blacks.....We were all treated like second
class citizens. I still go and visit any Vietnam vet who is in a hospital or sanitarium
whenever I can.

How would you treat a Vietnam vet who kneeled during the anthem out of frustration for what he and his brother in arms have been treated or mistreated or unsupported by out gov't. Would that be such an egregious act that you wouldn't support him any more? Just curious.

How would you treat a Vietnam vet who kneeled during the anthem out of frustration for what he and his brother in arms have been treated or mistreated or unsupported by out gov't. Would that be such an egregious act that you wouldn't support him any more? Just curious.

You'll never see a Vietnam vet lower himself to that standard unless he's on drugs.

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
I'm sure most of you know that during the breaking of bread at church, you could either kneel or stand. The point is that both actions are signs of respect.

Anyone "offended" by someone kneeling ... just get over yourself and move on.

Reactions: Zay0327 and m.dan
Be honest with you I am tired of all of this garbage by players, actors etc. I will pay for college ball because the players don't get paid but I will never give a penny to the NFL or NBA anymore.

If they believe so much in this cause go on strike, picket some games not dishonor a country that has given them everything they have.
So if some Miami Hurricane players took a knee, would you stop rooting for the canes?

Problem I have is wtf did any of these players DO.... what actions did they take in the off season to make their communities better? If they didn't do anything then why wait till now to take a knee?

As an athlete what are their options in fighting against racial injustice and the killing of unarmed bk males by police. What exactly can they do during the off season that would have the same effect and would bring as bright a light to this dark and troubling issue.
I'm a veteran and I have absolutely no problem with them using this platform to express their displeasure with the direction in which this country appears to be headed. I don't in any way associate their actions with our military and the people who lost their lives in battle.

Their protest is about people losing their lives right here in the United States unjustly, but if you are not a part of that segment of the population that this is clearly affecting, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Disrespecting the flag or anyone speaking to you is turning your back at that moment. People show respect by kneeling, standing, saluting, and etc. We don't play the anthem at work, so don't use the correlation to ones employer, not the same b/c you can voice your politics at work beyond your voice (print, car bumper sticker, and etc). I'm waiting for fans to go and start calling out others in the stands that don't stand, take there at off, or put there hand over there heart. The past is present in different forms and for some, this country is there groundhogs day and it has not and to them won't change. If sports are suppose to unit us, you can not unit without understanding how you are connected or why you can not due to your differences.

Reactions: 5020chuck
As an athlete what are their options in fighting against racial injustice and the killing of unarmed bk males by police. What exactly can they do during the off season that would have the same effect and would bring as bright a light to this dark and troubling issue.
I'm a veteran and I have absolutely no problem with them using this platform to express their displeasure with the direction in which this country appears to be headed. I don't in any way associate their actions with our military and the people who lost their lives in battle.

Their protest is about people losing their lives right here in the United States unjustly, but if you are not a part of that segment of the population that this is clearly affecting, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

How many unarmed white people are killed by police every year? Why isn't that an issue? It doesn't fit the "racist cops" narrative.

I'm in the military, active duty. If I sat out a national anthem they would discharge me following an investigation. Just saying, I would lose my job....for a reason.
Totally different situations. You pledged under oath and raised your right hand... these are civilians. Gotta separate the two.

People are not paying for a product to hear or see the individual views of the players or employees. That's the problem when people try to force their views on other people. If Duke doesn't like what's going on march out front before the game not put down our country. That would take some balls. Just another spoiled player that has no honor for our country.
It is a peace full protest no one is forcing anything. And it's not a law in the NFL that say they can't do it

How many unarmed white people are killed by police every year? Why isn't that an issue? It doesn't fit the "racist cops" narrative.

I agree that any cop that kills an unarmed civilian should be prosecuted to the letter of the law.

From my analysis of this issue the cause is lack of perception. You asked about white cops killing whites. Well, in the perception of blacks that have had 400 years of injustice (1964 Civil Rights enacted but we still had key figures killed post that...) they are not aware of this. When a person of color voices out about injustice he/she is met with cynical disdain. Fact is there are good cops that make bad calls. And there are racists cops that make bad calls. Trying to figure out who is who is a mess.

How about objective civil discourse...

I agree that any cop that kills an unarmed civilian should be prosecuted to the letter of the law.

From my analysis of this issue the cause is lack of perception. You asked about white cops killing whites. Well, in the perception of blacks that have had 400 years of injustice (1964 Civil Rights enacted but we still had key figures killed post that...) they are not aware of this. When a person of color voices out about injustice he/she is met with cynical disdain. Fact is there are good cops that make bad calls. And there are racists cops that make bad calls. Trying to figure out who is who is a mess.

How about objective civil discourse...

I certainly agree with what you said. There are definitely racists and racist cops that still exist. Blacks certainly suffered under a lot of injustice historically. However, it hurts the country when everything that happens to a black person is immediately assumed by "activists" and protestors to have happened due to race.

As a white person, I once had the gang task force in palm beach county pull me over behind a shopping center when I was going to work and question me and search my car with no justification at all. This was when I was in high school. My reaction was that these cops are a bunch of clueless idiots. If the same exact situation had happened to a black classmate, the reaction would have been that the cops were racists.

After investigation, if it turns out that a particular cop likely acted due to racism, then they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I choose to believe that there are very very very very few cops who are out there looking for an excuse to kill black people just because they are black. I'm sure there are at least 1 in the country but that doesn't indicate systemic racism. It indicates that there are a handful of despicable people out there.

Lol at a bunch of millionaires dissing the country that gave them such an opportunity. They can all shove it Duke included. No wonder the NFL is going downhill in ratings.
Naw, a bunch of brave men black or white using their platform to raise awareness, and to stand for CK. You can shove it. Idiot

Reactions: dlmcane and m.dan
Always really liked Duke, that's very disappointing for me.
Educate yourself. You see the color of his skin? What's disappointing is....we still have to do this in 2017. What's disappointing is.....the KKK is running around in 2017. Can't really think black people give a damn about that flag do You? SMFH

Educate yourself. You see the color of his skin? What's disappointing is....we still have to do this in 2017. What's disappointing is.....the KKK is running around in 2017. Can't really think black people give a damn about that flag do You? SMFH
Some do and apparently some don't. Every color has bled for that flag. We live in the most free country on the planet yet we still complain about how bad it is. I don't disagree with you about hate groups but how about we solve the problem and get rid of all the hate groups.

Nice to see some compassion and intelligence! Don't agree with taking a knee either. But a lot of very troubling things going on in America 2017! I respect the thought and need to acknowledge that many are disgruntled by racial injustice. Its been a little too prevalent lately. Trump surely ain't helping! Nutt'n but love for ya Duke!
A much bigger issue is what going on in Chicago every day, where is the knee, athletes or anything for that? These toddlers that are being killed, where the fvck is this the rage for this?

A much bigger issue is what going on in Chicago every day, where is the knee, athletes or anything for that? These toddlers that are being killed, where the fvck is this the rage for this?
Exactly... another ironic fact. Everyone screams at the police but guess who's mom and step dad were police officers? Duke!

That's the same flag who fought the confederates and gained slaves freedom. It's a disrespect to all colors who fought to free them and abolish slavery. It's a disrespect to anyone who's ever put on a uniform and made a sacrifice. I grew up a Browns fan as my dad is from Cleveland but I won't watch another game until they knock it off. They're uneducated fools.

Reactions: grant1998
The sons of the confederacy defeated the nazis in WW2.

If not for them we would all be speaking German and/or be a fuking lampshade.

The dummies have no idea why they are kneeling.

Reactions: CANEIACX5
Not a fan of that choice but still support a true hurricane legend.

I'm curious what you are implying with "figures".

well NFL took major hits all the way around last year & if this shit keeps up-they are gonna take even bigger hits. Canes or anyone else I am opposed to this & looks like I will be boycotting another year of this BULLSHIT!

Some do and apparently some don't. Every color has bled for that flag. We live in the most free country on the planet yet we still complain about how bad it is. I don't disagree with you about hate groups but how about we solve the problem and get rid of all the hate groups.
Ha Ha that comment about getting rid of hate groups let's me know some people just don't get it...smh

Exactly... another ironic fact. Everyone screams at the police but guess who's mom and step dad were police officers? Duke!

That's the same flag who fought the confederates and gained slaves freedom. It's a disrespect to all colors who fought to free them and abolish slavery. It's a disrespect to anyone who's ever put on a uniform and made a sacrifice. I grew up a Browns fan as my dad is from Cleveland but I won't watch another game until they knock it off. They're uneducated fools.

Look man, at the beginning of the war-Lincoln wanted to round up all Slaves & send them back, the South fought against it. The main thing Lincoln wanted at the beginning of the war had nothing to do with Slavery, it was to have 1 Union so-they gonna take him down too?

Honestly, couldn't care less what he meant by "figures."

Duke is a grown ass man. He's a true Cane--was a great one at that and represented the school well both on and off the field. He's an American and entitled to his opinion. I respect the right of every person to share their view on either side of the debate as long as it is done in a peaceful way that doesn't infringe on the rights of others.
Sorry, I disagree. I spent 30 years in the Navy. To me, what they are doing is disrespecting the country I defended! They may think it is cute, or making a statement, but I see it as blatant disrespect.
Respect to you hrcane71. You've certainly earned your right to your point of view. You've also protected the rights of others to lawfully express completely different points of view. For whatever faults we have, this is a pretty amazing country.

Some of the comments in this thread let's me know how clueless most people are in this country when it comes to social issues, civil rights issues right etc. The truth of the matter is if it doesn't effect them in any kind of way you can't expect to people understand why these players protest because the ones who are screaming these players are uneducated are really the ignorant ones. If you can't the relate to issues you just won't get it.

Last edited:
Most black people don't care, and it's because of the history in this country. There's a disconnect and it's because it's not your race, so it doesn't affect you. You can't relate. There's a bunch storys and pictures, and documentaries about blacks in America. Do your homework with passion then get back at me. America dark side is like a total eclipses. The KKK has burn churches and homes of black people and hung black people. That's like ISIS killing all those people and now they're just a group that protesting. No! They shouldn't even exist!

Reactions: dlmcane
Ha Ha that comment about getting rid of hate groups let's me know some people just don't get it...smh
See this is exactly the problem... if you can't come up with some type of solution then don't bitch. Hate is taught. It's generational. I've done my part as a parent now I challenge everyone else to do theirs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT