ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Thrones

Originally posted by NJCANE1:

Originally posted by Swaggah64:
Originally posted by NJCANE1:

Just got the 5 book bundle last night...started reading this morning. I'm already zoned in. I'm glad this thread was created because I didn't even know these books existed.
I orderd my bundle from eBay today. I was going to start it on my Nook but decided that I wanted to feel the paper.

So far do you find that seeing the series takes away from the story at all or do you find that it enhances it in a way.

I have 50 more pages on the last Hunger Games book so I'll be ready when they come.

The one thing about thoi series that is unuasual and that gives it an edge that most other books or series of this type don't have is that Martin is not afraid to kill off a Main character. And in interesting ways.

I first realized it when Ned Stark was beheaded in front of Arya and the Red Wedding was incredible as well.

I don't know how Walder Frey came off in the book but everything about his character in that episode was great. I like how he names his offspring kind of like George Foreman.

It seems like in Oswald State Correctional Facility, no one is safe and the ain characters continue to evolve. They don't stay sorcerer's apprentices at Hogwarts.

Had to stay home with my nine month old daughter today. Thought I'd get some reading in but she's been a handful so far. I did a quick research on all the families earlier, will start reading tonight when my wife gets home before the game. Will update you later. Thanks for helping get this thread back on topic.
As far as getting the topic on point. I took your advice and went back to ignoring them. I will try and stick to it and be the better person that I am because I know that they will continue with their non-sense.

Dude, I am so jealous that you have a 9 month old daughter. My girls are now 17 and 14. I absolutely loved everything about those girls as babies. It is hard to read however.

Did you watch Spartacus as well?

Never got into Spartacus but not because I wasn't interested. It's on my list of series to catch up on but I want to watch Sons of Anarchy and Walking Dead first. With the baby damn near walking I'm watching her more than TV...but I'm gonna find time to read the GOT series. Let me know what games you're going to this year and maybe we can meet up.

Ok. I'll be at quite a few. Central has a sick schedule. Depending on what else is happening I will try to see them against university School, booker t and MNW.

Then I try and see as many Cane targets as possible.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Just got the 5 book bundle last night...started reading this morning. I'm already zoned in. I'm glad this thread was created because I didn't even know these books existed.
I orderd my bundle from eBay today. I was going to start it on my Nook but decided that I wanted to feel the paper.

So far do you find that seeing the series takes away from the story at all or do you find that it enhances it in a way.

I have 50 more pages on the last Hunger Games book so I'll be ready when they come.

The one thing about thoi series that is unuasual and that gives it an edge that most other books or series of this type don't have is that Martin is not afraid to kill off a Main character. And in interesting ways.

I first realized it when Ned Stark was beheaded in front of Arya and the Red Wedding was incredible as well.

I don't know how Walder Frey came off in the book but everything about his character in that episode was great. I like how he names his offspring kind of like George Foreman.

It seems like in Oswald State Correctional Facility, no one is safe and the ain characters continue to evolve. They don't stay sorcerer's apprentices at Hogwarts.
The show did impact the book, luckily I read it first, but the actors, while good, are not as robust in many cases as they are in the Book. The Lannisters are more enhanced in the book, whether it be snark, beauty or homeliness. Tyrian is especially ugly in the book, I pictured him a twisted, bald grotesquery of a critter, in the show he's just a little person. I think they nailed Bryienne but missed majorly on John Snow and Egrit. Either way the try to imagine and project yoru own image of the characters and not the ones HBO made, they work great on the show but are diminished in the book imho.

Originally posted by canerob:
Well, say hello to Harry Potter for all of us.
laugh.r191677.gif

Reactions: BreakingCane
this is how great this show is.... as of this time last friday I had not seen a single episode of this show. Just heard a lot of it. I had ordered it on netflix 2 days before and watched the first 2 episodes. I was so hooked I got on hbo go and watched ALL 3 SEASONS by the time the season finale was on sunday night.... watched that monday. This show is fantastic and the only way to watch it is back to back to back like that, now im thirsty for next year!

Originally posted by deuce1906:
this is how great this show is.... as of this time last friday I had not seen a single episode of this show. Just heard a lot of it. I had ordered it on netflix 2 days before and watched the first 2 episodes. I was so hooked I got on hbo go and watched ALL 3 SEASONS by the time the season finale was on sunday night.... watched that monday. This show is fantastic and the only way to watch it is back to back to back like that, now im thirsty for next year!
It is great that you can do that. It sucks now we have to wait a while. At least I'll have read all of the books by then.

Good stuff! Yeah, Game of Thrones is like that. If you come in and watch 10 or 15 minutes of a couple of random episodes, you're not going to appreciate it. And if you just don't like fantasy stuff like that or dungeons and dragons (I love that criticism) then it's probably not great.

But if you watch it from the beginning with an open mind and learn the characters and complexity of the show, you realize that it's a literary masterpiece. Unpredictable, doesn't follow the normal Protagonist Antagonist story line, and it always keeps you guessing.

Vikings is also very good and I recommend watching it from the beginning. Only 8 Episodes are out. Vikings was the most watched new cable TV show of 2013 for good reason. BIG DIFFERENCE though ... It's not fantasy, no magic, no dragons, no krakens, no magic brooms ... it's just a great story about The Viking era and how they just showed up and started sacking England out of nowhere. Busting heads, taking names, just being bad asses. When the Vikings washed up on shore in England, they might has well have been aliens. It's a historic culture clash, and stays very true to world history. Noone is jumping around like they are in The Matrix.

As far as Harry Potter, it's kind of pointless to criticize one of the most successful literary and movie franchises in the last 100 years, but I just wasn't into it. I did watch the first 3 and respected them, but just wasn't all that into them. I lost track and lost interest.

Another show that I would recommend that is not fantasy related is "The Americans" by FX. That was really good I thought, and since I was a Cold War kid during the 80's, living overseas, the content of this show really hits home. It goes deep into the war between the KGB and CIA during the Reagan Era.

The Hunger Games first book was good. The second book was aight ... Then the third book was hard to finish. I think that the author was just cashing in at that point. The movie was cool though. More of a Redbox movie for me. I won't be going to the theater for any more of those.

I think that the only point of this thread, is to give me something, anything to watch or read, while I wait for college football. Sorry for the long ... non-Canes related post. I am going to get "Sleeper Cell" soon because someone on this post reminded me about it. I heard good things, but never watched it.

I watched the first couple of episodes of Vikings and thought it was only so so. I didn't really give it my full attention though. On your rrecommendation because I agree with you about Harry Potter, G of T and also Hunger Games. I am not loving the last book, just getting through it. I did like the movie and the way it was shot. I was wondering how they were going to handle the killing scenes and I thought they handled it well since it was geared towards a younger audience.

Another AMC show that is very good is Hell on Wheels which tells the story of the building of the railroad. It is good after the Civil War. It is not as good as Deadwood, which was incredible but it is interesting.

AMC has 2 of the best shows ever in Breaking Bad and Walking Dead and then also Hell of Wheels.

Thanks for the back and forth, I am enjoying it.

I agree with Breaking Bad and Walking Dead for sure. Especially since Walking Dead added "Cutty" from The Wire. Which is my all time favorite, most well written show ever IMO.

I took my 13 year old son to watch Hunger Games, and thought it was edgy enough, but still watchable for his age. I watched two episodes of Hell on Wheels and it seemed to be building into something, I must have gotten side tracked. I will add that show to the DVR and catch up based on your recommendation.

What about the new Spartacus Season 2? I loved Season 1, but the main actor was my favorite character and he died in real life (very sad), so they replaced him. That Spartacus Prequel short mini series thing was over the top with the sex, profanity and blood though. I like a show to be raw ... but watching that, it felt like Clockwork Orange, where I was just sitting in my chair being force fed 1000 crazy over-the-top scenes in 60 minutes without a really good storyline.

Originally posted by mik303:
I agree with Breaking Bad and Walking Dead for sure. Especially since Walking Dead added "Cutty" from The Wire. Which is my all time favorite, most well written show ever IMO.

I took my 13 year old son to watch Hunger Games, and thought it was edgy enough, but still watchable for his age. I watched two episodes of Hell on Wheels and it seemed to be building into something, I must have gotten side tracked. I will add that show to the DVR and catch up based on your recommendation.

What about the new Spartacus Season 2? I loved Season 1, but the main actor was my favorite character and he died in real life (very sad), so they replaced him. That Spartacus Prequel short mini series thing was over the top with the sex, profanity and blood though. I like a show to be raw ... but watching that, it felt like Clockwork Orange, where I was just sitting in my chair being force fed 1000 crazy over-the-top scenes in 60 minutes without a really good storyline.

Yes. That was so sad about the first Spartacus. Bummed me out. I agree about the second season but they were trying to keep people interested.

It took a while to get used to the new Spartacus but by the end he was great and I thought that the series finale was among the best I have ever seen. So well done. You must watch through the credits.

I know I can look it up but I have seen every WIRE and cannot remember who cutty was.

My wife is laying in bed next to me at Baptist hospital getting a blood transfusion. It's been a tough year with medical issues. My 17 year old is going out of the country for a month on Tuesday and we just found out my wife won't get out til Tuesday. Meanwhile we have to move out because they are starting construction on my house on Thursday because we had a flood. When it rains it pours. Sorry just venting. It's a bit scary here at the moment. I am typing here to try and keep sanity.

And I had my best workout today in a long while. My back is feeling better and got a good pump with weights, got a lot done today and then boom with my wife.

Swaggah, thoughts and prayers to your family. I had no idea. I workout a few times a week just to stay active and release some stress. It's healthier than drinking my problems away, that's for sure. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. You can vent about anything you want brother, I check the board a few times a day.

Some Kids grow up thinking that their parents are invincible. Things like this can scare them. It sounds like your family is close, so that is a blessing.

Read all the books. Script is very faithfull to the books. Whoever did the casting did a very good job and deserves an award. The character portrayals are absolutely right on the books.

Hey Fitz, was it me, or was Theon's sister supposed to be hot in the books? The lady they have playing her in the show is my only disappointment. You're right though, the casting was superb. We should start seeing people from Dorne show up in the next season and Daenerys runs into some more strange cities across the water. I want to see how they cast them. I like how they turned Grey Worm into a spear flipping ninja.

I liked Dinklage in Find Me Guilty as an attorney.. I actually liked Vin Diesel in it too lol.

Dinklage is also a voice in the upcoming Next Gen Video game made by Bungie called Destiny.

Hey Fitz, was it me, or was Theon's sister supposed to be hot in the books? The lady they have playing her in the show is my only disappointment. You're right though, the casting was superb. We should start seeing people from Dorne show up in the next season and Daenerys runs into some more strange cities across the water. I want to see how they cast them. I like how they turned Grey Worm into a spear flipping ninja.

Agree, thats been my only critique, my mind's eye painted a very different picture of many of the characters, but its no less compelling.

For those that asked. My wife will be OK. However it was very scary for a little while, especially. I am not ready to be a single parent of teenage girls.

She is on blood thinners for a condition and lost a lot of blood. A long story but the bleeding was caused by the removal of encapsulated cancer cells. So as scary as this was it is much better than the alternative of going through chemo and/or radiation.

Life can change in a split second for all of us and we need to be grateful for what we have.

The initial Dr. that treated her at the ER was a Dr. Leslie and the rest of the staff was outstanding. Dr. Lederhandler did the procedure and he is also a wonderful doctor He is a Gastroenterologist BTW if anyone is looking for one. By going and getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy 5 year before she needed to it may have saved her life.

Glad to see the thread is still alive. I received my vacuum sealed copy of the first 4 books and that will keep me for a while.

I hope your wife has a speedy recovery. It sounds like a difficult situation.

Actually she should be home tomorrow and all should be good from here out. A small price to pay to avoid colon cancer.

This is a great thread, showing how fragile we are even though we all come here and bitch and moan about our favorite college. Thank you for getting this thread back on track, and good luck for your family. I have been wanting to get GOT, the series, for a while now, it looks terrific. I've seen Spartacus, Walking Dead and many other good series, now I've got a reason to pull the trigger. I also loved Battlestar, although the last season kinda had me disappointed! To the other people, get out of your pissing match, it's very childish!

lol
Gary must be a fan to allow this to continue.
Wallowing in self pity and righteous indignation is just narcissim which is what GOT is all about.

In all fairness, he allows you to continue....

Originally posted by canesreturn:
lol
Wallowing in self pity and righteous indignation is just narcissim which is what GOT is all about.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com

lol
Anonymity is the only way you say the things you do. In person I picture you as a cross between Shapiro and a pile of horse shit.

I have a problem with a oerson who starts nastiness and then seeks sympathy for health conditions of loved ones. Are health conditions of loved ones relevant to a Canes board? Are they used to explain his initial nastiness? Or is it manipulation for our sympathy? Not the first time this poster has done this. Surgeries and ill relatives are not on point to a Canes discussion. Neither is GOT.

You are a black man who has denied it countless times. You are embarrassed to be who you are. You have shown to be a racist more times that any of us can count.

If I choose to share something with people I have a repoire and common interest then it is my concern. If you hate GOT and this thread then you should have stayed away. I stay away from threads that don't interest me.

You only came here to bring dissension, to tell us how stupid we are for enjoying something and specifically to attack me. If we were all in a room you would be the one cowering in the corner out of embarrassment. No friends in here.

I was venting as I was scared that my wife, the mother of my children was going to die. You don't know when to shut your dumb ass.

GOT is over you head as is life in general. You are just a lowlife, racist punk. I wipe things like you off of my shoe. You are one of the most hated people on this site. Why don't you go where people like you? Because it doesn't exist.

Look at how petty you are to worry about a thread on a TV show and someone posting about a sick spouse.

Part of this site is Canes, another part is that we are all humans with up and downs, joys and sadness and sometimes we share these things.

Like you have shared that you are a lowlife, asshole, who hates all of the white coaches, loves the black coaches, has nothing good to add to any post. I dare anyone to find a positive thing this piece of garbage has ever said or anything aforementioned scumbag has ever added to this site.

Originally posted by Canesman511:

lol
Anonymity is the only way you say the things you do. In person I picture you as a cross between Shapiro and a pile of horse shit.
?? I don't get it. Crossing a pile of horse shit and a pile of horse shit just seems like it would only make another pile of horse shit...oh well :)

I have a problem with a oerson who starts nastiness and then seeks sympathy for health conditions of loved ones. Are health conditions of loved ones relevant to a Canes board? Are they used to explain his initial nastiness? Or is it manipulation for our sympathy? Not the first time this poster has done this. Surgeries and ill relatives are not on point to a Canes discussion. Neither is GOT.

Find ONE instance when I started nastiness? Go through every thread and find one where I started. The go through every thread where I tried to offer information or add to it.

You add nothing to this site.

How about we do a poll. And loser disappears forever?

This post was edited on 6/18 12:55 PM by Swaggah64

Swag you are a sick puppy. I am not black. Do you honestly believe only blacks are offended by racism? You have bigger problems than I thought. I feel sorry for you and will try to continue to pray for you. Hang in there.

A pole?
Do you consider calling me soul less because I criticized sikky GOT nastiness?
I do.

I don't need your prayers. You are one of the biggest losers here.

Look at how many times you have posted in a thread that you don't care about.

Why have you posted so many times just to try and ruin others happiness? You are certainly not interesting nor funny. Your knowledge of Canes football is very limited. It peaks around criticism which is the lowest common denominator next to complaining.

Not one person here of any quality likes or respects you. Why do you stay where you aren't wanted?

Swag you are a sick puppy. I am not black. Do you honestly believe only blacks are offended by racism? You have bigger problems than I thought. I feel sorry for you and will try to continue to pray for you. Hang in there.
I am far more offended than racism than you. You are making things up. Talk about my drug addiction some more why don't you. You know nothing about me. Defending a coach because he is black is a racist act. Simple. That is why I denounce it. Other than that you have nothing on me.

I know what people do when they have problems, the try and transfer them to others.

So my liar, Black, Racist, Drug addicted, scumbag, piece of shit, asshole poster, many of us wish you would leave. You have proven countless times your lack of worth.

BTW the Dr. who took care of my wife in the ER when we were scared we might lose her was Dr. Leslie, who is African-American and I was so happy to have him treat her. He was outstanding. And fantastic bedside manner. FWIW.

Anyone that disagrees with me can let me know.

LOL. You may be beyond redemption you oxycodone abusing, racist bigot. But I will continue to pray for you. I don't hate the sinner just the sin.

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
Your comebacks are empty. Based on nothing. All moronic comebacks based in fantasy.

You are a miserable person that no one likes. As I said your piece of shit mother doesn't even like you.

How bout the Heat Swagger. Youreally have a problem with people's mothers don't you. Was yours a whore? Is that why you hate stranger's moms? Hopefully you'll forgive your mom for whatever she did to you way back when. I can only believe ypur hatre spewed out for me and others is borne of some deep rooted pain you have not been able to overcome. Maybe the surgery you sought sympathy for or your loved one's illness. Maybe you need to get off the pain meds and sit down with a shrink. Forgive your mother for whatever you believe she did to you. Get with a shrink. As always you are in my prayers. I forgive your angry words. I understand they are from pain. Hope you overcome whatever it is that ails you.

And no to answer your original stupid question I was not hoping the Heat game would end to watch GOT or men wearing tight leather garments in Spartacus. Maybe you have unresolved feelings about your sexuality that is causing anger towards women. Remember Norman Bates?

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
Your comebacks are empty. Based on nothing. All moronic comebacks based in fantasy.

You are a miserable person that no one likes. As I said your piece of shit mother doesn't even like you.
You truly are garbage and a hypocrite. You attack rerun's mother and call her a piece of shit, you can't restrain yourself from insulting my Father who passed away. You are garbage, what you have done in this thread puts you there with Shacannes when he went way overboard attacking mmako's fiancee. You are one sorry piece of garbage, you insecure little bitch.

I saw NJ calling on Gary to ban people for less, where is the righteous indignation here?

Swallow you are worthless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT