ADVERTISEMENT

Might Richt’s Attempts To Spread His Faith Raise Questions For UM?

Allegations of spreading the Gospel? Wow, guilty as charged...Since when did it become a crime or looked on in a negative light when someone shares Christ, feeds the hungry, clothes the poor and basically loves others. Sad that this is looked on negatively by some.
That's the new world according to TCanes

Reactions: geppapa
Listen just like you there are always going to be people that target religion, there is more of it each day. If it was up to your people there wouldn't be a Christmas or Easter.
"your people"? And your'e concerned that there is a Tcane58 on every message board? Gotta love it.

Wow, the Butch or bust crowd is getting desperate. Tcane is one poster who will be the first to jump while blaming the bigots for not hiring Butch. Not sure anyone will stop you.

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
Problem is he gets ALL his "history" from FOX n Glenn Beck

FACT.
Wrong... This nation was founded on Christian principles. Not all of the founding fathers were Christians but they believed in God and knew the importance of faith. "In God we trust" and " One nation under God" ring a bell? The downfall of our country began in the sixtees when we took God out of the schools so to speak and the country seems to be attempting to take God out of everything daily. Scary times

Bad choice of word's jth007 And by the way you are making it worse advice push away from table

Oh boy.

Angry, delusional old man in the house. Scary times....funny stuff.

Our country is doing just fine...greatest in the world.

Wrong... This nation was founded on Christian principles. Not all of the founding fathers were Christians but they believed in God and knew the importance of faith. "In God we trust" and " One nation under God" ring a bell? The downfall of our country began in the sixtees when we took God out of the schools so to speak and the country seems to be attempting to take God out of everything daily. Scary times

obviously since are constitution prohibits the government from establishing a national religion or endorsing one, we were not established as a Christian nation. However, we were most certainly established upon Judeo - Christian principles.

Lol...this is why no one should take the religious right seriously, facts don't seem to be important. "One nation under God" was not a part of the pledge of allegiance until 1954 when a bill was passed in congress adding it. "In God we trust" did not appear on ANY money or official government logos until around 1956.

polyatheist.jpg

Stop throwing cold water on this guy's angry old man, sky is falling routine.

We needed some humor, it has been kind of tense around here.

In fairness, you could understand whyvhe is alarmed, especially after JTH informed everyone that somebody's "people" are trying to play the Grinch and steal everyone's Christmas.

Lol...this is why no one should take the religious right seriously, facts don't seem to be important. "One nation under God" was not a part of the pledge of allegiance until 1954 when a bill was passed in congress adding it. "In God we trust" did not appear on ANY money or official government logos until around 1956.

Last edited:
Reactions: BreakingCane
You're right....Scary Times....BOOOOOOOOOOO.

Again, sorry I know where you are coming from...It was way better for you before the 60's ruined everything..before the voting rights act...civil rights movement....when there was a chicken in every pot ...you know the rest.

If you read above I was one of the first people that said I don't have a problem with the Richt in this regard at all. I respect his beliefs and also the right of those not to believe.

What I am responding to is bunch of nonsense posted about everything being ruined after the 60's and your ridiculous scary times nonsense.

Angry? Lol... Funny how when anyone believes in God or speaks up he is viewed as angry or intolerant. What a joke

Last edited:
Did I say anything negative about his religion? Do a Google search and see what I was referring to about multiple allegations levied against him.

Allegation means that he is doing something wrong or forcing his religion on others.

If you are Jewish, why not read up on Mark's thoughts on the Holy Land and his commitment to supporting the Jewish people. If we had more of the Jewish and Christian leaders in the city of Miami doing what Mark does in Georgia, the city would be a much better place.

Sorry, but Christianity, is not a private belief. It is never to be forced or coerced, but it certainly is not private.

Whatever you believe, that man has done a lot of good. He is a way better servant to the city of Athens (namely the inner city and with at risk youth) than a ball coach. We should be so lucky to have him in our city.

What's hysterical is me envisioning what is likely happening at this very moment: ennis is furiously googling, initially sure that the liberal professor is wrong, and then sinking into his chair as his world is shattered to find out that, in fact, I am correct that the oft cited "Christian nation" phrases are relatively new things pushed recently for Cold War propaganda purposes lol.

Reactions: pimpstick420
Lets not forget "separation of church and football." Or is it "church and state"? I always confuse the two.

Reactions: kerem
Canerob, try Jewish. Having revealed this to you and after seeing your previous posts can you please limit your bigotry. Thanks buddy.
Nice edit of this post after I called you out, race baiter. You clearly were responding to someone else. I quoted it earlier before your dementia set in. Spineless cunny.

Nice edit of this post after I called you out race baiter.
It was edited because I accidently quoted Wak4law in my post. But hey, you're winning the message board war. That's all that counts.

Religious right?? Lol

Again, sorry I know where you are coming from...It was way better for you before the 60's ruined everything..before the voting rights act...civil rights movement....when there was a chicken in every pot ...you know the rest.
Funny how you bring in topics not even discussed or referenced like the civil rights movement, voting rights act... Both great things but go ahead and twist my statement. Typical bleeding heart liberal.By the way, I was not alive the majority of the sixtees, but nice try.

I agree when it comes to recruiting. But there have been many allegations on different occasions about his approach to spreading religion with the local communities in Georgia.
Could you please provide links to these stories?

It was edited because I accidently quoted Wak4law in my post. But hey, you're winning the message board war. That's all that counts.
Wrong. You clearly were responding to others calling out your idiocy and discussed specific religions. What does it feel like getting abused on here these last few weeks? Don't just yet.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the OP. My statement has nothing to do with other things he has said, I don't know what he has said in the past.

This OP is something that is a concern for me. Dabo Sweeney is another coach who really puts his religion out there and has been know to require players to attend religious services etc. I've heard Richt is similar. I don't care what the religion is, college and college football do not need to have religion involved with them. There was a story recently where Clinton Portis alleged that Jim Zorn gave preferential treatment to his players who shared his religious beliefs.

It's not a deal breaker by any means. Hell, Dabo is killing it with a religious foundation.

Bottom line is that religion is one of those things where you won't sway people's opinions so it is probably best kept out of the discussion.
One of my family members is on Dabo's coaching staff. There is a very strong Christian bent on that staff, however, they are very well versed and advised on how not to cross any legal lines. Players and coaches can remove themselves from any religious activity at any time without reprisal or retribution, including any team prayer before or after games. This is 100% sincere. Most Christian coaches are very well advised. They try to strike a balance of not hiding their faith and not imposing it on people that are not interested.

Reactions: kerem and e_cushing
See there you go. Not liberal at all.

You brought up how the 60's began the downfall of this country....I know the truth can be very scary.--scary times.

If you read above I was one of the first people that said I don't have a problem with the Richt in this regard at all. I respect his beliefs and also the right of those not to believe.

What I am responding to is bunch of nonsense posted about everything being ruined after the 60's and your ridiculous scary times nonsense.

Religious right?? Lol

Funny how you bring in topics not even discussed or referenced like the civil rights movement, voting rights act... Both great things but go ahead and twist my statement. Typical bleeding heart liberal.By the way, I was not alive the majority of the sixtees, but nice try.

Last edited:
What's hysterical is me envisioning what is likely happening at this very moment: ennis is furiously googling, initially sure that the liberal professor is wrong, and then sinking into his chair as his world is shattered to find out that, in fact, I am correct that the oft cited "Christian nation" phrases are relatively new things pushed recently for Cold War propaganda purposes lol.
Glad you are getting a good laugh and think you are so smart. This nation was founded on Christian principles and that is a fact. I don't need to google to know that "professor"... Go ahead and puff your chest out... Feel bad for you

OP. Have no fear. This board is open and liberal. They would have no problem whatsover if we hire a Muslim Coach who proselytizes the Muslim Religion to his players. After all there are many African Americans who identify as Muslim. So, a Muslim coach reading the Koran at breakfast would not be an issue with our open and accepting Cane brethren. I'm sure the Non-christian members of the BOT would be fine with it too.

3rd cane, with all due respect, you need a history lesson if you think this nation was founded on Christian principles. It was explicitly not founded on Christian principles. The notion of this being founded as a Christian nation is revisionist history that was propaganda cooked up in the 1950s in an effort to create lines of demarcation between us and communism.

Many of the early settlers came to this land seeking religious freedom as Christians. Oddly enough, the British Colonies founded this land as an outpost of a Christian Nation. While our laws were forged with the ideal of religious freedom and a clear separation of Church and State, the driving force behind our precepts, our laws and eventual constitution by our founding fathers was based in the commonality of their God.

Most of the early Christians in America were Deists, hence the strong penchant for a clear Sep of Church and State, none the less, they were Christians.

Spare me the Fox News crap, I'm not a republican, and my response to the OP has nothing to do with the 1950's, the pledge, the dollar bill or anything you would like to think as an apparent atheist. Hey, that's your right, tell the world about it, but you can take the notion that our settlers and the bulk of our founding fathers were not Christians this forging our country on Christian precepts.

I say all of this not to fade any other religion or belief. Thomas Jefferson and others fought for this very notion. What I am defending is the "first" and the "foundational" religion of this country should not cause a man a job just because he pea fully does not keep it a secret.

Wake you're looking worse with each post, go to the Declaration of Independence, and read second paragraph. There is really so much more evidence, but thought I'd make it easy for you. By the way, it was written before the fifties, just thought you should know.

It's scary that a persons faith would be held again him in the hiring process . He's allowed to be religious. And he's allowed to spread the word.
Universities are notoriously
Secular these days. So the OP does raise a valid issue. So long as he doesn't require his players to be in prayer groups he should be fine.
The principles of Christanity are universal . And should be shared with all .
Trying to convert Dr. Frenk however would probably be a mistake

UM and the city of Miami are one of the most diverse places and schools in the country. I have been seeing many articles where Richt has allegedly gone to great lengths to shall we say "strongly" raise awareness of his religious beliefs on to others which includes community and athletes. Athens and Miami are worlds apart. Does anyone think that this may not raise huge questions for UM?

Disagree on all that, but believe that Richt's strong faith and desire to do more with his life and platform might lead him away from football and into a different direction.

No, Richt's faith won't keep Miami from talking with him. Conversely, his faith might keep him from wanting to coach at the University of Miami right now. He just spent 15 years at Georgia; a job he took when he was 40 years old.

He's 55 now. He has four kids—two that he and his wife adopted from the Ukraine. His faith is everything to him and there's long been talk of missionary work or shifting his focus from football.

If it came down to it, would see Richt wanting less to do with Miami's liberal ways, than Miami not wanting anything to do with him because of his faith. Don't think either is the case, but if it came down to it, that's more likely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT