ADVERTISEMENT

Might Richt’s Attempts To Spread His Faith Raise Questions For UM?

lol get your point DiMaggio , but I find it funny the people who want to silence Christians, claim to be open minded, and tolerant.

Wake you're looking worse with each post, go to the Declaration of Independence, and read second paragraph. There is really so much more evidence, but thought I'd make it easy for you. By the way, it was written before the fifties, just thought you should know.

There's a whole lot of topics I know very little about and am willing to concede as much. This is not one of those topics. 3rd cane's post above is a more accurate statement in support of the notion, but it doesn't go much farther than that. There's a reason God was evoked in the Declaration of Independence, and it wasn't Bc we wanted to be founded as a Christian nation; it was because that document was a rhetorical plea to the world to recognize us a legitimate nation and engage us in trade etc and invoking a Christian God was rhetorically useful to achieve that end.

Reactions: kerem
What's hysterical is me envisioning what is likely happening at this very moment: ennis is furiously googling, initially sure that the liberal professor is wrong, and then sinking into his chair as his world is shattered to find out that, in fact, I am correct that the oft cited "Christian nation" phrases are relatively new things pushed recently for Cold War propaganda purposes lol.

Wow, keep pressing the agenda fella, this is not a debate on prayer in schools bro. Where are you? Berkeley?

All right, let's attempt to pull this thread back together as we are all Cane bretheren. No matter what God (or no God) you openly pray to, you should never ever be penalized for it.

In OP's defense, he was merely asking a question. What I don't like is that he titled it like it was happening or inferring that it should happen.

What's happening to freedom of speech and religion? But heck, if things keep going like they are now, I will be paying for some other kids college education, freedom of speech will be gone and you sure as heck won't be able to be a Christian Head football coach in Miami....

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
There's a whole lot of topics I know very little about and am willing to concede as much. This is not one of those topics. 3rd cane's post above is a more accurate statement in support of the notion, but it doesn't go much farther than that. There's a reason God was evoked in the Declaration of Independence, and it wasn't Bc we wanted to be founded as a Christian nation; it was because that document was a rhetorical plea to the world to recognize us a legitimate nation and engage us in trade etc and invoking a Christian God was rhetorically useful to achieve that end.
Or they believed in God and understood the importance of doing so... No more argument and I'll agree to disagree. God Bless

Wake to keep this thread from going on and on, I'll respect your opinion, and respectfuly disagree, you seem like a smart person, but I doubt we find common ground, plus I had to go to store, and I hate typing on the phone.

Reactions: wake4law_cane4life
Wrong... This nation was founded on Christian principles. Not all of the founding fathers were Christians but they believed in God and knew the importance of faith. "In God we trust" and " One nation under God" ring a bell? The downfall of our country began in the sixtees when we took God out of the schools so to speak and the country seems to be attempting to take God out of everything daily. Scary times

While I agree this world needs more good people, and true Christians are good people imo.....the removal of the bible from schools has nothing to do with the downfalls of our country. Its just a convenient parallel accuse by the religious right to fit their agenda.

Wow, keep pressing the agenda fella, this is not a debate on prayer in schools bro. Where are you? Berkeley?

All right, let's attempt to pull this thread back together as we are all Cane bretheren. No matter what God (or no God) you openly pray to, you should never ever be penalized for it.

In OP's defense, he was merely asking a question. What I don't like is that he titled it like it was happening or inferring that it should happen.

What's happening to freedom of speech and religion? But heck, if things keep going like they are now, I will be paying for some other kids college education, freedom of speech will be gone and you sure as heck won't be able to be a Christian Head football coach in Miami....

Berkeley? It can be argued (after Donna and Frenk) that Coral Gables makes Berkeley look like The Vatican. Sad.

Just because a person has a relationship with God does not mean he can not relate two people who do not. It is usually the atheist that has the problem . To say a man should not get the job because he is a Christian is small minded and racist .

You bet your ass there is. Its shows weakness by the knee jerk reaction some of you exhibited to take what I said as some kind of religious bashing. If the allegations are true, and you're fine with it, so be it. Many in this great country are not.
My point is that there are always allegations throw out there just like you did in this thread. Our search committee will do it's do diligence and if he is the right man he will get the job. I am sure that the University of Miami and it's committee is not a Christian organization so stop throwing your accusations and garbage out there and let them make the decision whether it be him or Butch or someone else. I am sure they know a hell of a lot more than someone like you that digs up garbage on the internet to try to taint someone. You have issues.

Disagree on all that, but believe that Richt's strong faith and desire to do more with his life and platform might lead him away from football and into a different direction.

No, Richt's faith won't keep Miami from talking with him. Conversely, his faith might keep him from wanting to coach at the University of Miami right now. He just spent 15 years at Georgia; a job he took when he was 40 years old.

He's 55 now. He has four kids—two that he and his wife adopted from the Ukraine. His faith is everything to him and there's long been talk of missionary work or shifting his focus from football.

If it came down to it, would see Richt wanting less to do with Miami's liberal ways, than Miami not wanting anything to do with him because of his faith. Don't think either is the case, but if it came down to it, that's more likely.
Never raised a question about his faith. It was about allegations levied against Richt for using UGA athletics to raise money for his ministry and allegations of pushing his faith onto players. Whether true, I do not know.

My point is that there are always allegations throw out there just like you did in this thread. Our search committee will do it's do diligence and if he is the right man he will get the job. I am sure that the University of Miami and it's committee is not a Christian organization so stop throwing your accusations and garbage out there and let them make the decision whether it be him or Butch or someone else. I am sure they know a hell of a lot more than someone like you that digs up garbage on the internet to try to taint someone. You have issues.
They're not my accusations. As for my issues, I am confident when I tell you that one of my many issues do not include identifying a class of people as "your people," as you so eloquently did in a previous post in this thread.

They're not my accusations. As for my issues, I am confident when I tell you that one of my many issues do not include identifying a class of people as "your people," as you so eloquently did in a previous post in this thread.
Non religious people - that try to ram their views down everybodys throat. The ones that complain about offending a 1 kid in a class by doing an Easter egg hunt. Political correctness is out of control and you come on here with unsubstantiated crap against Richt that you dug up on the internet that you admit that you don't even know if it true to push your agenda. Really I think it was to try to poison the well because as you say No Butch No Peace.

Reactions: BreakingCane
Why would that be an issue with the AA community? Boosters on the other hand might be an issue. I wouldn't mind Richt, but I just don't get the feeling he's coming. Not gonna waste my time thinking about it. I think it will be either Butch or Schiano. I don't see Chud or Pagano here, and Mario might be underwhelming even for this admin.

Non religious people - that try to ram their views down everybodys throat. The ones that complain about offending a 1 kid in a class by doing an Easter egg hunt. Political correctness is out of control and you come on here with unsubstantiated crap against Richt that you dug up on the internet that you admit that you don't even know if it true to push your agenda. Really I think it was to try to poison the well because as you say No Butch No Peace.
Tcane made sure kids in pre-school sit cross-legged, because sitting Indian-style is offensive.

Why would that be an issue with the AA community? Boosters on the other hand might be an issue. I wouldn't mind Richt, but I just don't get the feeling he's coming. Not gonna waste my time thinking about it. I think it will be either Butch or Schiano. I don't see Chud or Pagano here, and Mario might be underwhelming even for this admin.
It would not be an issue for the AA community. From what I have seen for the most part the AA community is very religious.

You got me JT. I was trying to push my agenda onto members of Canesport in the hope that someone copies my post and slips it under Frenk's door. Oh, oh, hide the kids and bolt your doors because Tcane58 might be coming for you.

As for "No Butch No Peace," put me on block jer..ff.

I'm not familiar with the OP. My statement has nothing to do with other things he has said, I don't know what he has said in the past.

This OP is something that is a concern for me. Dabo Sweeney is another coach who really puts his religion out there and has been know to require players to attend religious services etc. I've heard Richt is similar. I don't care what the religion is, college and college football do not need to have religion involved with them. There was a story recently where Clinton Portis alleged that Jim Zorn gave preferential treatment to his players who shared his religious beliefs.

It's not a deal breaker by any means. Hell, Dabo is killing it with a religious foundation.

Bottom line is that religion is one of those things where you won't sway people's opinions so it is probably best kept out of the discussion.
This!

UM and the city of Miami are one of the most diverse places and schools in the country. I have been seeing many articles where Richt has allegedly gone to great lengths to shall we say "strongly" raise awareness of his religious beliefs on to others which includes community and athletes. Athens and Miami are worlds apart. Does anyone think that this may not raise huge questions for UM?
No. By the way "separation of Church and state" is NOT in the Constitution. "Freedom to practice your choice of religion" is. For some reason there is an incredible misunderstanding as to what is actually in the Constitution. Regardless of your political position only the right to practice your religion without government interference is actually protected in our Constitution. So stop with the BS. if you do not like Richt -fine. But stop with the BS like your ant-Cuban attacks on Mario you racist and religion phobic SOB! aka card carrying......

UM and the city of Miami are one of the most diverse places and schools in the country. I have been seeing many articles where Richt has allegedly gone to great lengths to shall we say "strongly" raise awareness of his religious beliefs on to others which includes community and athletes. Athens and Miami are worlds apart. Does anyone think that this may not raise huge questions for UM?
"Separation of Church and state" is NOT in our Constitution. Freedom to practice the religion of your Choice is. I do not understand why people do not understand or even know this (you must have skipped civics class). In any case, whether you like Richt or not, that is not an issue. This weak ass attempt, like your anti-cuban attacks on Mario Cristobal prove you are a card carrying .......sob

If UM can survive the Political views of our past Presidents (just like any other university), and so many universities survive cheaters as HC.s who are hypocrites who take a job and leave as soon as they have the next one lined up or run programs full of scandal, then I'm sure UM can survive Marc's faith as it would be a huge asset to him in recruiting as it has been in Georgia. Some of these faith based principles might also rub off on our High School coaches which might not be a bad thing. Heck, if Marc's faith is the biggest worry you have about him, then his candidacy will be tough to beat.

"Separation of Church and state" is NOT in our Constitution. Freedom to practice the religion of your Choice is. I do not understand why people do not understand or even know this (you must have skipped civics class). In any case, whether you like Richt or not, that is not an issue. This weak ass attempt, like your anti-cuban attacks on Mario Cristobal prove you are a card carrying .......sob
Where did I say or imply that the words "separation of church and state" are in the Constitution?

As for your claim that I dont like Mario because he's Cuban, well, I think we know who the real "weak ass" is since I never implied nor mentioned anything about Mario's heritage. If your'e one of those who cant understand why others or myself don't want Mario, and thus you have to resort to classifying our dislike based on heritage, that's your issue, not mine.

If you do a quick Google search on "Mark Richt and religion" you'll see a bunch of articles of accusations.
Again... separation of church and state is NOT in our Constitution. Freedom of Religion IS. The Country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles by people whose ancestors, in many instances (including Catholics-see Maryland) were being persecuted. Reverse racist Kerem and you, Mr. Anti-Cuban, are as bad as the people you accuse of being biased. Wake is correct on the "In God We Trust" timing (roughly as it appeared earlier) however it does not change history. If you do not like Richt then say so for valid reasons not this BS. The PC bs by the extreme left and right in this country is getting out of hand. You need to read before you bloviate! and I do not mean bs internet conspiracy theories. Now you and Kerem go back to watching the Kardashians and her hubby...till the clown runs for prez!

OP. Have no fear. This board is open and liberal. They would have no problem whatsover if we hire a Muslim Coach who proselytizes the Muslim Religion to his players. After all there are many African Americans who identify as Muslim. So, a Muslim coach reading the Koran at breakfast would not be an issue with our open and accepting Cane brethren. I'm sure the Non-christian members of the BOT would be fine with it too.
If the Mo fo could coach.....who cares?

obviously since are constitution prohibits the government from establishing a national religion or endorsing one, we were not established as a Christian nation. However, we were most certainly established upon Judeo - Christian principles.

Prohibition of the establishment of a national religion means the state can't establish a church, it doesn't mean Govt and religion are seperate. In fact 29 of the 56 founding fathers had seminary degrees and started every session for prolonged periods of time in prayer.

In fact, Ben Franklin (not Christian), talks about prayers being heard and beseeching a public expression of faith.

Everyone has there right to believe whatever they would like and the beauty of America is u get to enjoy that life and freedom. But there is a HUGE difference b/t not being a Christian and denouncing Christianity!

No one (Christian or not) can ignore that our country was built on God. That is to deny/revise history. In fact there were over 1400 proclamations to prayer from Govt by 1815 (these again are historical facts not modern day opinions).

Again believe whatever you want, just don't misinterpret the Constitution or attempt to rewrite history to do so.

Thanks!

Nope... He would be a positive influence on his players and in the community. I've never seen where he has forced his faith on anyone else. He is bold in his faith which is to be admired not criticized. We need more Mark Richts in this world.
.... what he said! Why do some people (cough cough Liberals) thinks that religion is a bad influence ... when dealing with young people, it helps supply the guidance and structure ... what is the alternative?

I applaud him for his conviction to Jesus as Lord and Saviour. I don't care if it is Miami, Georgia, or anywhere else the man has been nothing but a positive influence and class. He would make a great pick as well as butch or mario.

3rd cane, with all due respect, you need a history lesson if you think this nation was founded on Christian principles. It was explicitly not founded on Christian principles. The notion of this being founded as a Christian nation is revisionist history that was propaganda cooked up in the 1950s in an effort to create lines of demarcation between us and communism.
It's actually founded on Judaeo-Christian there....Einstein. "Endowed by our "Creator". Etc, etc. Only one here revising is you Barack. After all these years, we all know you're limitless intelligence. Based on your smug, pseudo-intellectual, condescending, posts.

It's actually founded on Judaeo-Christian there....Einstein. "Endowed by our "Creator". Etc, etc. Only one here revising is you Barack. After all these years, we all know you're limitless intelligence. Based on your smug, pseudo-intellectual, condescending, posts.

Wake4law_cane4life

Here is a website with historical documents and real info on founding fathers and America. Read up on this:

www.wallbuilders.com

Wake you're looking worse with each post, go to the Declaration of Independence, and read second paragraph. There is really so much more evidence, but thought I'd make it easy for you. By the way, it was written before the fifties, just thought you should know.
the liberal professor, warping the youth. He's a genius to the young zombies, really makes them "question" things in society. But in reality just another insulated, bleeding heart, academic, stealing a tax payer funded paycheck in the safe, non competitive arena of a college.

the liberal professor, warping the youth. He's a genius to the young zombies, really makes them "question" things in society. But in reality just another insulated, bleeding heart, academic, stealing a tax payer funded paycheck in the safe, non competitive arena of a college.

You're on a UM board and don't even know that UM isn't a public school. I rest my case.

If you do a quick Google search on "Mark Richt and religion" you'll see a bunch of articles of accusations.
From a bunch of Blog writers? You could google anything and find someone that has a negative opinion on it. Find me someone who can show substantial evidence as to why it directly translates to winning and losing. Because it certainly hasn't hurt his recruiting.

You're on a UM board and don't even know that UM isn't a public school. I rest my case.
Not so fast........Wanna be Cardoso! UM, although a private institution, receives public funds from the Feds and the state. You should know that professor emeritus......

You are not far off.

Donna was extremely liberal there's no doubt, but I think she was conscientious and went out of her way to try and make accommodations for conservative students. I had a lot of respect for her on that. It's illogical to make any judgments on frenk with this issue yet.

Donna was extremely liberal there's no doubt, but I think she was conscientious and went out of her way to try and make accommodations for conservative students. I had a lot of respect for her on that. It's illogical to make any judgments on frenk with this issue yet.
easy there demon deac....... and leave those who do not agree with you alone.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT