ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Game 2 Noles vs. Canes - Post-Game

AtlantaCane

SuperCane
Sep 7, 2005
Port Orange, Florida
I thought I would start a new thread for the post-Game report on Saturday night's beat down and that is what it was. If U want to read through the game thread this entry is included in that thread as well. Thx! AtlantaCane!

Post-Game

Wow, where to begin. It was a butt-whipping tonight at The Light as we lose our first home series since March of last year to UVA. Until tonight, we had won 9 series in a row.

Also, let this stat sink in: We have now lost our annual series with FSU 6 years in a row. Hello football? We have also lost 4 of our last 5 games -- 2 of 3 at UVA and now 2 at home...and counting...to FSU. And don't think the Noles won't be coming after us with a vengence to get the sweep.

After the first two games of this series, Sunday will be a tall task.

No. 3 is going to earn his salary Sunday to rally his team so we don't get swept at home and whether we win or lose, figure out how to get his team to bounce back and starting putting up W's that will be desperately needed down the home stretch.

If we do get swept, how will that affect the psyche of this team heading into the ACC tournament and beyond? Hard to tell but these things, I think, simmer more with fans than with players and coaches.

Miami falls to 30-13, 15-8/ACC while FSU improves to33-12 and 16-7/ACC.

IMPACT OF THIS LOSS

In my opinion, the impact of this loss cannot be understated because of the ramifications that come with losing the series:

Late in the year
Against our last ranked opponent
Against our arch-rival
We will fall again in the rankings and farther from that desired top 8 spot for home field advantage in the post-season.

We had, had to have this game tonight to stay in contention for hosting a Super Regional. Is it possible the NCAA would send us to Gainesville for the umpteenth time to play the Gators who are a top 10 team and where we lost 2-3 games earlier this year?

Here's the final line score;

FSU 15 17 1
UM 5 13 3

Interesting to see the Noles got only 4 more hits than us, and hit only one HR, yet they score 10 more runs...

TURNING POINTS

I think U all will agree, the game was lost in the 1st inning when we load the bases with no outs and our 4-5-6 hitters coming to the plate and we strike out 3 straight times...

As I pointed out in another post above, the 2nd turning point, besides out 1st inning I think, is when Martin comes to the mound and settles his pitcher who then goes on to strike out the sides...

But then in the 2nd...we come right back with a triple, single, FC, double...2 runs in and runner on 2B with 1 out...we have the Mo, right? No, a pair of ground outs out an end to what should have been more runs...

Meanwhile, FSU scores:

5 in the 3rd, all with 2 outs..
7 in the 4th with 7 straight hits in 8 AB's including a fielding error where the batter is safe
3 in the 5th on a walk, single, WP, Walk, single, single...

Other than that we shut them out...in the other innings.

Again, just my opinion, but the third pivotal point that I see in this game, in addition to our 1st and 2nd innings at the plate was our D in the 3rd inning when with 2 outs, Chester drops the deep fly ball at the fence in LF...their guys are running with 2 outs on the bat's ping and the E allows FSU to clear the bases...all 5 runs score with 2 outs...

PITCHING

To me, the news here is that after this game Andrew Suarez may wish he had gone to the pros last year (actually, I don't think he does). But tonight he suffered hiss first loss of the year and couldn't even get out of the third inning...worst game of his career for earned runs and hits...

Suarez: (L, 4-1) IP 3.1 H 11 R 12 ER 10 BB 2 SO 3 Threw 66 pitches, 42 strikes
Otero: IP 0.2 H 2 R 3 ER 3 BB 2 SO Threw 27 pitches, 14 strikes
Abrams: IP 1.0 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 0 SO 0 Threw 19 pitches, 12 strikes
Honiotes: IP 2.0 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 2 SO 2 Threw 35 pitches, 19 strikes
Lepore: IP 2.0 H 2 R 0 ER 0 BB 0 SO 2 Threw 20 pitches, 13 strikes

Total for the game, our pitchers threw 167 pitches, 100 strikes

HITTING

U look at the final line score and U see we had 13 hits to FSU's 17 and U wonder, "How did we lose by 10?" Bottom line: We didn't get the timely hits with men on base and FSU did.

Also, note No. 3 changed his lineup around some...

Eusebio: 2-3 1 RBI
Barr: 1-4
Iskenderian: 1-2 1 R
Abreu: 1-3
Thompson: 0-3
Collins: 1-4
Lopez: 2-4 1 R
Kennedy: 1-2
Chester: 0-3 2 R

Substitutes (got 4 of the 13 hits):
Heyward:
2-2 2 RBI Probably his best night in a while, even in a sub role
Rosier: 0-1
Ruiz: 0-2
Smith: 1-2
Michelangeli: 0-1
Crocitto: 1-2 1R

L:OB: Miami 8, FSU 7

Attendance: 4, 650 best night of the season

NEXT GAME
Third and final game of the season is Sunday at 1pm. Enrique Sosa will be on the mound for UM. ESPN3 will have it on TV while WVUM and WQAM will have radio calls.

NEXT SERIES & BEYOND

There is no midweek game this week but next weekend the Canes hit the road to take on Pitt

Then:

5/6: we come back home to host Bethune-Cookman in a mid-week game
5/8-5/10: Host NY Tech in a weekend series
5/12: Host FAU in a make-up game cancelled due to rain last week
5/14-5/16: Host GE Tech

And the regular season is over!

May 20-24: ACC tourney begins in Durham at the home of the Durham Bulls.

IN CLOSING

I am sure there are some things worth mentioning that I missed but at this point it doesn't matter.

So....I think that's it for me, Caniacs. Let's hope our guys can snap out this slump and deny the Noles the chance to claim a sweep at The Light.

In the meantime, what say U about this game, this series, this season to date etc.?

See U Sunday!

Go Canes!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News