ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Reminder: Canes host FAU

AtlantaCane

SuperCane
Sep 7, 2005
Port Orange, Florida
Wed Update:

Baseball Caniacs, just a reminder we play FAU tonight at an earlier time than usual for a midweek game, 6 o'clock and it will be at The Light.

True FR P.J. Gates gets the start for Miami. Both teams are 3-0.

Below is a post from Tuesday with some stats on the Rutgers series + profiles on our new players and s bunch of other stuff. I hope to see U all later today for Game 4 of this young season.

Go Canes!

Greetings, Caniacs:

Since our boys have completed their first series of the season and we're less than 24 hours away from the first-midweek game at home against FAU, I thought this would be a good time to provide some team info for U covering the Rutgers series plus some info that I did not get to before the start of the season.

First, a quick look at who is gone from last year's team. I don't recall who left for the draft vs who left on their own or were asked to move on. note only 4 of the 13 players listed below were seniors. I think most if not all the underclass pitchers were drafted or opted to sign or try to sign with a MLB team.

Players Who Have Moved On

FR 1B: Connor Allen
SR LHP Jeb Bargfeldt
JR RHP: Frankie Bartow
SR OF: Michael Burns
JR RHP Andrew Cabezas
JR LHP: Daniel Epstein
JR INF: Romy Gonzalez
RS SR RHP: Cooper Hammond
JR OF: Kam Lane
SR RHP: Michael Mediavilla
RS SR INF: Michael Perez
JR OF: Daniel Reyes
SR OF: Hunter Tackett

As for this past weekend, let's take a quick look at who we did this year vs last season so these stats below show how the U performed against Rutgers last season vs this past weekend. Note our avg for SO's. P-U!

2018 - UM vs RU Series
Runs Per Game
: 7-8-5= 20
Hits Per Game: 7-10-11= 27
SO's per Game: 9-8-11 = 28*
E's Per Game:
1-0-3= 4

2019 - UM vs RU Series
Runs Per Game:
19-7-9=35
Hits Per Game: 20-9-10=39
SO's Per Game: 8-10-11=29* (RU also struck out 29x against UM pitching)
E's per Game:
1-2-1=4

Even though we got the sweep, we averaged almost 10 Ks a game and we finished with 1 more SO this year vs last year against RU.

Videos
Game 3: Post Game Presser Link: HC Gino DiMare (YouTube)*
Media Day Link: HC Gino DiMare (YouTube)
*Watch only the first 6:00. For whatever reason, UM edited first 6:00 back-to-back

We lost 13 players from last year and gained 13 new ones, FR/JUCO, this year for a team total of 31 players on the roster. IDK the maximum allowed.

Meet Our New FR Players (9) Bold=Profile Page
RHP: Slade Cecconi - 6-4, 212, Trinity Prep HS, Oviedo, FL

LHP/Utility: J.P. Gates - 6-1, 210, Nature Coast HS, Brooksville, FL
INF: Adian Del Castillo - 5-11, 205, Gulliver Prep, Miami
OF: Jordan Lala - 5-10, 175, Steinbrenner HS, Tampa
LHP: Bailey Mantilla - 6-1, 240, Plantation American Heritage, Hialeah
OF: Chet Moore - 5-8, 180, Satellite Beach HS, Hattiesburg, MS
INF/OF: Auston Pollak - 5-9, 185, Miami Country Day HS, Miami
OF/IN: Luis Tuero - 5-11, 180, Monsignor Pace HS, Hialeah
INF: Anthony Vilar - 5-10, 190, Westminster Christian, Miami

Meet Our New JUCO Transfers (4) Bold=Profile Page
JR OF: Chad Crosbie - 5-10, 195, Saddleback JC/Trabuco HS, Mission Viejo, CA
JR RHP: Tyler Keysor - 6-5, 225, Eastern Florida State College/Olympica HS, Windermere, FL
JR RHP: Mark Mixon, 6-2, 180, South Georgia State, Ponte Vedre HS, Ponte Vedra, FL
RS JR RHP: Brian Van Belle - 6-2, 180, Broward College, Archbishop McCarthy HS, Pembroke Pines, FL

This Week's Schedule
Wed: 3-0 Miami hosts FAU at The Light. GAME TIME: 6PM.
Fri-Sat-Sun: Canes travel to Gainesville to play top-5 Florida in Gainesville

The UM Baseball page just posted who will start for Miami Wed and it will be Slade Cecconi, a 6-4, 212 lb true FR RHP gets the nod. He is from Trinity Prep HS in Oviedo just north of Orlando. I think Coach G said during the Game 3 post-game presser he would decide between Cecconi and Greg Veliz, a 6-2, 200 lb Jr from Key West. So now we know.

For a preview of Wednesday night's game, go to: Baseball Ready for Midweek Meeting vs FAU

FAU is 3-0 after sweeping Cincinnati at home. Here is the link to the FAU@UM game preview.

One last thought:

Not to rehash last year, but according to Coach G, UM lost it's shot at the post-season in '18 because of how the team played their midweek games. In his words Sunday at the post-game presser: "We played terrible" and he emphasized that can't happen again on his watch.

2018 Mid-Week Games Overall
3-8

Vs In-State Programs

Vs FAU: (L 5-4 @ The Light, L 11-9 @ The Light, L 7-4 @ The Light,
Vs FIU: 0-2 (L 5-3 @ FIU, L 14-6 @ The Light)
Vs UCF: 1-1 (W 4-2 @ UCF, L 4-0 @ The Light)
vs FGCU: 2-1 (L 1-0 @ FCGU, W 8-1 @ The Light, W 7-` @ Te Light)
Vs: Stetson (cancelled bad weather after tied 1-1 in 5th) Hatters made it to the Super Reionals

Not to mention, we were 1-2 vs both FSU and UF.

Finally
I think that's it for now. I welcome your thoughts on what you think of this year's team to date. Obviously, we don't have a lot to go on so far because we don't know how good or bad Rutgers is. But what I saw was a team that was more aggressive at the plate, hit the ball in clutch situations and produced strong pitching. The number of SO's is a concern but they didn't cost us.

Until Wed at 6pm, God-willing, I hope to see many of U back here on CS. Until then, have a great night/day and as always...it's great to be....!

Go Canes!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News