ADVERTISEMENT

INFLATION

hawaiian cane

SuperCane
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2003
Honolulu, Hawaii
Everybody talks about it but ignores the biggest cause: Corporate concentration. You are being lied to. Prices are undeniably rising. In response, the Feds are slowing the economy, even though were are at least 4 million jobs shortof where we were before the Pandemic, and millions of American workers wont get the raises they deserve. Repubs didnt waste time hammering the Biden administration and democratic lawmakers on inflation. But I will NOT fall for their fear mongering. Everyone is ignoring the deeper structural reason for price increases: The concentration of the American economy is in the hands of a very few corporate giants with the power to raise prices. If the market were actually competitive, corporations would keep their prices as low as possible as they compete for customers. Even if some of their costs increased, they would do everything they could to avoid passing those costs on to consumers in the form of higher prices, for fear of losing business to their competitors. But its the opposite of what we are seeing. Corporations are raising prices, even though they are raking in huge profits.
Corporate profit margins hit record highs last year. According to Forbes, S & P 500 hits record high--amid upbeat 3rd quarter earnings. These corporations have so much marketing power they can raise prices without impunity.
A great example is shopping at COSTCO a few months back. Up until that time you could go to their meat section and without difficulty find US Prime Beef. Filet Mignon, NY Cut, Rib Eye. Now you wont find it at Costco. I honestly believe US Prime beef goes to the hospitality industry and 4* restaurants. Im sure prices have gone up at these places so if your a COSTCO or Walmart Customer you are forced to deal with US Choice, which is good but you are paying higher prices. So the Beef industry controls prices.

Everybody talks about it but ignores the biggest cause: Corporate concentration. You are being lied to. Prices are undeniably rising. In response, the Feds are slowing the economy, even though were are at least 4 million jobs shortof where we were before the Pandemic, and millions of American workers wont get the raises they deserve. Repubs didnt waste time hammering the Biden administration and democratic lawmakers on inflation. But I will NOT fall for their fear mongering. Everyone is ignoring the deeper structural reason for price increases: The concentration of the American economy is in the hands of a very few corporate giants with the power to raise prices. If the market were actually competitive, corporations would keep their prices as low as possible as they compete for customers. Even if some of their costs increased, they would do everything they could to avoid passing those costs on to consumers in the form of higher prices, for fear of losing business to their competitors. But its the opposite of what we are seeing. Corporations are raising prices, even though they are raking in huge profits.
Corporate profit margins hit record highs last year. According to Forbes, S & P 500 hits record high--amid upbeat 3rd quarter earnings. These corporations have so much marketing power they can raise prices without impunity.
A great example is shopping at COSTCO a few months back. Up until that time you could go to their meat section and without difficulty find US Prime Beef. Filet Mignon, NY Cut, Rib Eye. Now you wont find it at Costco. I honestly believe US Prime beef goes to the hospitality industry and 4* restaurants. Im sure prices have gone up at these places so if your a COSTCO or Walmart Customer you are forced to deal with US Choice, which is good but you are paying higher prices. So the Beef industry controls prices.
You mean like the regulations democrats love and unions that get work exclusively like liberals like doesn’t choke out competition and create inflation… hmmmm

Don't kid yourself. Governments have been debased their money for millenniums. Back when coins where actually silver money, they "clipped" the edges or actually melted the coin and mixed in some cheaper metal to increase the number of coins in circulation. Which by definition is inflation.

Merchants weren't stupid and realized that they needed to "raises prices" in the nominal sense to get the same amount of silver for selling their wares.

Our currency no longer is tied gold and silver thanks to FDR and Nixon and has no "real" value. It's total fiat currency. To my knowledge this has never been done before and is a total experiment.

When we need to debase our currency, we just press a button and release more. We have increased the money supply four fold since 2008.

This disaster has been 15 years in the making and has D and R fingerprints all over it. When it blows up, the party in power will be blamed.

Last edited:
What nonsense
There are rules relating to competition, mostly anti trust laws
Businesses are created to make a profit . Period
Not to provide jobs
Not to benefit society as a whole
Not to redistribute wealth
Not to provide heath care
Not to promote woke ideology

What Brandon was suggesting the other day about oil companies and the nearest family owned 7/11 is total absurdity.
Where were the democrats when Exxon was trading at $25 a share ? Cheering for a corporate failure
Capitalism still works so long as there isn’t an illegal scheme to restrict competition. If there is it should be investigated and prosecuted
But to believe that the nasty arm of our federal government should directly interfere with pricing or limiting profitability, is a Marxist ideology which has failed everywhere it’s been tried

Typical Liberal.

Blame businesses for being greedy. Damn that corporate greed which employs hundreds of millions of Americans and provides them with the ability to pursue life, liberty and happiness!

Inflation certainly wasnt an issue during Trump's tenure.

Neither was illegal immigration.

Or major spikes in crime in every major metropolitan area.

Or ridiculous spending on special interest groups, programs and foreign countries.

Oil and gas shortages.

Airline and travel crisis's.

Formula shortages.

Livestock inexplicably dying by the hundreds and thousands.

Those mean Tweets sure were a lot worse though weren't they?!?!? I mean... thank God peoples feelings aren't hurt anymore. We're WAY better off now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yep...people just don't understand how these things work. That's why I don't let politicians drive the narrative for me. I get my own unbiased information. The same with gas prices. People don't realize that oil was $120.00 a Barrel for months as prices were rising. Nothing to do with who is in office....but the problem is people believe what they want to believe. Not the truth. The truth is too inconvenient for them. It's more convenient following people who don't honestly give a shit about you....LOL.

I never understood this. These political parties have one objective. Your vote for power. That's it. They do not give a rats ass about you and will tell you anything you want to hear to get it. It's always going to be the lessor of the two evils for me. I don't trust political parties.

I do have concerns with democrats but at least they have a moral compass. They are not ready to blow everything up including their own interest for power. When you look at the Jan 6th hearing these people that have to tell the truth want a profile in courage....lol. Just for telling the truth and the thing that is so funny is the guy in Arizona that told us all what a POS Trump was said he would vote for him again. It's amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawaiian cane
Yep...people just don't understand how these things work. That's why I don't let politicians drive the narrative for me. I get my own unbiased information. The same with gas prices. People don't realize that oil was $120.00 a gallon for months as prices were rising. Nothing to do with who is in office....but the problem is people believe what they want to believe. Not the truth. The truth is too inconvenient for them. It's more convenient following people who don't honestly give a shit about you....LOL.

I never understood this. These political parties have one objective. Your vote for power. That's it. They do not give a rats ass about you and will tell you anything you want to hear to get it. It's always going to be the lessor of the two evils for me. I don't trust political parties.

I do have concerns with democrats but at least they have a moral compass. They are not ready to blow everything up including their own interest for power. When you look at the Jan 6th hearing these people that have to tell the truth want a profile in courage....lol. Just for telling the truth and the thing that is so funny is the guy in Arizona that told us all what a POS Trump was said he would vote for him again. It's amazing.
You must be kidding or just totally out of touch. Democrats and the term "Moral compass" should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Democrats have NO moral compass. NONE

You must be kidding or just totally out of touch. Democrats and the term "Moral compass" should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Democrats have NO moral compass. NONE

Remember ‘Cuomo is a real leader’ too…. LMFAO on a daily basis with CDWrong…..

Reactions: zeski78
Well I won't forget the 3 Trillion the tax breaks for the rich cost our economy, that's for sure.
If the government keeps the money, they spend it. If it goes back to the tax payer, they spend it. The larger economy doesn't care from whose pocket it comes. It has zero effect on the money supply.

@dolcane @ddimaggio @rkrantz @thedonaldWYO @lyndiola @IbisRules07 @KOWBOY88 The underlying problem isnt inflation per se. Its lack of competition. Corporations are using inflation as an excuseto raise prices and make fatter profits. Take the energy sector: Only a few entities have access to the land and pipelines that control oil and gas powering most of the world. They took a hit during the Pandemic as most folks stayed home. But they are more than making up for it now, limiting supply and ratcheting up prices. Chevron and Exxon have more than doubled their profits. Its price gouging. Or look at consumer goods. In april 2021, Proctor & Gamble raised prices on staples like diapers and toilet tissue, citing increased costs in raw materials and transportation. But P&G has been making huge profits. After some of its prices went into effect, it reported an almost 25% profit margin. Looking to buy diapers elsewhere? Good luck with that. The market is dominated by P&G and Kelley Clark
which---not entirely coincidentally--- raised its prices at the same time.
Another example: In April 2021 PepsiCola raised prices, blaming increased costs for ingredients, freight and labor. It then recorded $3B in operating profits through September. How did Pepsico get away with this without losing its customer base? Pepsi has only one major competitor--Coca Cola, which promptly raised its own prices. Coca Cola recorded $10B in revenues in the 3rd quarter of 2021, up 16% from the previous year.
Food prices are soaring, but half of that is from Meat, which costs 15% more than last year. There are only 4 major meat processors in America, which are all raising their prices and enjoying record profits. According to Reuters, meat packers' profits jumped 300% during the pandemic, and these companies enjoyed record profits.
GET THE PICTURE????? The underlying problem isnt Inflation.

@dolcane @ddimaggio @rkrantz @thedonaldWYO @lyndiola @IbisRules07 @KOWBOY88 The underlying problem isnt inflation per se. Its lack of competition. Corporations are using inflation as an excuseto raise prices and make fatter profits. Take the energy sector: Only a few entities have access to the land and pipelines that control oil and gas powering most of the world. They took a hit during the Pandemic as most folks stayed home. But they are more than making up for it now, limiting supply and ratcheting up prices. Chevron and Exxon have more than doubled their profits. Its price gouging. Or look at consumer goods. In april 2021, Proctor & Gamble raised prices on staples like diapers and toilet tissue, citing increased costs in raw materials and transportation. But P&G has been making huge profits. After some of its prices went into effect, it reported an almost 25% profit margin. Looking to buy diapers elsewhere? Good luck with that. The market is dominated by P&G and Kelley Clark
Another example: In April 2021 PepsiCola raised prices, blaming increased costs for ingredients, freight and labor. It then recorded $3B in operating profits through September. How did Pepsico get away with this without losing its customer base? Pepsi has only one major competitor--Coca Cola, which promptly raised its own prices. Coca Cola recorded $10B in revenues in the 3rd quarter of 2021, up 16% from the previous year.
Food prices are soaring, but half of that is from Meat, which costs 15% more than last year. There are only 4 major meat processors in America, which are all raising their prices and enjoying record profits. According to Reuters, meat packers' profits jumped 300% during the pandemic, and these companies enjoyed record profits.
When you quadruple the money supply you get more money. That is by definition inflation. More money buys more stuff increasing activity in nominal dollars. But those dollars don't buy as much stuff because they lose real value. 14 years of near zero interest rates cause people to go buy stuff with cheap payments. This adds to issue

Peter Schiff has been warning about this for 5+ years. The Fed will need to keep raising rates until activity slows. Expect another 75 basis point hike when they meet again in the middle of July.

Reactions: thedonaldWYO
When you quadruple the money supply you get more money. That is by definition inflation. More money buys more stuff increasing activity in nominal dollars. But those dollars don't buy as much stuff because they lose real value. 14 years of near zero interest rates cause people to go buy stuff with cheap payments. This adds to issue

Peter Schiff has been warning about this for 5+ years. The Fed will need to keep raising rates until activity slows. Expect another 75 basis point hike when they meet again in the middle of July.
And that kills the working class really everyone except the top 10% . And they refuse out of political agendas to admit they were wrong go back to the boarder and energy policies they were given get rid of all the regulations they slapped back on and watch Americans go to work and they would have kept their jobs by doing nothing except continue the success. Now their going to so try and divide this country even more because that’s all they know to do , lie accuse slander and dismiss anyone that disagrees and they alone can save you .

Got it.

So your still blaming corporate greed, once again, instead of accepting blame for putting 2 trillion dollars on the street.

Liberals. 🙄

Not only are you anti semetic, the post above shows what a complete & ignorant fool
Its people like you, that voted for this joke of an administration that need to own up to your asinine ignorant emotional IGNORANT comments
Piss off

Not only are you anti semetic, the post above shows what a complete & ignorant fool
Its people like you, that voted for this joke of an administration that need to own up to your asinine ignorant emotional IGNORANT comments
Piss off
Got it.

So your still blaming corporate greed, once again, instead of accepting blame for putting 2 trillion dollars on the street.

Liberals. 🙄
Corporate greed worldwide. Since the 1980s, when US govt all but abandoned antitrust enforcement, All American industries have become more concentrated. Most are now dominated by a handful of corporations that coordinate prices and production. This is true of banks, broadband, pharmaceutical companies, the airline industry, meat packers and yes, Soft Drinks. Corporations in all of these industries and more could easily absorb higher costs---including long overdue wage increases---without passing them on to consumers in the form of higher prices. But they arent. Instead, they use their massive profits to line the pockets of big investors and Executives---while both consumers and employees get shafted.
How can this structural problem be fixed? Fighting corporate concentration with more aggressive antitrust enforcement. Biden as asked the FTC to investigate oil companies, and he has appointed experienced antitrust lawyers to both the FTC and the Justice Dept. I do not fall for the fearmongering on inflation. The real culprit here is CORPORATE POWER!
A glimmer of hope recently happened in Las Vegas where a major Casino conglomerate gave each of its employees a $5000.00 bonus. Why cant our major corporations do the same? Im sure this stimulated spending by their employees and stimulated the economy in Vegas or wherever the employee chose to spend it. Because Major investors and Lobbyists in various industries have their long tentacles grabbing everything in sight to fatten their stomachs.

Socialism then... right?

Distribution of wealth would solve that problem for sure wouldn't it? Everyone gets an equal piece of pie no matter how hard you had work to earn it.

No flaws in that kind of system AT ALL.

Love when people blame corporations for their problems. Of course... complaining is all they do since they still pull thru a McDonalds drive thru... buy Nike shoes and Apple iPhones on a regular.

Corporate bastards!! If only they didn't make our lives so EASY and enriched.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT