ADVERTISEMENT

Karma has come back to bite me for giving cems and cd a hard time

SuperCane
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2005
So I’m going to newport, newbedford, providence, one of those north eastern cities near the boston area. I can’t keep them strait. It’s my wife's grandma’s 90th bday. My wife has us staying at her cousins house. Suppose to be this nice house on the water, a captains house or something like that (not real sure what that means). Probably a deck on the roof or something. Sounds great right? Well that’s when she told me her cousin is a major liberal. We’re talking legit donor. Double masks, the whole 9 yards.

I’m about to be a guest/fish out of water in a town I know nothing about that’s one of the most liberal areas in the country and be hosted for four days and nights by a uber liberal. Wtf?

here’s the kicker. I think if we win our game and providence some how pulls off an up set against kansas, I’ll be in new england for the miami providence game. You gotta be freaking kidding me.

cems, cd, miami mike, I’m sorry for ever giving you guys a hard time. May god have mercy on my soul. I’m a pretty patient guy but this is going to be a tough one. Pray for me. Family dynamic's are not something to be messed with when your a guest and a long ways from home. There’s dems which I’m around all the time but then there’s uber liberals.

Last edited:
Take out a MAGA hat from you luggage in front of your wife’s cousin. Then tell her she can call you Brandon with a wink 😉.
See how she reacts !

Last edited:

Good luck. I’m not sure how you define “liberal”. Sounds like a disease you might catch during your visit.

Im guessing that the “tripwire” for your relatives is not that you consider yourself a conservative. That’s fine. My prediction is that the word “Trump” spoken in any complimentary way will do you in.

Ex. Over Thanksgiving and Xmas, I visited with about 30 members of my extended family. Very little politics were discussed. If anyone had lauded Trump, however, the party would have been over. As voters, the score was 30-0 against Trump. Not even one person in this group supported him.

So, avoid the magic word and preserve peace in the family!

Good luck. I’m not sure how you define “liberal”. Sounds like a disease you might catch during your visit.

Im guessing that the “tripwire” for your relatives is not that you consider yourself a conservative. That’s fine. My prediction is that the word “Trump” spoken in any complimentary way will do you in.

Ex. Over Thanksgiving and Xmas, I visited with about 30 members of my extended family. Very little politics were discussed. If anyone had lauded Trump, however, the party would have been over. As voters, the score was 30-0 against Trump. Not even one person in this group supported him.

So, avoid the magic word and preserve peace in the family!
Sounds like you have a very educated and intelligent "extended family".

This is a rough situation especially compounding the hoops scenario on top of it. My brother lives in Boston and he and his wife and grown kids are Dems and as a Yankee fan I always go to Fenway with him rooting for the other team. Avoid the politics and be happy you do not live there. Bite the bullet for four days.

Reactions: grbcane
@6882 my advice is to compartmentalize. Don’t talk politics at all. Change the subject if it comes up.

Find your common interests and talk about that. You may be shocked to find where it leads. We’re all more alike than we are different if we give each other a chance.

There are plenty of guys here in the lounge that I don’t agree with at all on politics. And that’s OK. In the war room it has ZERO impact for me. I judge them on their passion and expertise as a Canes fan. Believe it or not, CD and I have even “liked” each other’s Canes related posts at times. 😂

Some good advice in this thread, if it doesn’t work just wear one of your wife’s bras, it will put you in the same mindset of your liberal host.

Reactions: KOWBOY88
Try to avoid politics in discussion. Enjoy your hosts and look for common ground to talk about. There are so many more interesting things more important to talk about. Be a Providence fan for the first game. If they win, be a humble but proud Canes fan. They will appreciate a Cane in their midst. I have done significant business in the New England area. We have more than enough to talk about. You will probably enjoy not having the political blah, blah. It is a beautiful area especially along the water. Take in the history and architecture. You will find awesome food. Go in with a positive attitude and you shouldl have a great time. Maybe even try to unplugging from reading and listening to politics. Nothing will change. When you get back Biden will just be a few more days in to being the worst president in US history.

Reactions: dolcane
Ignore politics and try to have a good time. Should work out.

My suggestion is for you to take me with you and lets show them Yankees how we do it on Canesport. We could entertain them with our political banter and leave the family out. What say you?

Went great! Awesome trip. No politics brought up. Masks at the air port was a convo brought up and before I could even say anything the rest of my in laws shot my host down. Most of my in-laws are republicans. Shocked at how many republicans are in the Dartmouth and new bedford and providence areThere’s literally a let’s go brandon store right next to the airport.

Host was awesome though and I couldn’t be more grateful for their hospitality. What also helped was a little in family drama that pushed my dem extended family towards my family which just made it easy for me to stay out of it.

. Not going to lie, it’s my wife's family and I just tried to get along with everyone and they made it really easy. Huge success.

The house we stayed at was awesome. We were literally in a different house. The guy had his big ass house and then there was like an apartment above the garage that was separated. As soon as we walked up to it, there was a plaque with a captains name followed by 1835. The house imo didn’t look all that nice, just really old and faided but then when you walk in it was top notch. They were so nice. Literally bought toys for my kids waiting for them when we got there.

we flew into providence and made a stop in new port to have lunch at this place called moring. Really special place and would strongly recommend. Later that night i had cod at the new bedford country club. We went into new bedford (we were staying in dartmouth) and went to this place where my wifes uncle use to be in charge of the boat yards. The restaurant couldn’t have been any more out of place. It was this unbelievable place called black whale or something. So nice and food was amazing but the surrounding area that my wife's uncle ran for like 30 years looked like a back drop to every crime series on net flix. Blew me away when he said that those boats that look like rust bucket’s go for millions and look pretty much new when they leave and only go out so many times a year.

just a different world up there. Dunkin donuts every where. Freezing cold. Tons of individually owned businesses aside from dunkin donuts. Very few chains.

we spent most of the time with family buy we did get to go to boston for a day. Took a driver because we knew what were getting into. Went to the science center for the kids. Then went to old smoke house for some bourbon and bbq because i needed a fix. Stoped at boston harbor hotel for a drink. At this point I’m pissed because the Kansas game is about to start. We walk trying to find a bar and there’s all these cool looking bars but they’re all closed. Boston has to be the biggest city of alcoholic posers. Finally we get to cheers. With my stroller, two kids, wife and sister in law we maneuver our way to a table in the very back and catch the last half of a game that I clearly could have done with out.

My suggestion is for you to take me with you and lets show them Yankees how we do it on Canesport. We could entertain them with our political banter and leave the family out. What say you?
I’m down. Let’s make it a trip. Next time. These yankees really aren’t bad. Not the ones I was around anyways. That being said, if you think 95 is bad in south fl, my god. Worst roads I’ve ever seen. Oh I left out the part where my sister in law brought her chawawa that shit and pissed all over the place that I got stuck having to play stanley steamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: cems52
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT