ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: The problem with Miami today - No clear Identity

wsimmons99

SuperCane
Jun 27, 2012
Great article on the State of the U Gary & Co. I just re-watched the two 30 for 30 documentaries on the U with my nephew. Two things jumped out 1) our program had a clear identity that either attracted talent or fans or not, but it was absolutely clear about who we were; 2) my teen-aged nephew just didn’t “get it”...something wasn’t clicking between the 30 for 30 and the games that we usually watch together...he didn’t get why I am a huge U fan and not an Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson or Oregon fan!

This is only my opinion (I think I’m still entitled to it, even on Canesport), but it’s hard to figure out what the Miami brand identity is...it’s definitely not “the bad boys” of college football anymore - picture Shaq Quaterman coming off of a plane leading an entire team dressed in camouflage! Ain’t gonna happen.... I don’t think it’s about “swagg” anymore either - when we tried to do those pre-game fights in the last few years, it just didn’t look “right”, it looked liked forced bravado/swagg.

Again, just my opinion, but when we solve the brand identity problem, we’ll solve the culture problem, which flows into the winning problem and into the recruiting problem. The Turnover Chain and the Nore Dame game a few years ago are good starts, but we need more of an identity that’s authentic, relevant and uniquely Miami...This isn’t an Xs and Os fix, this is pure identity and culture first. What exactly does the TNM stand for????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News