ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions from a Georgia fans Gene and DarinDawg on Richt- No QB Dev or O Line

JTH007

SuperCane
Jan 4, 2014
CANESPORT
UGA fan here, not trying to be disrespectful, but simply want to share my 2 cents.

CMR had exactly the same issue with us that the Canes are having now.

His biggest problem was that he was a terrible X&O coach. Simply put, his offense always underachieved. He had future NFL stars like Matthew Stafford, Knowshon Moreno, AJ Green, Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, and he was not able to translate them into scores. It doesn't really matter who calls the plays. With or without him calling plays, we pretty much had the same lame offense.

His biggest asset was that he could flat out recruit. He got Stafford out of Texas, Moreno from NJ, Green from S. Carolina, Sony Michel from FL, and Gurley from N. Carolina. That was in addition to most of the top players he got from Georgia. His recruiting success gave us hopes and excitement, and kept his job. But eventually, we realized that recruiting and winning is not the same thing.

UGA fans were divided when he was fired. Many wanted to keep him because he was a "good" man. But many of us believed that being a "good man" is a good thing but not the measuring stick. Winning was. Winning championship was. When he was first hired, the biggest thing on his resume was that he was believed to be the best QB coach. (He produced two Heisman QBs while he was with FSU). And this turned out so wrong. He was a terrible QB coach. The reason he was eventually fired was he botched the qb position. How's the Canes' qb situation now?

If Canes are happy with being top 25 program and not getting into NCAA trouble, CMR is the perfect choice. He will give Canes 7-8 wins consistently, maybe occasional 10 win like last year. He will represent the Canes well. If that's what you want, I don't blame you. Keep paying him.

If you want next Saban or Swinney, or anything close, forget CMR. He is not.

Another post - interesting on O-Lines

Another Dawg fan here, just validating what Gene has said; To me, the biggest issue with MR was that he never seemed to care much about the OL or OL recruiting. He even made the statement once in a presser that they don't have to have OL that 'just goes out and destroys people...' as long as they are serviceable and can tangle people up and keep them off the QB, etc. When I read that statement, it only confirmed to me what many had tried to tell me for years; MR really hasn't got a clue about how to build a dominant, elite program. The first thing KS has done when arriving on the UGA campus is he started recruiting big, strong fast OLmen and lots and lots of them. MR would get maybe 2 or maybe 3 on a good year and maybe 1 of those would be a 4 star type guy. Aside from John Theus, he never got a 5 star stud like Bama and Ohio St get every year. Now KS has gotten 4 or 5 every class and they are all 4 and even 5 star players. He has learned, from his days at Bama, that with a big, strong, athletic, DEEP oline, you can eventually wear down and beat anybody.
So, anyway, sorry to add more flame to your misery, hope things turn around for ya, I truly do. You are an enemy of GT and Clemson and my philosophy is, 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend...' So as far as I'm considered, you guys are our friends!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News