ADVERTISEMENT

SAT. NIGHT BASEBALL GAME 2: UM Hosts VT - Canes win 1-0, take series!

AtlantaCane

SuperCane
Sep 7, 2005
Port Orange, Florida
Final Update:

Well, we won but not by much...after a 4-3 win Friday tonight's game was 1-0...

We hit into 4 Dps...pulled another major boneheaded play on the basepaths that cost us a run and keep VT close...

Pitching won this game for us, thanks to Brian Van Belle who really stepped up and shut VT out for 8 innings...in fact, in the 8th, he SO a better to end the inning with the tying run at 3B.

Offensively though, what a stinker...

...even so...we get our 30th W of the year...and take this series!

Final:
VT 0
UM 1

Final Linescore:
VT 0 4 0
UM 1 5 0

MEDIA INFO

Game Recap: Van Belle is Brilliant as No. 24 Canes Beat VT, 1-0 (UM Link)
Final: Box Score (UM Link)

SEASON RECORD
UM improves to 30-14, 13-10/ACC...VT falls to 24-19, 7-15/ACC.

PITCHING
Brian Van Belle (6-2)..what a yeoman's job...he gets the W! Allowed only 4 hits, 2 BB & SO 8!
Gregory Veliz (7) He gets the Save!

HITTING
Toral...drives in the lone run on a SAC FO to RF...

DEFENSE
We didn't have an E in the game
But we hit into 4 DPs

MORE STATS
SO: We Kd 5x, they SO 9x
BB: We walked 10x, they walked only 2x
LOB: U 9...VT 8
E: None by either team
Pitching: We used only 2, VT 5

ATTENDANCE
Box score doesn't list it

THEY SAID IT (Courtesy: UM)
Coach G on Starter and Winning Pitcher Brian Van Belle:
"He just gotten better and better," head coach Gino DiMare said. "He's an extremely competitive kid, a very confident kid and we are very fortunate to have him on our team."

"Coming in, you don't know who are going to be your guys," DiMare said. "You may have an idea, but new guys you've got to see where they fit. It was one of those things where he just got better and better and better. At the end of the day when you have to make your announcement of your rotation, it was like, 'this guy has got to pitch for us.' He earned the right to pitch for us and I think everybody in our locker room would agree with that."

Brian Van Belle Says He Wanted to Make Up for His Last Game:
"Last outing, my command was probably the worst it has ever been in my entire life," Van Belle said. " I told myself I never wanted to feel like that again and I held myself accountable and knew I had to bounce back this week. It was kind of brewing in inside me all week because I knew today had to be a big one."

Van Belle on His Last Strikeout vs VTs No. 3 Batter KerryCarpenter and a Runner on 3rd:
"I faced Kerry last year in junior college and he hit a home run off me on a hung change-up," Van Belle said. "Every time I faced him there was kind of a fire lit in me and I knew I wanted to get him. It felt good."

Van Belle on Giving up a Hit and a Walk with 1 Out in the 8th:
"I told myself to finish it," Van Belle said. "I just wanted to put the team in the best position to win because I know these next couple of weeks are huge for us. Our goal is to host here, so winning as many series as we can and sweeping is going to put us in the best position to do that."

The Strength of Van Belle's Outing was Throwing Strikes:
"He was getting ahead on hitters and that was the biggest thing tonight," catcher Michael Amditis said. "He was throwing all of his pitches for strikes and the breaking ball was down with two strikes and they were chasing. It was just a great night all-around for this guy."

Coach G Was Happy to see Closer Gregory Veliz Come in and Get the Save:
"Greg is an intense guy, but he needs to control his emotions on the mound and he looked very calm out there," DiMare said. "Obviously it is the most crucial part of the game and he's got the ball in his hand and it made me feel very calm just to look at his demeanor on the mound. He's throwing more strikes, he's getting ahead of hitters and he has a wipeout slider so that makes that pitch even more dangerous. The more success he has, the more confidence he gets and it's a win-win in every situation."

Game 3
Sunday at 1 pm! RHP Tyler Keysor will start for Miami!

Go Canes!

-----------------------------------
Good evening, Caniacs!

We're back at The Light tonight to see if our Canes can win the weekend series against Virginia Tech. We won a thriller last night coming from behind in the 8th inning to score 2x to win 4-3 after being stymied by their P Ian Seymour for better than 8 innings.

Sometimes, U get lucky and sometimes, good teams find a way to win. Last night was a combination of both.

TEAM RECORDS
Miami (29-14, 12-10 ACC), VT (24-19, 7-15 ACC). We have now won 1 more game than all of last year.

RPI

We are currently ranked No. 14 this week, same as last week.

PITCHING

Right-hander Brian Van Belle (5-2, 3.83 ERA) will face off against LHP Chris Gerard (6-6, 4.38 ERA)(Courtesy: UM)

PREGAME MEDIA INFO
Watch: ACCN * Extra (Watch ESPN Link)
Listen: WVUM Radio (WVUM.org) & 790The Ticket (790 Link)
Live Stats: UM vs VT (UM Link)
Series Preview: No. 24 Canes Host Virginia Tech at The Light (UM Link)
Game Notes: UM vs VT (UM PDF)

BTW, DID U SEE THIS?

The Canes wore the first-ever, special edition baseball jerseys (UM Link) utilizing repurposed and upcycled materials created in partnership with Parley for the Oceans. To raise awareness of marine plastic pollution and champion the Parley AIR Strategy for solutions (Avoid, Intercept, Redesign), the new, ocean-inspired adidas x Parley Miami baseball uniforms debuted on Friday night. (Courtesy: UM)

That's it...back for the 1st pitch.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News