ADVERTISEMENT

Say what you will, but Andy Lopez showed integrity by stepping down.

CANES!!!

SuperCane
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2010
Lopez, Arizona's baseball coach, and former Gator coach, retired recently. Let me say, I'm not a fan of his or of the teams he coached. I'm a Cane through and through. But when I read an article about why he stepped down, I was impressed. Physically, there were issues nagging him, namely a heart attack a couple years back. He tried to make a recovery, and felt he knew how to get things fixed but came to realize he just didn't have the energy to get the job done. When he first took the the job he had said, "This is Arizona, we should be good." And he did win one. But more recently they have not produced so he resigned.

I wish Golden would take a take a page out of Andy Lopez' resignation notebook. Lopez told the AD at Arizona, "I'll never be a burden to this university. No way. I want to put a good product out there with good people. I'll get it fixed or I'll be out of here." He said, "I'm not a guy that they are going to have to chase off." I can respect his Integrity.

If this season proves to be the dud that I predict, I wish Golden would just step aside and admit that he gave his best and it wasn't up to Miami's standard. An apology would be in order. No, I'm not ignoring how he stuck with us through the cloud. I'm referring to his stubborn ways - unwilling to make adjustments when the whole nation can see they are needed. His unwillingness to fire his friend and bring in a solid, proven DC. His unwillingness to adapt his coaching philosophy to fit the program at Miami. Yes, he should apologize after this season and then walk.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News