ADVERTISEMENT

So Much for NFL Ratings Decline Being About Racism

There is an issue that has not been brought up which is beyond racism/kneeling etc. Kaepernick was quickly becoming irrelevant in the league and he knew he was going to get cut, so why not polarize yourself? What better way to bring attention to yourself (any publicity is good publicity).
I remember when McKinnie was brought in by the Dolphins to replace Jonathan Martin. Within a week of McKinnie signing with the dolphins all of the sudden (soon to be cut) Martin started bullygate? I'm not saying this is their true motives(only they know), but some of the points I bring up might be more selfish of these individuals than bringing awareness to a cause.
All I am saying is had these individuals been killing it on the field and waiting for big contracts, would they have done it??

Kaepernick grew an Al-Qaeda beard and turned against the US Flag because he started dating a Muslim woman. He went to the U of Nevada (Reno) and I live in Reno and watched him play many, many times. I also met him a few times at fundraisers. The guy has the brains of a low-grade houseplant and was easily influenced by his new mate. He may now believe he was defending Black Americans, but this is as much bullshit as your statement that he did it to bring attention to himself.

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
Lol people mad at African Americans protesting an anthem that wasn’t meant for them in first place. You can take that last line out all you want but facts remain the origin of that song was not meant for any race other than Whites.

Tell that to all the white and black men that died at Gettysburg for the North. As you recall, our civil war was to free blacks from slavery, which ultimately lead to the development of a nation in civil rights that elected a Black American as President, twice.
PS Your entire goal with your statement was to start racial turmoil on this site. Not standing up for the anthem is wrong, for both black and whites. Grow up and get a life and stop preaching the "poor me" bullshit. I have plenty of successful and rich black men that I know and I never hear this type of crap from them because they realize in America you can get ahead and have a great life if you create value for others, in whatever you do.

I am amazed that not one person has commented on the 2 points I created in my opening thread.

How can racism be put forth as the reason for boycotting NFL games when the NBA (where all players stand for the anthem & which has a higher % of black players) see their ratings SIMULTANEOUSLY going up at a greater rate than the NFL's are going down?

Point #1- When the truth is uncomfortable to admit, people will tend to find another explanation.

Point #2- Occam's Razor- When there is more than one answer, the correct answer is usually the simplest one.

Biggest actual problem in the NFL is the atrocious quarterback play--there are very few really good quarterbacks like Brady and only a couple in the pipeline. Colleges no longer produce NFL-style qb's and that's a real problem. Because of poor qb play, probably half the teams in the league are borderline terrible. Add to that ticket cost, replays, constant delays in the game, vastly superior TV's now, etc, and you have a bunch of problems, some of which can't be solved. But now you bring to that mix, the injection not only of politics, but racial politics, and it's the last straw for a lot of folks...a lot. Wishing that wasn't the case, or denying the fact by saying it's an excuse that doesn't make sense, doesn't change the reality--many, many, many pro football fans have been turned off by the anthem protest. It's not just that they may or may not agree with whatever the hell it is that is being protested--it's that they watch sports to get away from life, away from the news, away from problems. They don't want the distraction and it turns them off. Now, if none of the other problems existed, they would probably put up with it. But fact is the other problems do exist and the anthem protest pushed a lot of people over the edge. It's just common sense business. IF you are black and own an ice cream shop in a white neighborhood and 90% of your customers are white, and you hire an energetic young guy to serve ice cream, but he starts wearing a"white people suck" T-shirt, you would tell him to lose the shirt or he would be fired. Why would you risk losing customers? You would tell the kid he can do what he wants on his own time, but on yours, he keeps his politics to himself. NFL players are pros, they are in a business, and they should act like pros...common sense.

Reactions: 001nccane
The game is declining because of all the rule changes. People are sick of the penalties, all the replays, which they don't even get right most of the time, and the lack of defense. The game has become very one dimensional over the last 5 to 10 years.

Reactions: JMac97
For every person who says it’s disrespectful to the military or vets, I can find an enlisted or vet to say they don’t feel disrespected. Kap started kneeling after talking with vets because he didn’t want to be perceived as disrespectful to the military/vets.

Personally, I believe the flag is a representation of what the country can/should be, which is why I stand and feel ppl should stand. However, I also believe that those who boycotted or get their panties in a twist over the protests are way too sensitive.

Nothing to see here. The ratings will bounce back once the NFL accepts Diddy's and Kaepernick's bid to buy the Carolina Panthers. Of course this will happen immediately after Lavar Ball gets his pro basketball league up and running.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
I am amazed that not one person has commented on the 2 points I created in my opening thread.

How can racism be put forth as the reason for boycotting NFL games when the NBA (where all players stand for the anthem & which has a higher % of black players) see their ratings SIMULTANEOUSLY going up at a greater rate than the NFL's are going down?

Point #1- When the truth is uncomfortable to admit, people will tend to find another explanation.

Point #2- Occam's Razor- When there is more than one answer, the correct answer is usually the simplest one.

Bc I think most intelligent ppl can see that it’s not racism. The media/social media represent a vocal minority on both sides. Most in the middle would probably see the decline in ratings due to poor product on the field.

Also, while there is a decline in ratings, the actual viewership of NFL vs NBA is no comparison. Im actually a semi-NBA conspiracy theorist in that I believe the spike in NBA ratings is manufactured Daily Active Viewers because the TV rights for NBA will not be able to support the increase in salaries by the time their next CBA is negotiated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...en-on-christmas-day?__twitter_impression=true

It is always interesting to me that when some people cannot accept what is obvious, they always seek to find another reason. Despite the fact that many people have stated they were boycotting the NFL due to the disrespect of the flag and the National Anthem, many other people claimed it was simply an excuse to demonstrate their racism. They could not accept Reason #1, so they claimed it was because of Reason #2.

Now, we have the linked article from Bloomberg News. A major sports league with a much higher % of black athletes sees their ratings soar, at exactly the same time NFL ratings are tanking. Uhhhh... sounds like some folks need to find reason Number #3, or better yet, face up to Reason #1.

The most interesting thing here, to me, is that while there are many politically outspoken individuals in the NBA, the league has a hard and fast rule about standing for the national anthem. Political and social opinions cannot be expressed while on the court. Entertainment only.
The NFL has become stale because there's no innovation. College is far better because you see different styles of football being played. Triple option, spread option, Air Raid, dynamic quarterbacks, new football schemes actually being implemented. The NFL is so boring now. Every team basically runs the same offense with the Patriots being the only innovative franchise, able to plug and play using different schemes to exploit the defense. Where are the true rivalries and legendary players? Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Brees are not enough.

I wonder how Redzone is tallied in terms of ratings. I also wonder if they try and quantify the insane amount of people that watch the NFL online for free. Most people I know do not have cable anymore and watch NFL games online for free. There are so many factors involved that it is hard to pinpoint one. People that try to pretend NFLs decline in viewership is based around one single issue lack some basic common sense. With that being said, I used to watch a good amount of NFL games, and I think I watch maybe 3 or 4 this season. My reasoning, I just don't really care to watch it on Sunday's as there is too much to do.

The far left hijacked the NFL, first with concussions and rule changes related to them.
Secondly anti Military far left. anti Police far left go hand in hand.
So, you get one half of the people pissed , there goes the ratings and ticket sales.
Sports were always just sports for fun to get away from the stress of everyday life ' It will be hard to put this whole thing back in the bottle,
NFL was very dumb, come done hard, and just play football, suicide move by the NFL in my view. NFL's solution pay the commissioner who screwed up, 20 million and extend his contract, genius

I wonder how Redzone is tallied in terms of ratings. I also wonder if they try and quantify the insane amount of people that watch the NFL online for free. Most people I know do not have cable anymore and watch NFL games online for free. There are so many factors involved that it is hard to pinpoint one. People that try to pretend NFLs decline in viewership is based around one single issue lack some basic common sense. With that being said, I used to watch a good amount of NFL games, and I think I watch maybe 3 or 4 this season. My reasoning, I just don't really care to watch it on Sunday's as there is too much to do.
Nobody is saying the anthem is the sole issue....but it is a major issue when the ratings for the NBA are soaring. While some networks for college football have declined in ratings other college tv networks have had record success this year. With the NFL, every television network has taken a nose dive. Just take a look at the online polls as to why many arent tuning in on Sundays. As one of the posters said, many of us arent outraged by the disrespect towards the anthem.....because to each their own and it comes with consequences.......rather we're just tired of hearing about it. Sports is supposed to be that three hour window of escape from politics, etc. Now you see what happens when certain people try to force it on us.

Last edited:
False accusations of racism is the bedrock for the mental midges who can’t come up with anything of intellectual value to articulate any argument of merit.

Support Trump- Racist
Support The Wall- Racist
Support Christianity (I am not religious)- homophobe
Support Extreme Vetting- xenephobe
Support Republicanism- Bigot

^^^ Liberalism is the AIDS of political ideologies and those two who harbor its tenets suffer from a disease of the mind.

Some of the most vitriolic racism on this Board comes from the Blacks who summarily conclude without any basis that anyone who opposes Kapernick and national anthem proststs is a KKK member who hates all minorities. This type of thinking is why the liberals are a disgusting political group of human beings- They seek to roboticize everyone into uniformity of thought speech and conduct, and everyone who doesn’t subscribe to this cesspool ideology is every named label that I referenced.

Reactions: Cool Runnin'
Wonder what these players would be doing if there were no athletic scholarships or NFL jobs. Maybe they could move to Canada or France where there is no bad National Anthems.

These leaches suck up all the great things of this country and then bitch had bad everything is to them.

GTFOH

Reactions: Cool Runnin'
False accusations of racism is the bedrock for the mental midges who can’t come up with anything of intellectual value to articulate any argument of merit.

Support Trump- Racist
Support The Wall- Racist
Support Christianity (I am not religious)- homophobe
Support Extreme Vetting- xenephobe
Support Republicanism- Bigot

^^^ Liberalism is the AIDS of political ideologies and those two who harbor its tenets suffer from a disease of the mind.

Some of the most vitriolic racism on this Board comes from the Blacks who summarily conclude without any basis that anyone who opposes Kapernick and national anthem proststs is a KKK member who hates all minorities. This type of thinking is why the liberals are a disgusting political group of human beings- They seek to roboticize everyone into uniformity of thought speech and conduct, and everyone who doesn’t subscribe to this cesspool ideology is every named label that I referenced.

It’s astonishing that you are able to condemn those who label all republicans for being the same, and yet in the same post make blanketing statements about liberals. Rhetoric such as “Liberalism is the AIDS of the mind” is just as toxic as those who make false allegations of racism.

Reactions: Quise19
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...en-on-christmas-day?__twitter_impression=true

It is always interesting to me that when some people cannot accept what is obvious, they always seek to find another reason. Despite the fact that many people have stated they were boycotting the NFL due to the disrespect of the flag and the National Anthem, many other people claimed it was simply an excuse to demonstrate their racism. They could not accept Reason #1, so they claimed it was because of Reason #2.

Now, we have the linked article from Bloomberg News. A major sports league with a much higher % of black athletes sees their ratings soar, at exactly the same time NFL ratings are tanking. Uhhhh... sounds like some folks need to find reason Number #3, or better yet, face up to Reason #1.

The most interesting thing here, to me, is that while there are many politically outspoken individuals in the NBA, the league has a hard and fast rule about standing for the national anthem. Political and social opinions cannot be expressed while on the court. Entertainment only.

Joer - your 1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive. We get it, you don't care about he issue being protested and you choose to frame it in a way in opposite to the protest itself. But its convoluted to say that NBA popularity disproves racism at the root of the NFL issues.

Why is this on this board? No one will engage in an actual discussion, hell the very posit you made belies any true interest in intellectual honesty but instead is at best a confirmation bias.

Rest assured, you will get many likes and much support. The tribalism is real in this country.

It’s astonishing that you are able to condemn those who label all republicans for being the same, and yet in the same post make blanketing statements about liberals. Rhetoric such as “Liberalism is the AIDS of the mind” is just as toxic as those who make false allegations of racism.

No it’s not. Liberals are the champions of the ignorant, intolerant, and insufferable. They are as much of a domestic terrorist threat to our Constitution, private capitalism, and nationaist pride, as Isis is a foreign threat.

No it’s not. Liberals are the champions of the ignorant, intolerant, and insufferable. They are as much of a domestic terrorist threat to our Constitution, private capitalism, and nationaist pride, as Isis is a foreign threat.

We’ll just agree to disagree on liberalism then lol. However, without setting you off on an anti-left wing tirade, I do believe there is a current trend of fake racist events (nooses, writing the n-word, Michael Bennett) that are increasingly be debunked. Constantly shouting racist is divisive and is detrimental to any type of productive discourse.

That is a myopic viewpoint, but carry on

Tell that to all the white and black men that died at Gettysburg for the North. As you recall, our civil war was to free blacks from slavery, which ultimately lead to the development of a nation in civil rights that elected a Black American as President, twice.
PS Your entire goal with your statement was to start racial turmoil on this site. Not standing up for the anthem is wrong, for both black and whites. Grow up and get a life and stop preaching the "poor me" bullshit. I have plenty of successful and rich black men that I know and I never hear this type of crap from them because they realize in America you can get ahead and have a great life if you create value for others, in whatever you do.

you post is dreadfully poor. I think you mean well but it is problematic. While we agree that the murderous traitors in the south were sedentinist that killed more actual American soldiers than any other foreign enemy in history, you gloss over the failed reconstruction and reestablishment of systemic oppression that was literally codified for a full century.

Not standing up for the anthem is no more wrong than raising a fist on the Olympic podium, refusing to fight the Viet Cong or marrying a white woman and transporting her across state lines (Jack Johnson for the under-informed).

I'll with this; if you believe systemic problems to have ended at an election, you don't understand the nature of them and your ignorance, willful or not perpetuates them.

You offer Obama as some intrinsic proof, 2 fun exercises in semantics.

1. Were there any black members of the Guns and Roses, if so was it Slash? Given the Obama definition (hint Slash is decidedly more black American, see Megan Markle as well).

2. Is Obama the 44th white president? If not why?

Reactions: Quise19
Bottomline, most folks watch sports for ENTERTAINMENT, NOT POLITICS... it's the last thing I want to see or hear about. Now we have athletes making their POLITICAL views known as part of the game. I pay $$$ to be entertained, not to be preached too by some athlete or sports commentator. Sorry, they can STFU and do what they are being paid to do, play the game or comment on it. On their own time, I don't give a F what they do, that's their own business. If the NFL, a multi-billion dollar BUSINESS chooses to let their EMPLOYEES express their POLITICAL views on my nickel, F them...
This is demonstrably false, so privileged its hysterical and lacks in any historical perception of sports.

Negro league. Title IX. Bobby Riggs. Jackie Robinson. Doug Williams. Chris Jackson. Lewis Alcindor. Munich. 1980 Olympics. Ty Cobb. Fuzzy Zoeller. Dana Patrick. Jess Willard.

If you are a sports fan you know all of that. Reconcile it with your "no politics".

We’ll just agree to disagree on liberalism then lol. However, without setting you off on an anti-left wing tirade, I do believe there is a current trend of fake racist events (nooses, writing the n-word, Michael Bennett) that are increasingly be debunked. Constantly shouting racist is divisive and is detrimental to any type of productive discourse.

I agree with your post and think that you are coming from a fair and reasonable point of you although we are likely to disagree on several issues

Wonder what these players would be doing if there were no athletic scholarships or NFL jobs. Maybe they could move to Canada or France where there is no bad National Anthems.

These leaches suck up all the great things of this country and then bitch had bad everything is to them.

GTFOH
184374.png

I love RedZone. Best way to watch NFL, period.

Reactions: umprestige
I think a big component not mentioned in this thread “commercial”........

Is the constant “commercial” interruptions

Commercial

Here’s a play

Commercial

Review

Commercial

Punt

Commercial

Timeout

Commercial

Touchdown

Commercial

Kickoff

Commercial

FG

Commercial

Review

Commercial

Kickoff

Commercial

2 Minute Warning

Commercial

End of Quarter

Commercial

It’s unwatchable. They lose 30% of those commercials and, all of the sudden it becomes more watchable.

Reactions: Cane_Clyde
This remark is a bit gratuitous, but I wanted to state that this thread has made for some very interesting reading. Some of the knee-jerk responses and invective aside, this thread has demonstrated that we have some very thoughtful people on this board who have the ability to think analytically and articulate their positions. I am not easily impressed by the level of analytical thought on this board but I am very impressed with some of the opinions in this thread. Some people have obviously given this subject more thought than others.

Ratings? Show me a story that the nfl isn’t making the most money out of all the major leagues and than that will say something. The bottom line is the revenue and the NFL is still king through a lot of scandals: kapernick, trump, flag protests and anthem kneeling. But it still makes nearly double the revenue of the second highest grossing league not to mention the move to Vegas. NFL is still King

If it has nothing to do with race then why does 90 percent of the people that disagree with the protest are white and 90 percent of the people that see Kapernick's point of view are black.

What ever u believe has something to do with your perspective on race in tgis country. Everyone that disagrees with the playets arent racist and everyone that agrees with Kap dont hate the flag. Per usual the answer is in the middle but the issue has been hijacked by political opportunist on both sides.

The real dummies are the people that think that this will hurt the NFL's bottom line. The NFL makes its money off metchandise, as a marketing venue, buy selling PSA's and luxury squites and through its corporate connections. Regular fan that cates about this issue doesnt amount enough of a financial threat to put a dent in the NFL.

Stop fooling yourself. Go look at the year to date numbets of the NFL and compare them to like periods over the last ten years.

Also fo read the contract that the comissioner just signed.

The NFL couldve stop this in an instant but they dont give a damn because they are still billionaires and the people that are dug in on either side of this issue is still rolling out of their trailer park or project and giving them their money

I've never really heard "racism" as a cause. I mean people are upset up this anthem protest, which of course is silly when you realize players have sat for the anthem before and no one said a word until 2016. The president has intentionally tried to polarize an issue that as it works to his general strategy of "divide and anger" which of course has got people mad about something that they really don't care about......The NFL has a much bigger problem: Their product sucks. Fix the product and fans will come back.....
Do not blame the president he just told it like most Americans see it. The liberals are the biggest divide and anger group of folks. As far as the NFL the union and liberal politics have destroyed the NFL. There is no room for racism of any color of people but unfortunately the race card is played way to much by everyone.

So by your logic only people that precribe to progressive politics attribute to racism in this country. So the Kkk, neo nazi's the alt right are all just a bunch of liberal progressives? I don't care what your politics are personally and I normally dont respond to thes foolishness because I come here to get Canes informatiom and to escape the bullshit of our pilitical spin on both sides, but is hatd not to recognize when someone on either side says something thats so inheritedly false.

Man go read and stop listening to propaganda not based in fact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT